The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The WhiteFox Chronicles.  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Srgntcuddles

• Seargant of cuddles.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Poster
  • Game time!
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: White
  • Height: 6'5"
  • Weight: 175
  • Build: Average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Sad and needs hugs.
The WhiteFox Chronicles.
« on: March 20, 2010, 05:44:03 PM »
Well, I'm finally posting some of my work. This isn't a serious thing I'm working on, just something to help fix my writers block. I'm working on two other projects as a serious thing, hopefully to be published one day. Don't be afraid to criticize, I can suck up the harsh stuff to help better myself. The story I'll be showing you is based on the Half-Life Two universe. It's a game created by Valve, it's really quite fun. The story I'm telling is all true, it took place on a server in Garrys mod, a popular game mod for most Valve products. Anyway, most everything written really transpired on this gamemode. I hope you enjoy it. Now on to the first chapter.

Chapter one:
New guy on the block.

John stepped off the with his suitcase in hand. He was the only one getting off as he stepped into the almost empty train station. A man reading a paper leaning against the wall looked over the top of his paper and followed John with his eyes as he made his way to the door. John opened the door and was met with the cold rush of the night air on a swift breeze. He shivered as he walked along side a barren road and rounded the corner of a building.

As John rounded the corner he bumped into someone and fell backwards. He rubbed his head and looked up to see what he ran into. A look of fear filled John’s face as he realized what he ran into; it was a Combine unit. The unit glared at John through it’s plain white mask, with it’s almost glowing yellow eyeholes. The unit’s black leather outfit crinkled as it bent over and grabbed John by the collar of his blue jumpsuit. With one hand it brought John up to eye level with itself. “Citizen.” chirped the unit in a robotic-like voice. “Y-Yes?” asked John in a fearful tone. “Apply.” said the unit it it’s robotic-like voice. “J-John Loch, ID number six-eight-nine-three-one, sir.” stuttered John.

The unit let go of John and opened a small screen on its arm and typed something in. “Can I go?” asked John leaning over to grab his suitcase. The unit stopped looking at the screen on its arm and flicked on its stun baton. Before John could react he was jabbed in the gut; a surge of electricity brought him to his knees. The unit then jabbed him in the neck sending another surge through his body. John began to lose consciousness as he hit the ground. As his vision faded all he could hear was the chuckle of the unit as it kicked John in the ribs.

John opened his eyes and looked around; he was in a room with a bed against the wall. He noticed he was on a red couch as he sat up and looked around some more. A toilet flushed from the next room and a man walked out and looked at John surprised. “Oh, your awake, eh?” asked the man. The man was skinny looking with short black hair. He wore the standard citizen attire, a blue one piece jumpsuit, the same as John’s. John rubbed his head, running his fingers through his spiked white hair and looked at the man. “Where am I?” “Forty fifths apartments, room four B.” replied the man. “How did I-…” “Combine dragged ya in here last night and told me you’re my new roommate.” said the man walking over to the fridge. He pulled out two bottles of water and tossed one to John. “Got a name?” asked the man. “I’m Edgar.”

The bottle landed next to John on the couch and rolled to his leg; the coldness of the bottle quickly pierced his thin clothing. “It’s John.” he replied grabbing the bottle of water and opening it. As John drank Edgar extended his hand to shake. “Nice to meet ya.” John shook his hand and with a satisfied voice replied. “Likewise.” “Your new in town, aren’t‘cha?” asked Edgar with a smirk. “Yeah actually.” replied John taking another drink of water. “C’mon, I’ll show ya around.” said Edgar walking to the door.

John got up and followed him. Edgar unlocked his door and they both stepped out, John stood idle by while Edgar locked the door behind them. Loud speakers came to life suddenly throughout the city. “Attention, citizens, ration distribution is now online.” “Perfect timing, let’s go get some grub.” said Edgar walking down the hallway. John followed him, they went down two flights of stairs and down another hallway. They continued onward through the lobby and outside; people were all moving towards an old theatre down the road. John followed Edgar to the theatre and went inside with him. There were several citizens all in blue jumpsuits facing a small opening in a thick, blue tinted glass window; the tink was so thick you couldn’t see through it.

