The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Fox Meadows (WIP)  (Read 909 times)

Offline ZielZorix

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Kinda hard to explain
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 215 lbs.
  • Build: Not extremely muscular, but is in shape.
  • Currently: Lonely, but optimistic
Fox Meadows (WIP)
« on: October 22, 2016, 11:38:45 PM »
The title is also a working title.  I tend to write in script format just so you guys know.  This is a story that I had in my head a long time ago and had forgotten it.  When I saw Zootopia for the first time, it brought the idea for the story back, and even gave me some new ideas for it.  I am really happy with the way it is going, but I am always looking for feedback.  Any feedback and critiques, as long as they are constructive, are welcome.

Ext. Rural Field - Late afternoon - Summer

The sun is setting on a late summer day with not a cloud in the sky. Kit -- a 10-year-old naturally inquisitive very intelligent Red Fox -- and his friend Barton -- a 10-year-old Coyote who speaks in a slight southern accent and is Watson to Kit's Holmes -- are dressed in very Holmes-esque costumes walking around the field.  Kit is carrying a magnifying glass with a small stalk of wheat sticking out of the side of his mouth and is looking at the ground obviously looking for clues.  Barton is following closely behind.

Barton

Found anything yet, Kit?

Kit

Not yet, but we need to keep our eyes open.  We could stumble upon a clue that could blow this mystery wide open at any moment.

Kit walks a few more feet and stops in his tracks, the stalk of wheat falling out of his mouth.  He has found something.

KIT

A-ha!

He reaches down and produces what would be to anyone else a rusty old bottle cap, but to him it is the find of the century.

Barton
What did you find?

close up

On the bottle cap in Kit's hands.

Kit

This.

Barton is not impressed.

Barton

A bottle cap?

KIT

Not just any bottle cap... A CLUE.  Sure, to the untrained eye it is just a mere bottle cap, but to those of us with a nose for clues and an mind for reasoning can see it is a small piece in a much larger puzzle!  The question simply, my good Barton, is what does it mean?!

BARTON

I think it means someone is a litter bug.

KIT

That's it!  We're on the trail of a litter bug!  All we have to do is follow the trail of things that the criminal has left on the ground, and they will lead us right to our...

A female voice calls from somewhere in the distance causing Kit's ears to prick up.  It is Kit's mother.

AMBER

Kit!  Time for dinner!

KIT

Oh!  That's my mom.  I gotta go.  See ya tomorrow, Barton!

BARTON

See ya later, Kit.

Kit runs through the field dodging obstacles such as low-hanging tree branches, jumping over a tree stump or two, and sliding underneath a barbed wire fence.  He emerges into the back yard of his family's house. 

Ext. Kit's back porch

His mother, Amber -- a Red Fox in her mid-30s -- is standing on the back porch of their home.  She is wearing a police officer's blue uniform, and her badge is hanging from her neck on a small silver chain.  She smiles when she sees her son sprinting toward her across the backyard.

KIT

Mom!

She kneels down as he barrels right into her arms.  She grunts with the force of the impact then laughs.

AMBER

Oof!  Easy.  Did you have fun playing today?

KIT

Sure did!

AMBER

That's great, sweetie.  Now come wash your hands, and let's eat.

Int. Kit's Family's kitchen

The kitchen is fairly large and styled in the kind of decor you might find in a mid-western rural farmhouse.  Kit is sitting at the small four-chair dinner table waiting for his food.  His mother is sitting across from him now dressed in a pair of pajama pants and plain t-shirt.  Kit's step-father, Darron Sly -- a Red Fox in his mid-30s and lifelong mechanic -- is standing at the stove ladling soup from a pot into three bowls.

Darron

Alright, everyone.  Soup's on.

Kit licks his chops as Darron places his bowl in front of him.  He takes one big whiff of the contents of the bowl, grabs his spoon and is about to dig in when Amber says his name.

AMBER

Kit.

Kit's ears lay back because he thinks he's done something wrong.

KIT

Yes, Ma'am?

AMBER

Did you thank your step-father?

Kit perks up as he realizes his simple mistake.

KIT

Oh, sorry!  Thanks, Darron!

DARRON

(chuckling)

You're welcome, buddy.

Darron places a bowl in front of Amber.

DARRON

Here ya go, hun.
They kiss.  Amber sniffs her bowl's contents as if it is ambrosia.

AMBER

Mmm...that smells amazing, Darron.

Darron

I hope so.  It's my famous fish stew - Salmon and Herring.  Dig in, guys.  Don't let it get cold.

Fade to

Kit and Darron are sitting at the table savoring the meal that they just ate.  Darron is picking his teeth with a toothpick.  Amber is putting away the few dishes she just finished washing.

DARRON

So, Kit, did you have fun playing with Barton today?

