The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: To smoke or not to smoke, that is the real question.  (Read 765 times)

Offline Kohax

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Me, myself and I.
    • Awards
  • Species: Mutated praying mantis
  • Coloring: Red
  • Height: 7"ft
  • Weight: 75Kg
  • Build: Slender
To smoke or not to smoke, that is the real question.
« on: April 16, 2010, 02:52:59 AM »
To all y'all smokers out there.. and ex-smokers, hell just everyone, lols, 1st all, I want to ask.. what is your opinion on smoking bans (Just a general question of curiosity), but at any-rate, I am considering giving up smoking.. even though though when your stressed to the max it somewhat makes things better.. e.g: when you spend three hours on a drawing, and you just can't get it right, so you rip it up! and throw it away! so you have to sit down and just have smoke to calm yourself. X3, but any-rate, The benefits of smoking..aka, more calm, easy conversation, a smokers breakfast (aka, a coffee and a cig, which is all you need). To the negative side, health concerns and the smokers cough, Now i'm at crossroad if you would, and I myself don't really know what I want to do, because I can see the equal good out of either or option, so for those who have quit, got any advice? for those who haven't, your opinion? and for those who have never smoked.. well just put in your opinion anyway X3.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:55:31 AM by Kohax »
There are 10 types of people in the world.. Those you understand Binary, and those who don't.

Offline Gabag

• Replica Soldier Mk. VII
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Human (Replica Clone)
Re: To smoke or not to smoke, that is the real question.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 03:06:38 AM »
Also for the negatives don't forget the bad breath, tooth discoloration, the fact not everyone enjoys the smell, the loss of breath in sports

I say quit, because sure you're calmer and conversations are easier, but then when you get lung cancer, you won't be calm for long, so it's a better idea to just find a different habit. Recovering from smoking will be hard, but the payoff will be worth it.
Besides do you really need to light a paper tube filled with tobacco to start a conversation?

To deal with stress, I play videogames and music
problems solved.

I know I'm no Dr. Phil but I've stated my opinion

Offline Rex

• Boisterous Bear
  • ^^ bad drawing and quality, bleh, my fursona!
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Fox
  • Coloring: White, black on end of ears and end of tail
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 160
  • Build: avg, toned
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 04:29:55 AM »
Smoking huh? can't say I've ever been a fan of that...  Lets see, definately a terrible habit, bad for you and those around you, Non-smokers have a good reason to ban it from public places, It can damage them too, Secondhand smoke can be like smoking a cig yourself... Its just something you never should have started k? Try your best to quit If you are reading this and currently smoke. Smoking is definately not something that is looked on as positive in my family, so I'll admit that your looking at an anti-smoking bias here, If you want the other side of the story, I'm sure It'll be here for you soon enough. Otherwise please do stop smoking, its suicide in a stick. :/

Offline Ho'ne Diheart

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • :3
    • Awards
  • Species: Ghost Bolf (bear/wolf)
  • Coloring: black and redish brown
  • Height: 5'8
  • Weight: 190
  • Build: Stocky
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 04:54:30 AM »
Smoking can be a good thing for some people and a better choice. For one it is legal, and it is cheaper. Some people don't have the time to play video games, or listen to music to relieve themselves from stress

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 02:16:11 PM »
I just think smoking is stupid, i would never try to smoke and feel good about it, actually i rarely even stand near someone who is smoking...

Oh, and what i hate about smokers.... when they smoke just next to the "no smoking" sign at the buss stop... really pisses me off :/
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Ho'ne Diheart

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • :3
    • Awards
  • Species: Ghost Bolf (bear/wolf)
  • Coloring: black and redish brown
  • Height: 5'8
  • Weight: 190
  • Build: Stocky
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 06:25:24 PM »
Do you have a job that involves working with people constantly? People that can be and will be rude and uncaring?