John got in line behind Edgar as a few more people came in and lined up behind him. John looked around and saw a few Combine looking over the line waiting for someone to hit; tapping their batons impatiently on their palms. As the line progressed John heard a Combine’s voice. “Apply.” Soon Edgar was next, after the Combine uttered in it’s chilling voice “Apply” he leaned down to answer. “James Smith, ID number three-three-seven-eight-nine.” A few beeps were heard as the Combine behind the window punched some things into a computer at its side. John looked at Edgar confused; not saying anything as he grabbed his ration and walked off. John approached the window slowly, waiting for his turn to respond in the brief exchange of words that occurred in this moment.

“Apply.” “John Loch, ID number six-eight-nine-three-one.” said John leaned down a bit. Punching of buttons was heard and shortly a ration package protruded from the opening. John grabbed it and walked out of the theatre. “Hey, see you managed to get your ration.” said Edgar with a smile as he leaned on the wall of the theatre. John looked back at him, still confused about before. “James?” asked John walking up to Edgar. “Yeah, I use that name to lay low and keep off the radar.” replied Edgar getting off the wall. “I hope your not causing any trouble for him.” said John fumbling with his ration trying to get it open. “He won’t mind, he’s dead.” said Edgar motioning for John to follow him as he walked back towards the apartments. John’s face grimaced as he followed Edgar back to his apartment.

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
Re: The WhiteFox Chronicles.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 06:21:07 PM »
It's good, though i would like more description so i know what's going on. You didn't mention john's spiky white hair until half way through, and really that's something you should say straight away. Also, avoid repeating words in the same sentence or following sentences, otherwise the word becomes more and more prominent and more and more in the way. Oh yeah and new person speaking means new line made. Also, if you're gonna use the HL universe, use HL terms. The Combine units who deal with day to day control are the Civil Protection, and they're not dead. They're the most human of the lot. They side with the combine because it gets them privelages like extra rations. That's why Barney could disguise himself as one without seeming out of place among a bunch of biomechanical robots.

Fix all that, then we can get to the story, proper since this is all just scene setting and build-up. Anyone who has played HL2 has seen it all before, but it is necessary for those who havent played it.

So good work, nice intro and lets flow into the meat of the story. :) cus I wanna see what happens.

Oh yeah and Edgar seems cool.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Srgntcuddles

• Seargant of cuddles.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Poster
  • Game time!
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 07:20:29 PM »
I figured you would be the first to post. But thanks for the tips, appreciate them.

And yeah, Edgar is one of the cooler characters in this story, atleast until I get to the antagonist.  :P

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 08:27:05 PM »
I figured you would be the first to post.
I see it as my duty to writers everywhere :P
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Offline vancouversarah

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • We can't stop here. This is bat country.
    • Awards
  • Species: Siberian/Bengal Tiger Mix
  • Coloring: White with black stripes, blue eyes.
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 140 lbs
  • Build: Slim but not fit; comes from being a city tiger.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 08:51:07 PM »
I'm not familiar with the HL universe so please take what i say with that in mind.

As I was reading your sample, I was reminded of a problem I often have; when to use dialogue. It was good when John first got off the train and met the Combine/Civil Protection because it established a futuristic and militaristic tone. However, I was unsure about featuring John's dialogue when he and Edgar went to get their rations. Obviously it's important to Edgar's character development that we hear what he says to the Combine/Civil Protection, but I'm not sure that we needed to hear John apply again.

Hopefully we can generate some discussion on using dialogue; like I said, it's something I struggle with and I bet I'm not the only one.