KIT

Yeah!  We were playing detective!

Amber turns from the sink to face them while drying her hands with a hand towel.

AMBER

Solve any mysteries yet?

She puts the towel on the counter, walks over to her son, and places her hands on his shoulders.

KIT

Almost.  We found a clue that has us on the trail of a litter bug!

Amber chuckles.

AMBER

Are you sure it isn't a...KITTER BUG!

She starts tickling his sides.  Kit laughs almost uncontrollably.

DARRON

Hey, Kit.  With all this detective talk -- Have you ever thought about what you want to be when you grow up?

KIT

A detective!

Darron chuckles.

DARRON

Well, there's no surprise there.

AMBER

You know, son, you don't just start out as a detective.  You have to start out as a normal police officer and work your way up first.

Darron leans forward and rests his arms on the table.

DARRON

But if you work hard and refuse to give up, no matter how hard things get; Then you can be anything you want to be, and no one will be able to stop you.

Kit smiles ear-to-ear and slowly sits up taller as he hears this, filled with the excitement of being a detective one day.

AMBER

Now run upstairs and take a bath.  It's getting close to bed time...

Kit gets up from the table and runs to the stairs.

From the top of the stairs looking down

Kit quickly runs up the stairs.  Amber appears at the bottom of the stairs and yells up after him.

AMBER

...AND DON'T FORGET TO BRUSH YOUR TEETH!

(I am going to have to divide this up into several posts because it exceeds the maximum character amount.)

Offline ZielZorix

• Avid Aardvark
Re: Fox Meadows (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 11:40:31 PM »
Int. Kit's bedroom - 1 Hour Later...

Kit is sitting in his bed dressed in his pajamas drinking a small glass of water. Amber is sitting on the edge of the bed patiently waiting for him to finish.  Once he does, he wiggles down underneath his blankets as Amber takes the glass from him and places it on his bedside table next to his "Holmes" hat and magnifying glass.

AMBER

There we go.  Now let's get you all tucked it.

She does.

AMBER

There.  All nice and comfy.

KIT

Mom...can I ask you a question?

AMBER

Sure, sweetheart.

KIT

Why did you become a police officer?

Amber thinks about it for a beat.

AMBER

Well...I like helping others, and I don't like seeing bad things happen to good people.  And what better way to keep that from happening than by becoming a cop.  Now, no more talk.
She leans down and kisses Kit's forehead.

AMBER

It's bedtime.

She gets up and walks to the door.  She places her finger on the light switch next to the door and is about to turn the lights off when Kit calls her name.

KIT

Mom.

She smiles and turns back toward him.

AMBER

Yes?

KIT

Good night.

Kit pulls the blankets up around himself and rolls over onto his side.  Amber smiles warmly as she turns off the lights and leaves the room closing the door behind her.

AMBER

Sweet dreams, my little kitter bug.

FADE TO BLACK

Int. Lobby of Precinct 101 - Early Morning - 15 years later

FADE IN

Kit, now 25 and disillusioned with the reality of being a cop, walks into the station with his fur ruffled as if he had a rough night, sipping a cup of coffee.

Norma Stamps, a middle-aged female Elk with a sunny personality who speaks in a strong mid-western accent a la Fargo, is sitting at the main desk in the lobby of the station working on her computer, a steaming cup of tea on the counter in front of her.

Norma

Morning, Kit.

KIT

Morning, Norma.

He sips his coffee as he stops in front of the counter to converse for a bit.

NORMA

Rough night?

KIT

More restless than rough.  Had trouble sleeping.

NORMA

Sorry to hear that.  Well, maybe today won't be too difficult for ya so you can sleep easy tonight.

KIT

That'd be nice, but my luck isn't that good.

Amber, now in her early-50s and a member of Haven City's Special Investigations Unit, walks up to the two of them holding a small stack of manila file folders.

AMBER

You never know.  You could end up doing nothing but traffic stops today.  Parking duty might be in the cards as well.  I heard through the grapevine that Chief Odeur is thinking about rotating people in and out of parking duty every week, kitter bug.

Kit smiles at the use of that nickname.  It used to bother him, but not so much anymore.  Amber smiles warmly at her son.

AMBER

There's the smile I like to see.

She reaches out and smooths the fur on his head back, like a mother whose son forgot to brush his hair before school.

AMBER

You shouldn't get so down all the time, son.  It doesn't suit you.  Now, get to the bullpen, or you'll be late.

Kit is noticeably in a better mood.

KIT

Thanks, Mom.

He calls over his shoulder as he walks off towards the bullpen.

KIT

I needed that!

Amber stands there with Norma and smiles as she watches her son walk away.

NORMA

(fondly)

They grow up so fast.

AMBER

(Sigh)

Yeah, they do.