Post Merge: April 16, 2010, 06:29:07 PM
I also forgot to mention that some people have to pay bills, have kids, and have to deal with the harsh reality of life. Some times it takes one cancer stick to help deal with that
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 06:29:07 PM by Ho'nehevetane »

Offline kyote

• Vibrating Furby
  • avatar courtesy of Rock,Paper, Cynic
    • Awards
  • Species: coyote
  • Coloring: brown, black, grey, typical colors except on my head
  • Height: 6' 3"
  • Weight: 187lbs
  • Build: average, not much body fat but not very muscular
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 08:41:34 PM »
I don't think there is any universal reason to smoke or not smoke, sure cancer but there's always that stray bus that loses it's ability to brake and that is just as fatal. I smoke, I won't say it makes me a better or worse person, it's a reliever of stress and all around helps, but I do think that the bans, like when they banned smoking indoors, are beneficial because not everyone smokes so that annoyance was dealt with. I think that the smoker in question should be the one to balance the risks for his or her own health, but if you do decide to start smoking/keep smoking take others into consideration, use an ashtray and don't throw the filters wherever they may fall.
bassist- the under-appreciated foundation of the band, often finds comfort in the drummer.

Offline Cyan

• Avid Aardvark
  • What if I say I'm not like the others?
    • Awards
  • Species: Golden Jackal-Arctic Fox Hybrid
  • Coloring: Close to a fennic's colouring with a black tip on the tail. light violet eyes.
  • Height: 5'
  • Weight: 85lbs
  • Build: (Very) Petite
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 05:26:01 PM »
I have never smoked tobacco, only marijuana. I have a series of medical problems, but not caused by it. Probably worsened, but not caused. I do not think smoking should be legal. It can be linked to lung damage, as well as cancer and many others. I do not think anybody should have to deal with its after effects, and anybody doing it should stop. It isn't worth the small amount of stress it seems to cure.
Heavily Music Oriented.

...Oh gods I lost my papers again...

I have an incredibly good attention span, and am really good at foc-oo! Look! A butterfly!

Offline Silence the Splicer

• Boisterous Bear
  • rawr
    • Awards
  • Species: splicer
  • Height: 6'0"
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: thin
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 07:03:36 AM »
smoking's bad, too many people i know do it and far too many of them have lung cancer or a variety of other problems caused by it. regardless, this made me think of the below image.

[attachment deleted by admin]
By Jove!

Offline Sareen

• Satan's pet
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Poster
  • I'm Not Insane, Just Mentally Hilarious.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Your Nightmare >:3
    • Awards
  • Species: Cabbit
  • Coloring: Black, White and Neon Green
  • Height: 5'10''
  • Weight: 121.8 lb
  • Build: Hourglass
  • Currently: Formally Known as Danta
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 08:39:01 PM »
I myself am a smoker and have tried many times to try give up, one I found the best was when i need a fag i chew on chewin gum and try keep my hands busy with summin like playin video games, drawing, reading and stuff like that, just anything to try keep your mind off of it, But unfortunately I cant give up since i've been smoking for ages i've developed smokers cough, and havin a fag is the only way to stop it when it gets to bad >.< but yeah like i said try chewin gum and taking your mind off of it, it helped me give up for half a year.
  • Signature art by: Me (Danta)
~ Im The Finger Down Your Spine When The Lights Go Out, Im The Bad Taste You Cant Get Rid Of , Im The Nightmare You'll Never Wake Up from - Me (Danta Bloodrayn) ~
Add Me On Skype: TangoPhynix

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 01:58:43 AM »
I used to be a smoker. I'm only 17 but I had to quit recently because I ended up with lung problems and a stomach ulsar from it so I need surgery. Smoking for me was awesome. I used it as a subsitute for eating, a way of calming down and chilling out. I loved it when I could smoke and drink coffee at the same time. Now I can't do either one because of a hole in my stomach. For your health I say you should quit. You don't want to be were I am. I'm living off of water, bread, and potato skins. I don't go a single moment without feeling like I've been kicked in the stomach. I forget what painless feels like. I can't eat or do anything without stomach acid spilling out onto my organs so I'm popping pills like a mad man. You may even say I switched from weed and cigarettes to oxycotin and codeine but I will never lose the craving for a smoke.