I'm looking forward to reading chapter 2!
Sarah
Cira Altacia

Offline Srgntcuddles

• Seargant of cuddles.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Game time!
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 09:54:41 PM »
I've been working on Chapter 2 today, I've been using the feedback I've gotten to better it. But, Sarah, Edgar doesn't talk to the Combine in the first chapter and I don't think he'll be doing it in the second chapter either. And as for John applying a second time, it's to show that in order to recieve food, the Combine need to know who you are first, so you don't just jump to the back of the line when you get your ration. Edgar gets his time to shine, trust me. ;)

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 10:24:21 PM »
Soon Edgar was next, after the Combine uttered in it’s chilling voice “Apply” he leaned down to answer. “James Smith, ID number three-three-seven-eight-nine.”
He does talk to the combine.

Offline Srgntcuddles

• Seargant of cuddles.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Game time!
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 10:33:23 PM »
I figured she meant "Edgar doesn't talk to the Combine much, it doesn't describe his feeling towards them." That's how I took it.

Offline Srgntcuddles

• Seargant of cuddles.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Game time!
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 08:06:11 AM »
Well, here is chapter two. I would have had it up yesterday but I had something very big drop in my lap that morning and had to deal with it the rest of the day, giving me no time to work on it. Also all day today I worked on it, I just got to finish it up tonight, staying up an extra 3 hours than I usually do to finish it. Anyway, before we get started, I want to get feedback on my dialogue usage, see if I got that right. John also experiences a flashback early on about his past. The chapter was originally going to be titled "Troubled past" but i changed it to what it is now, because it is mostly Edgar taking John around the city. Also, the currency is introduced and three new characters are introduced, the first is Ompi Yoodie, a short Asian guy. You might be able to tell something is wrong with him, there is; he has a speech problem which makes him replace his "L"s with "R"s. He also has another outstanding personality trait you will hopefully pick up on. Without further adue! Chapter two!

Chapter two:
Tour guide.

John sat across from Edgar at a small round table in the corner of the apartment. They both ate their cold Chinese takeout that was supplied in the ration package and remained quiet. John looked around the room as he ate. Next to the bed against the wall was a nightstand with a small drawer in it which was open slightly. Next to the red couch stood a lamp with flowers printed on it’s shade. John opened a can of water as he continued to look around spotting a dresser at the foot of the bed. “Don’t drink that!” choked out Edgar still swallowing a bit of food. John had stopped the can inches from his lips ready to drink it.

John lowered the can and looked at Edgar. “Why not?” asked John as he set it down on the table. Edgar stabbed his fork back into his box of takeout and beat his chest to get the rest of his food down. He stood up, grabbed the can of water and walked to the sink. “The Breen’s water is laced with some bad chemicals.” he replied as he poured the contents of the can down the drain. “Chemicals? What kind of chemicals?” asked John turning in his chair to watch Edgar. “Not really sure, but we know its to make citizens more obedient, a brainwashing tactic of the Combine…” replied Edgar as he finished pouring out the can down the drain. He trashed it and went over to the fridge.

Edgar opened the fridge and slid a few of the cans of Breen’s water aside, he then pulled out another bottle of water. He closed the door and walked back to the table. “Ya drink this.” he said setting the bottle on the table. “Not that crap.” Edgar sat down and began to eat again. “Alright, thanks for the heads up.” said John before taking another bite of food. “It’s no problem.” said Edgar. They both sat quietly for a few more minutes as they ate until Edgar spoke up. “So, ya got any family around?”

John remained silent, memories flooding his mind.
“Hey, John, you okay?”
“I’m fine, Vincent…”
“C’mon, we gotta keep moving or we’ll be picked up by a patrol.”

“John? John!” said Edgar snapping his fingers. “You okay?” John shook his head at looked at Edgar. “Yeah, yeah, I’m fine…”  “So do you have any family?” Edgar asked again. “Yeah, a brother and a cousin…” replied John, seeming uncomfortable. “Yeah? Lucky you, what about parents? They still around?” asked Edgar taking the last bite of his Chinese takeout. “Their both dead…” John said glumly setting his empty box of takeout on the table. Edgar had a tough time swallowing the bite of food. “Sorry to hear that.” said Edgar after managing to swallow his food. John got up and threw away empty box of his food then tossed his fork in the sink.

Edgar stood up suddenly and looked at John. “Hey, c’mon, lets show ya around the city! How ‘bout it?” he said as he pushed in his chair and threw away his empty box. “Sure, sounds fun…” shrugged John. Edgar walked to the door and John followed him out. Halfway down the hall Edgar stopped. “Hey, John, wait here a sec, I forgot something.”  John said nothing and just leaned on the wall as Edgar ran back to the room. He went in and a few moments later came back out. “Alright, let’s go.” They both continued down the rest of the hallway, down the stairs and out through the lobby. As they exited the building they were met with the sun beating down on them from high in the sky.

The city was filled with citizens walking about doing mindless tasks for the Civil Protection units that were patrolling the streets. John noticed the citizens working; picking up various pieces of trash or scrubbing walls to earn extra tokens. Someone started to scream, catching everyone’s attention. It was a man being dragged by his arms by two Civil Protection units down the road. The man kicked and screamed, pleading to be released as they two units dragged him down  hill further down the road. John and Edgar were going in that direction so they saw him be dragged into a door that slid open, leading into a massive building. Edgar nudged John in the shoulder to break his gaze of the man and then walked into a building. John looked up and saw a sign above the door reading “Two brothers’ Trading goods.”.

John went inside after Edgar and looked around. The store was empty customer wise, but there were pictures on the wall. A few tables with potted plants, a few chairs and a blue couch with stripes. John saw Edgar leaning over the counter which no one was behind. “Omp-AY! Where ya at?!” After a moment a voice sounded from the back room.

“Its OmPI, damn it! How many times I terr you?!”
“Calm down, shorty.”
A rather short and slightly chubby Asian man walked out from the back room with an angry look on his face. “What you want, I’rr kick you in nuts!” Edgar chuckled at Ompi as he fumed. “Where’s Skee at?” asked Edgar. “Hrmf, he at rounge most rikery, now get out!” replied Ompi angrily shooing Edgar away by waving his hands at him. “Hey hey hey! That anyway to treat a paying customer?” taunted Edgar as he took out a small box of tokens and shook it.  Ompi’s expression changed instantly as his eyes lit up at the sight of tokens. “Ooooh, werr werr, what you need, good friend?” Ompi extended his hands trying to grab the tokens from Edgar but he pulled them back just out of his reach. “Ah ah ah, I need two backpacks first, then these are yours.” said Edgar shaking the box again. Ompi practically shook at the sound as he ran off into the back room returning only moments later with two backpacks in hand. Edgar extended the box of tokens to Ompi who quickly tossed the backpacks at Edgar and took the tokens. “Thanks, Ompi.” said Edgar passing one of the backpacks to John. “Oh yes, you wercome, come back soon and buy more!” said Ompi caressing the tokens. “C’mon, lets go before he starts kissin’ the damn things.” said Edgar walking out of the store motioning for John to follow him.

They both walked down the road next to each other. “Who was that?” asked John. “Oh, that was Ompi, Ompi Yoodie, Co-Owner of The two brothers’ Trading goods.” replied Edgar as he motion for John to go right. “And Skee?” asked John as he turned right and continued to walk with Edgar down the road. “Skee’s a pal of mine, he’s also Co-Owner of The two brothers’ Trading goods.” As they walked they went through an alleyway into another part of the city. The area had a darker presence about it, it was more dirty than the other area. Edgar and John walked towards a stair case that lead down into a building. Edgar opened the door and walked in followed by John. The atmosphere changed almost instantly, the pungent smell of Chinese takeout was stuck in the air as they walked towards the counter.

