The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Furring heads- hot glue vs sewing  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Andy

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Good morning, Lovely!
    • My Tumblr!
    • Awards
  • Species: not even sure
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: plotting my latest fursuit
Furring heads- hot glue vs sewing
« on: July 28, 2016, 09:45:52 PM »
I see a lot of people who swear by sewing, and honestly I'd love to be able to sew my fur for my head, but I'm really really terrible at sewing. I want to have neat lines, but I feel like I'll end up ruining all my fur and my pattern won't work right because of how I've shaped my head. Is there a good way to hot glue? Should I try sewing (it's gonna be an expensive mistake *when* i mess up)?
Tacky Forum Signature

guest22811

Re: Furring heads- hot glue vs sewing
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 12:56:31 AM »
I would actually suggest sewing over gluing. Once you glue something on, it's gonna be hard to get off since it might rip some of the foam off with it. If you sew, you can simply pull the thread out and start again.
Don't worry, you'll get there. I was terrible at sewing when I made my fursuit head, but you can start on the back of the head so if you mess up too badly then it wont be very visible.

Just my opinion, find what works out for you best.

Offline Andy

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Good morning, Lovely!
    • My Tumblr!
    • Awards
  • Species: not even sure
  • Currently: plotting my latest fursuit
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 01:21:20 AM »
actually as I'm reading this right now, I'm about 15 minutes away from finishing the head entirely in glue. Since I used such a long pile, there are almost no seams visible. It still needs some work, and is nowhere near done, though. I plan on starting another head later in the fall and I might plan on sewing that one.
Tacky Forum Signature

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: {Aiklar http://aiklarspecies.webs.com/} & {Eastern Dragon}
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 115 lb
  • Build: Lean
  • Currently: Recuperating
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 01:06:35 PM »
A mix of both, gluing around the nose, eyes etc and sewing the seams would be the best, with a blanket stitch or something. I haven't sewn any of my heads due to my wrists being dumb both times, but it does look nicer :)