Quitting's easy. I've done it a hundred times before.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 02:05:37 AM by Spike V. »

Offline Sareen

• Satan's pet
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Poster
  • I'm Not Insane, Just Mentally Hilarious.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Your Nightmare >:3
    • Awards
  • Species: Cabbit
  • Coloring: Black, White and Neon Green
  • Height: 5'10''
  • Weight: 121.8 lb
  • Build: Hourglass
  • Currently: Formally Known as Danta
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 09:01:12 AM »
Of your only smoking tobacco it cant cause what Spike said, I know someone (not personally) and she smoked all her life and still lived to be 109. Smoking causing differently problems for everyone, smokin tobacco actually hasnt been proven to cause cancer or holes in stomach, that would probably be things like weed since thats illegal and can kill, smokin on the other hand like someone further up *can be asked to scroll up* said that all smoking HAS been proven to do is the teeth discolouration, finger discolouration, Sometimes smokers cough *personally has a smoke when a cough get to bad since it helps calm it down* also Yes i do read smoker info and have way to many lectures from friends to no faults
  • Signature art by: Me (Danta)
~ Im The Finger Down Your Spine When The Lights Go Out, Im The Bad Taste You Cant Get Rid Of , Im The Nightmare You'll Never Wake Up from - Me (Danta Bloodrayn) ~
Add Me On Skype: TangoPhynix

Offline Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf-Tiger
  • Coloring: Black and Silver
  • Height: 6'11
  • Weight: 182 lbs.
  • Build: Fit and muscular.
  • Currently: Sore back. Sore feet. Sore everything.
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 03:11:03 PM »
I've lost one of my very best friends to smoking (Well, really drugs in general, and his OD was Crack). I really don't condone it and strongly suggest kicking it. It's not worth shortening your life for, really. Plus, as the others have said, bad breath. Sorry, but I hate the smell of a smoker, much less having to smell their breath. Plus, it'll eventually come back an bite you in the butt. Best to quit earlier than later. Your withdrawal gets worse and worse over time. My friend's addiction to smoking had gotten to the point where if he didn't smoke enough in a day, he shook to violently to even start his car. I've also seen the effects of it on my Grandfather (who's smoked since he was 12) and my Grandmother (who doesn't smoke). It's not a fate I wish on anyone, not even the people I hate most. So I strongly discourage you continuing, obviously. Also, side note, you'd be amazed at how much extra money you'll have just by kicking your smoking habit.

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »
Well, my dad and my dad's girlfriend and pretty much everyone I'm around smokes normal cigarettes.

My mom was addicted to more hard things and that is why she went to jail.

I have tried many different things, but only tried and never got hooked on any of them....and I don't plan on getting hooked either.

I don't really believe in smoking bans because then the smokers are just going to go somewhere else to smoke if they're truly addicted, and they're going to be just as headstrong as before the ban....and it causes more problems than it's trying to solve.

And. of course. If you can stop smoking, if you believe you can, then STOP. Just because I don't believe in bans doesn't mean that I like it when people smoke. I hate it, actually, but having to put up with it for so long eventually I just have to go "whatever..." about it.
x

Offline Packedsnack

• Pigment Weaver
  • Avid Aardvark
  • I shape the way the cookie crumbles.
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Light grey with white underbelly
  • Weight: 55kg
  • Build: Lean
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 09:20:59 PM »
I say quit.

Smoking bans, I dunno. I suppose they're realistic when it's confined to outside only, but full bans just don't seem reasonable.
I'm guessing the mystery girl is some kind of root vegetable.