The counter was directly in the center of the room with barstools around it. A television set was suspended from the ceiling above the bar. Towards one side of the room there was a couch and a few chairs which accommodated a few people. The room was filled with people sitting and standing around the counter talking to each other or the few people behind the counter serving Breen’s water and Chinese takeout. Edgar walked up to the counter and pounded on it a couple times to get the bartender’s attention. “Hey, Josh!” he said loudly as to be heard over the crowd of people. A man no taller than John with short brown hair turned his head and walked over. 
“Heeeey, Edgar my man!”
Josh eyed John who was looking around the place, seemingly lost. “Who’s your friend?”  Josh asked abruptly.  Edgar looked behind him then back at Josh. “Oh, that’s John, new friend of mine.” As John heard his name he looked in their direction. “Well put’er there, Johnny boy, any friend of Edgar’s is a friend of mine!” said Josh cheerily extending his hand to John to shake.

John walked up and shook his hand firmly. “So is Skee around here?” asked Edgar bluntly while the two shook hands. “Yeah, he’s in the back, go on in.” replied Josh taking his hand back. C’mon John, lets go.” said Edgar tapping John on his shoulder with the back of his hand. He followed Edgar around the bar and into the back room. John noticed an open door as they passed, from the brief glimpse he got it looked like a bathroom. Edgar and  John stopped at a door passed the bathroom and Edgar pounded on it.  “Open up! Civil Protection!” shouted Edgar imitating a Civil Protection unit’s voice. Immediate scuffling and movement was heard on the other side of the door. “Can I help you, sir?” asked a man politely through the door. “Open up, Skee, it’s me, Edgar!” said Edgar laughing wildly.

The door opened after a bit of swearing was heard from behind it and Edgar walked in. John followed and the man the opened the door drew a nine-millimeter pistol and grabbed John by the collar and yanked him inside. John was slammed against the wall with a pistol pointed in his face. “Who’s this guy, Edgar? He following you?! Huh?!” said the man grabbing John’s collar tighter and moving the gun closer. John’s eyes were open widened as he looked quickly back and forth at Edgar and the man with the gun. He was as tall as John, he was clearly Asian you could tell looking through his glasses. His hair was black, though it was hard to tell it was so shortly cut. Edgar put his hand on the man’s shoulder and squeezed it firmly. “You take it easy, he’s with me, Skee.” said Edgar sternly. Skee let go of John and lowered the gun. “Yo sorry, man, my bad.” he said as he straightened John’s jumpsuit for him. “Wha’choo here for anyway, Edgar?” asked Skee as he walked towards a stack of crates. He reached behind them after tucking his pistol in his jumpsuit and pulled out a suitcase. He set it on top of a crate and opened it up and stood aside with his arms folded. “Just got in some new hardware, take a look.” Edgar and John both got closer and looked at the contents of the suitcase. It was filled with several things; a Nine-millimeter pistol with a few clips next to it, a bundle of zip-ties, a few handheld radios, two bottles of pills, an eight-inch combat knife, a door breach and a wide assortment of boxes of bullets.

John was obviously shocked at all the stuff that was before him, though Edgar wasn’t all too surprised as he looked over the items. Edgar grabbed a bottle of pills, a few zip-ties and the knife. He passed the knife to John who was confused but took it and examined it. Edgar then took out another box of tokens and tossed it to Skee who caught it with both hands and pocketed it. “John, give’em your backpack.” said Edgar taking off his backpack and putting the pills and zip-ties in it. “What for?” John asked as he took it off. “Skee, fill it up with some good food, I gave you plenty enough to fill these both.” Edgar said taking John’s backpack and passing Skee both backpacks. Skee took them and nodded. “You two get acquainted, gonna use the can real quick.” said Edgar abruptly walking out the door and closing it behind him quickly.

John looked around the room, it had a few racks up against the walls filled with various cans of water and boxes of what appeared to be junk. The room was actually pretty small, the walls were bare of any pictures or other pleasantries. A noticeable light flickered above his head. John looked over to Skee who opened a fridge next to the stacks; it was filled to the brim with Breen’s water. Skee reached his hand to the side of it all and pulled; it was a fake wall made up of cans of Breen’s water. John was surprised as he set it down and looked inside, there was a ton of food and other drinks in it. Skee opened up the backpacks and started loading in the food and stuff. He put in a melon in one, a two liter bottle of soda in each, a bottle of what looked like beer in each, several bottles of water in each then some miscellaneous fruits.

