The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Some fursuit help on starting  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Most Online
  • A true gentleman fights to protect
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Western Feral Dragon
  • Coloring: Black body,wings(underside is red), Red underbelly, silver-ish Spikes along spine
  • Height: 6' 12''
  • Weight: 217
  • Build: Muscular
Some fursuit help on starting
« on: December 10, 2016, 02:42:58 PM »
I've been contemplating on whether or not to make a fursuit, and I'd like your guys opinion on the process.

So, my main OC; the character you see me as on here is the character I want to make as a fursuit, the problem is that my Dragon is as most dragons are, a hairless and scaley creatures, but his scales are soft.

So, what parts should I start with; what would be the best material for it; what's the initial cost in total.

Also, I want to know how much time it might take to make one with a school schedule.

^ Is really happy, and spreads positivity around the forums and even the world. This person is a really cool and friendly person, and really deserves everything life has to offer. This person is how everyone should be like. When I grow up, I want to be just like Razuel

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: {Aiklar http://aiklarspecies.webs.com/} & {Eastern Dragon}
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 115 lb
  • Build: Lean
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Recuperating
Re: Some fursuit help on starting
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 03:10:28 PM »
My first fullsuit took me about 7 months, including school, swim team and work.

I think maybe minky would look good, if you're looking for something a bit more fuzzy, or maybe fleece or even flannel if you want almost no softs. I always start with the head, since it's the most detailed and takes the most time. Would you want to make it out of foam or resin/moving jaw? There's really nice resin dragon blanks http://dreamvision-creations.myshopify.com/collections/point-nose-dragon
http://dreamvision-creations.myshopify.com/collections/round-nose-horned-dragon-mask-blank

My first suit (also using a blank from DVC) cost around 300$, but a lot of things vary on what materials you decide on, foam or resin head, and if it's going to be a fullsuit, partial, etc :)

I'm always happy to help/give links, if you wanted me to :)

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Most Online
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Black body,wings(underside is red), Red underbelly, silver-ish Spikes along spine
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 03:51:43 PM »
I'd probably do a full suit, and I want a moving jaw too... I was thinking like a soft you'd find on a carnival plushie; Soft but not fluffy

^ Is really happy, and spreads positivity around the forums and even the world. This person is a really cool and friendly person, and really deserves everything life has to offer. This person is how everyone should be like. When I grow up, I want to be just like Razuel

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 04:42:19 PM »
Alrighty, then maybe a fleece would be good. I'd probably just go to a fabric store is there's one near you, and touch all the fabric to see what you like XD
How tall are you? I usually get 3-4 yards of main color and 2 yards off color for my fursuit, and I'm 5'3". I have a lot left over, but 4 yards is usually a good amount for the main color.

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 04:52:07 PM »
Currently I'm 6ft 1inch... I think... around there... but I still have room to grow.

I also have a wide shoulder span

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 03:06:31 PM »
Alrighty, 4 yards shoudl be good still for the main color, maybe 2 yards for the secondary color. If you want to paly it safe and have some extra for repairs, you can always bump the yardage up 1 or more :)

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 03:12:58 PM »
Okay, thanks!

Just an FYI, my shoulder span is approximately 3/4 of a meter long

Offline Fuzzpaws

• Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Poster
  • Learning the wisdom of the wolf
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral Wolf
  • Coloring: White with black and grey frosting, generally a Native American feather dangle from one ear.
  • Height: big... a little over 40" at shoulders when 4 footing, over 6' standing
  • Weight: 190 +
  • Build: like a very healthy, active wolf should look!
  • Currently: learning... so much to learn!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 04:53:12 PM »
maybe felt for the scales....
Fuzzpaws the Wolf (temporarily)

(2 spirits, one body, one mind shared by both
Apache's call it Naake ni)

(Avatar artist unknown, will remove if needed)

guest22811

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 02:00:14 PM »
I personally hate the use of felt, it just looks so... 'school craft'-ish if that makes sense lmao. Fleece is great, but I personally don't like it due to it's lintish appearance.
It's really up to you. As Nori said, I think you should go to your local fabric store and touch all the fabric xd search for fabric with fluffy fibres :P

For a full suit, using a dtd is the best for a snug fit, however if you want to use a pattern it's fine. I can imagine the pain of wrapping your entire body with 3 layers of duct tape ;-;

As for the moving jaw:
imo, they aren't that hard to make as it seems but you will need a balaclava and head dummy. Elastic is then sewed / attached to the balaclava like this: https://31.media.tumblr.com/6b39fcf540d3413958cb06404e4220d9/tumblr_inline_n965kar5lz1r45t53.jpg . When making the head, make the jaw seperate from the head. !!! Make sure when making it that the jaw is low enough to support the bottom of your chin! xd !!! I did not use any springs/hinges for my moving jaw but if you think its necessary then do so! :D

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 01:27:20 PM »
There are fabric materials out there (soft, but also furry ones) which have scaly patterns, you could always look for that. Heck, if it's black you're looking for, I;'m sure that is one of the easier to find types of fabrics.
Or something along those lines :S

You can make it pretty quick, but take your time. If you work on it every day, you'll get it done really fast.

• Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter