The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: My OTHER crap. :P  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Self-sain

• The Unlikely Love
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • black and white isn't to bad
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Foat (Bat/Fox)
  • Coloring: purpule
  • Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 112
  • Build: thin some tone
  • Currently: Done with everything
My OTHER crap. :P
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:26:25 PM »
Sorry this thread needs to be put down
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 01:56:22 AM by Self-sain »
if you ever want to see Lil Johny again...
YOU WILL LOOK D:<

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
Re: My OTHER crap. :P
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:39:19 PM »
Ok you need setting. You say they're in a cell but they're in the open air, and how can one "stand over" water? you mean lean over? I've no idea where they are, why they're there, what they're doing or what's going on. All i know is that they're next to a river and no-one's watching them. So there definitely needs to be explanation and clarification.

There is an idea hidden in there, I just dont know what it is because you're not telling me. The setting and the premise will allow me to put things into perspective and judge things fairly.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Self-sain

• The Unlikely Love
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 05:31:26 PM »
Ok I see so I need to add more settings details,  and the rest I decied ill add to as the stroy goes on

Offline vancouversarah

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • We can't stop here. This is bat country.
    • Awards
  • Species: Siberian/Bengal Tiger Mix
  • Coloring: White with black stripes, blue eyes.
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 140 lbs
  • Build: Slim but not fit; comes from being a city tiger.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 06:39:38 AM »
I think the dialogue could use some work. The way the characters talk to each other is unnatural. For example, "Come we must set off [while] we still have a chance", could sound more natural if it was something like, "We have to go while we still have a chance".

There is a fantasy element evident here which may have made you think that your characters need to speak in a very formal, old fashioned way. Luckily, we don't need to write fantasy this way any more. Compare dialogue in something like A Wizard of Earthsea to the dialogue in Nine Princes in Amber (interestingly, these books were published only 2 years apart). The dialogue in Amber is far more natural than the stiff language of Wizard.

Think of how the people around you talk when writing dialogue. If your main character's best friend is hatching a brilliant escape plan, it would probably sound like your best friend hatching a plan. A caution on that tip though if you're writing sci fi or fantasy; avoid using contemporary slang. If your characters are prone to using slang you'll have to develop your own.

I know we've mentioned this before, but I will bring it up again because in this case it actually had a negative impact on comprehension; please edit your samples. Bad grammar, poor word choice and misused punctuation get in the way of getting to the actual meat of the story. It'd be great to just work on setting or dialogue without worrying about proofreading. If you're not sure what to edit for check out this list for editing essays which is easily adapted to short stories: http://grammar.about.com/od/correctingerrors/a/editchecklist.htm

At any rate, I'm almost hooked! I want to know who these people are and why they are prisoners/slaves/serfs/whatever it is that they turn out to be. And what sort of arcane powers are we talking about here? I'm looking forward to seeing a touched up and expanded version of this sample!
Sarah
Cira Altacia

Offline Self-sain

• The Unlikely Love
  • Prancing Pony
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 09:47:03 AM »
Thanks its greatly appreciated and the little information on the dialogue helps to I wouldn't of even of know that if it weren't for you

So ill try and have a revised version of the story up by today thanks for the help

Offline WolfCubLorent

• Avid Aardvark
  • I'm the light within the darkness
    • Awards
  • Species: Siberian Eclipse Hucky Cub
  • Coloring: Baby blue eyes, silverish gray fur with a hint of light blue colored furr running down back from head to tail
  • Height: 1'1
  • Weight: 12oz
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 01:10:31 PM »
Well I agree with the setting details as well but the dialog is fine okay, some people actualy do talk like that, and personally I believe that it gives them charecters there own personality. Remember a charecters way of talking ahs to MATCH their personality, but you should also try to use more dialog too.....everything is imporatant, every little detail, eplaining every part of the story during seperate parts of it, and the charecters and their personality and looks is going back to detail but yeah good starting point.
-Pain Is Weakness Leaving My Body-

Yes I'm a Siberian Elcipse Husky Cub who's also a TB/DL. I'm cute and cuddly along with a little bite :P. My name is Lorent, and yes I'm bisexual also, I write poetry short stories and lyrics.
My Family whom I LOVE <333333333333333333333

Daddy Shinzuu aka-Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy

Younger Sis My aka-Mystique
Older Sister Shera aka-SheraDead
Younger Sis Nyyri aka-Nyyrikkia

Older Bro Shiro aka-Shiro Chan
Younger Brother Resa aka-Resa F
Twin Brother Gray aka-HowlTheGrayWolf
Younger Bro Buddy aka-BuddyWolf

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 10:14:25 PM »
oh much much much better. Rich descriptions with only a few spelling errors. And there is a rather exciting swathe of subtlety to it all. Like you dont say who has imprisoned these people, because why would they mention something that's assumed knowledge in the imagined world. It kepeps things mysterious without seeming contrived.

One major error though, it appears that he gets forced into a little house... why is he forced into a little house, and then allowed to just walk out of it?
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Offline vancouversarah

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 11:38:11 PM »
Great editing job! I was much more drawn into the story this time. I'd like to see more; don't leave us hanging. :)
Sarah
Cira Altacia

Offline Self-sain

• The Unlikely Love
  • Prancing Pony
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 11:51:51 PM »
Well him being forced in isn't like him being forced in the house just confined it will be explained and I plan on adding more bit I'm a little busy >…< saway

Offline vancouversarah

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 12:40:40 AM »
I plan on adding more bit I'm a little busy >…< saway

Don't ya just hate in when stuff like "responsibilities" and "real life" and "doing the laundry" get in the way of writing? ;)
Sarah
Cira Altacia

Offline Self-sain

• The Unlikely Love
  • Prancing Pony
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 04:42:18 AM »
Actually I do D: XD

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 04:18:11 PM »
the dialogue is a bit stronger and more believable, but still has some way to go. the characters are engaging but i think things need to get moving a bit