Skee put back on the fake covering and closed the fridge and picked up the backpacks and walked over to the boxes and set them back down. “Quite a lot of stuff there, thanks.” said John. “Ain’t done yet, Johnny boy.” said Skee lifting the top off of one the crates. He pulled out various cans and small boxes of food and tossed them in the backpacks. After awhile Skee sipped up the backpacks as Edgar walked back in. “Done in here yet, guys?” asked Edgar closing the door behind him. “Yeah, man, just finished up.” replied Skee. “Sweet, thank, Skee.” said Edgar as he took his backpack and put it on. John was debating on where to put his new knife as Skee held out his backpack to him. “Uh…” mumbled John confused as he looked around his person.

Edgar took the knife from John and he grabbed the backpack feeling someone defeated as he put it on his back. “Got a sheath for this thing?” asked Edgar waving the knife around. “Yeah, gimme a sec.” replied Skee as he went over to one of the racks and dug around in the various boxes. He soon pulled out a sheath and tossed it to John who caught it. Edgar spun the knife around in his hand, grabbing it by the blade and passing it to John. “Try to hide it somewhere they won’t find it.” said Edgar as John took the knife. He knelt down and lifted up his right pant leg and fastened the sheath to it and slid the knife in. He pulled down his pant leg and stood back up. “Alright, let’s go.” said John with a somewhat triumphant tone. Edgar chuckled as they said bye to Skee and left back to the apartment.

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 04:18:49 PM »
will read and post soon... juuuuust gimme a little while.

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 08:10:26 PM »
read it, and it's going in some interesting directions as a kind of resistance black market sort of thing, and that's all good...

but you really need to re-read this and sort out the little mistakes. there are a lot of little mistakes, like spelling and saying "and" about three times in a sentence. Also, try to avoid using the same word that isnt conjunctive in two adjacent sentences.  Oh yeah and you don't need to see someone's eyes to know that they're east asian. Oh and new person speaking means new line.
also, figure out what the words you use make something sound like.
tucking his pistol in his jumpsuit
how? does it have inside pockets? or is he just balancing it somehow?
“Open up, Skee, it’s me, Edgar!” said Edgar laughing wildly.
personally i didnt  think the joke  was THAT funny that he would be laughing with wild abandon, unable to stop himself to be able to speak properly, unless the laughter comes after the words which would mean that you should word it so it wouldn't sound like he was laughing uncontrollably while speaking.

I know I'm being really harsh, but honestly, the structure of it, the mistakes, the indigestible sentences and the lack of description made it more of a chore to read than something like this should have been. Read it aloud to yourself and fix accordingly. That will sort a lot of problems out. It would be even better if you print out a hard copy and read it aloud from that because something about a screen makes you skim over more than you would on a hard copy

Offline Srgntcuddles

• Seargant of cuddles.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Game time!
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 11:18:16 PM »
Yeah....I tend to use "And" more than needed, I catch the worst of it usually, but I slip a lot. I'm still curious what you mean by a new line when a new character speaks or what ever. Would it be like this?

Jerry walks into a room with Todd, they both sit down on the couch. Todd looks to Jerry.
"Hey, Jerry, It turns out I'm gay."
"Holy crap, why does everyone come out to me?!"
"Look, I'm sorry, your just...My closest friend..."
Daril sudddenly walks into the room.
"Hey guys, what's going on?"
"Uh..."
"Well...It turns out I'm gay."
"Wow, hows that working for you?"
"God, why me?!"

Like that? An example might be nice......

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 11:29:04 PM »
that's exactly what i meant by new character speaks new line. Though in an unconnected thing, make sure people know who's talking.

Offline Srgntcuddles

• Seargant of cuddles.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Game time!
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 11:32:25 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. ;) Next chapter will be awhile...Busy with other things.