She stands there for a short beat before turning back to Norma, businesslike.

AMBER

Anyway.  Norma, I need a favor.

NORMA

Okay, shoot.

AMBER

I need you to take these files and make triplicates of them.

NORMA

Okie dokie!

Offline ZielZorix

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 11:42:51 PM »
CUT TO

INT. PRECINCT 101 BULLPEN

All of the officers are gathered in the bullpen sitting at various tables conversing with each other, some more raucously than others.  Kit is sitting at the table closest to the front casually talking at random while still nursing his coffee.

A Grizzly Bear officer standing next to a podium at the front of the room jerks to attention and calls the other officers to do the same.

GRIZZLOFF
ATTENTION!

The door leading into the bullpen flies open and in walks Chief Connie Odeur -- a tough, no-nonsense skunk in her early-to-mid 50s.

She ascends a stepladder behind the podium so she can see over it and glare at her officers.  She places a small stack of case files that she was carrying on the podium in front of her and glares at the officers in front of her.  They are greeting her as a football team would greet a coach before a big game.

CONNIE

Alright SHUT IT, you animals!

She opens a folder on the podium as the officers quiet down and take their seats.

CONNIE

Thank you, Grizzloff.

Grizzloff takes his seat.

CONNIE

Before I get to assignments, I have a few announcements.  First item: Please join me in welcoming our newest member of the Haven City SWAT Team -- former Military Police Captain, Jake Dundee.

SHOT OF

a golden-furred male Dingo in his mid-30s.  The other members of the SWAT Team that are sitting near him welcome him with handshakes and loud greetings.

CONNIE

Item number two: Officer Sly...Happy Birthday.

The other officers raucously wish Kit a happy birthday.  A large female Timber Wolf sitting behind him playfully ruffles the fur on his head to the point that it looks like it did before Amber straightened it.

FANGMAN

Happy Birthday, little buddy!

Kit starts to straighten his fur.

KIT

(annoyed)

Thanks, Fangman.

CONNIE

Settle down.  Settle down.

Connie looks around for a second as if she is trying to spot someone.  She notices the empty chair next to Kit.

CONNIE

Well, it seems that item number three isn't--

A female voice calls from outside the door to the bull pen.  It starts distant and grows closer as if it is running for the door.

SIERRA

Wait!  I'm coming!  I'm almost there!

The door to the bullpen flies open and in walks Sierra Tundris -- a Grey Fox in her early-20s.  She is the type of person that likes to help others and just wants to help make the world a little safer.  She is panting from running.

SIERRA

(apologetically)

I am so sorry I'm late!  I got stuck in traffic on my way here.

(to herself)

First day on the job, and I'm late!  I don't believe this!

She sits in the empty chair next to Kit.

CONNIE

(Sternly)

Don't let it happen again, or it's a write up.

SIERRA

Yes, ma'am!

Connie returns to her previous business-like demeanor.

CONNIE

Alright, that brings me to items three and four.  Everyone, please welcome our newest recruit, Officer Sierra Tundris.

The other officers, including Kit, welcome her half-heartedly.

CONNIE

Kit, you've been flying solo for a while now...but, that ends today.  Officer Tundris is your new partner.

KIT

(under his breath)

Great.  Babysitting duty.

Sierra extends her paw in greeting.

SIERRA

Nice to meet you...partner!

Kit shakes her paw unenthusiastically.

KIT

(Deadpan)

Yeah.  Likewise.

CONNIE

Alright, that's all of the small talk out of the way.  Assignments:  Officers Sly and Tundris.  Prairie Plaza beat patrol.  Head downstairs to the garage and Snuffowitz will assign you a new vehicle.

KIT

New vehicle?!

CONNIE

Can't have a partner on a one-man motorcycle.

Kit

(Sarcastically; to himself)
Great.  I get a partner AND lose my bike.

Kit and Sierra exit the room.

Int. Precinct 101 Motor pool garage

Kit and Sierra exit the elevator that enters the garage and start walking towards the caged-in desk for the Motor Pool's director.  Sierra attempts to strike up a conversation

SIERRA

So...how long have you been on the force?

KIT

Four years this year.

SIERRA

Wow.  I bet you've seen a lot of interesting things in those four years, huh?

KIT

You could say that.

SIERRA

So, what's the typical day usually li--

Kit turns to her.

KIT

(interrupts)

Look...I had a rough night last night -- I didn't sleep very well.  Plus, I'm losing my motorcycle today.  I just want to get this car, and get the day started.  Okay?

Sierra

Okay.

The continue walking.

SIERRA

Sorry if I am annoying you with all of these questions.

KIT

It's okay.

They come to a stop in front of the director's caged in desk.

KIT

We haven't had any rookies in at least two years, so I guess I forgot how many questions they can have.

He presses a red button with a sign above it that reads "Press buzzer for assistance."  A buzzer sounds somewhere behind the cage.  A voice with a slight southern accent calls from somewhere in side the cage.

BARTON

Hang on.  I'll be there in a second.

A few seconds pass and Barton, now in his mid-20s and taller than Kit, emerges from a door inside the cage off to the right.

BARTON

Alrighty.  So, what can I do you for...

He stops mid-statement as he looks out of the cage and sees Kit and Sierra standing there.  His eyes widen in surprise as he realizes who he is looking at.

BARTON

Well, I'll be!

Kit is just as surprised as he is.

KIT

Barton Snuffowitz?

BARTON

Kit Sly!  Oh my gosh!

Barton exits the cage.  Kit and Barton hug each other like two brothers would before Barton grabs him in a choke hold and gives him a noogie.

Barton

I haven't seen you in a dog's age!

He releases Kit who playfully punches him in the arm.

KIT

Dude, it's been ten years!  How have you been, man?  Wh-what are you doing here?  Where's Simmons?

BARTON

I'm the director of the Motor Pool now.  Simmons retired six months ago.  I got all of my mechanic certifications about six years ago. I've been over at Precinct 303 ever since.  Mom got the chance to retire early and move home about a year ago, so I was out in Arctic Central by myself for a bit.  Then Simmons retired, and this position came open.  He agreed to stay on until they could find his replacement...me!  I've only been here for about a month.  It feels good to be home though.  So what about you?  What have you been up to?

KIT

Oh, ya know, just celebrating four years on the force.  Working my way up the food chain. 

Barton sees Sierra standing a few feet behind Kit waiting patiently.

BARTON

And who is this beautiful young lady?

SIERRA

Oh, um, thank you.

She walks forward with her paw extended.

SIERRA

I'm Sierra Tundris.

Barton gently shakes her paw in greeting, the perfect gentleman.

BARTON

Well, it's nice to meet you, Miss Tundris.

He releases her hand, and starts to walk back towards his caged-in area.

BARTON

You'll need to keep your eye on this one.  He's a bit of a trouble maker.

Once he is back in his cage, he sits down in front of his computer and starts typing.

KIT

Me?  What about you?  Remember eighth grade science class?

Barton stops typing momentarily and looks at Kit with a raised eyebrow that says "Really?"

BARTON

Dude, that was your fault.

KIT

Oh yeah, it was.

Barton resumes typing.

BARTON

So, you guys need a patrol car.  You're lucky you got partnered with a veteran, Sierra.  Uh, do you mind if I call you Sierra?

She smiles.

SIERRA

Not at all.  Do you mind if I call you Barton?

BARTON

Go right ahead.  Well, as I was saying, we would normally give a rookie Old Bessie over there...

He motions behind him with his thumb to an old, beat up jalopy Crown Victoria-style police cruiser.

BARTON

...but since you are partnered with a veteran -- one who happens to be an old friend of mine -- I think I will hook you guys up and give you one of the brand spankin' new cruisers we just got in last week.

He begins to search through the logs of available cruisers on his computer.

BARTON

Let's see...you guys can have...Car 801. 

He reaches behind him to a peg board that all of the keys to the cruisers are hanging from.  He picks up the set of keys underneath the tag "801" and hands them through an opening in the cage to Kit.

BARTON

There ya go.  She's in space B12, like the vitamin.

Kit takes the keys, and he and Sierra start walking away. Barton calls after them.

BARTON

It was good seeing you again, Kit!

KIT

You too, buddy!

BARTON

You guys stay safe out there!

KIT

Always!

Barton watches them walk away for a short beat before turning and yelling to one of his mechanics.

BARTON

(Yelling)

Hey, Arthur!  Car 626 needs new brakes and a brake line...and rotate them tires while you're at it!

Offline ZielZorix

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 11:44:51 PM »
INT. PRECINCT 101 MOTOR POOL GARAGE - FURTHER IN

Kit and Sierra are still walking further into the garage.

Single of

Sierra looking around at all of the different police vehicles they are passing.

SIERRA

(to herself)

I never realized there were so many different vehicles down here.

(to Kit)

So, what's the story between you and Bart--

She runs into the back of Kit who has stopped dead in his tracks.

SIERRA

Ow.  Sorry about that.  I didn't see that you had--

She stops mid-sentence.

Pan OUt

to Kit staring open-mouthed in amazement at something.  Sierra's eye widen in amazement as well.

SIERRA

Whoa.

A smile crosses Kit's face.

KIT

Ya know...

Cut to

Single shot

of a police cruiser in parking space B12 that looks like a cross between a new-style Camaro and a Dodge Charger.

KIT

...today might not be so bad after all.