The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: strange feelings when becoming a furry  (Read 1857 times)

Offline milenko

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: wox (more fox than wolf)
  • Coloring: red,white,black,orange
  • Height: 6.3 ft
  • Weight: 290
  • Build: normal
strange feelings when becoming a furry
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:24:52 PM »
ok...when i became a fur i had these strange feelings for a few months, it felt like something deep down inside me trying to change or changing or wanting to change....i have been asking a lot of furs if they had those sort of feelings when they got into the furry fandom and most of them said they had those feelings, its strange....i still have those feelings when i do something furry like put on my collar or my tail....it makes me wonder if the furry fandom is more than a fan club for furries

Offline pheonixrebirth

• Avid Aardvark
  • Catalyst for Catalysm
    • Awards
  • Species: Avaian (phoenix)
  • Coloring: flame pattern around the body
  • Height: 6 ft 7 in
  • Weight: 110 lbs
  • Build: tall, slender, built for speed, flies a lot.
Re: strange feelings when becoming a furry
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 06:58:34 PM »
TO me, it's a way of life. people see us as different, and it CAN become a dangerous place if you're not careful. it feels more natural than i felt before being a furry. ifeel more at ease here. more appreciated. and that's my take on it all.
Live The Phoenix!
Ninja tuna will find you if you don't.... and followed by the Kamikaze Jellyfish.
Proud to be furry!
I'm a catalyst for cataclysm!
Let the flames of tomorrow burn brightly.
Fel Couriers, delivering evil since the dawn of night.

Offline milenko

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 07:00:49 PM »
i want to know why we feel that way when we become furs...its has been bugging me for awhile

Offline pheonixrebirth

• Avid Aardvark
  • Catalyst for Catalysm
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 07:04:50 PM »
everyone and everything fears change. that's a fact. when we convert our mentality, we go through a change, and that's probably what makes us feel odd. it's like going from a hot tub to a warm pool. when you get in the pool, normally it would feel warm as well, but you're a different temp than normal. so it's basically getting to a new environment.
Live The Phoenix!
Ninja tuna will find you if you don't.... and followed by the Kamikaze Jellyfish.
Proud to be furry!

Offline Alice The Necrofox

• The Necromantic Mechanist
  • Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Back in black! Or rather a putrid shade of green
    • Awards
  • Species: Undead Fox/Demon Hybrid
  • Coloring: Green fur
  • Height: 5' 8"
  • Build: Tall, well built, young ish
  • Currently: Re-integrating with TFF. SO EXCITE
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 07:07:36 PM »
:D
it does feel a little different. I feel more confident now i am a furry, and i feel like i want to be different. Partially it is probably me being a teen, but hey :D.
still, it is true, that I felt different after I became officially a furry. It gave me something to really enjoy and to strive for. I guess i was a furry before this too, but i just didn't know what it was.

I am happy i am furry tho :P
  • Avatar by: Kazna (Waiting for him to give me his FA again)
  • Signature art by: None

Offline milenko

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 07:09:20 PM »
i get what you are saying but i want to know what changes our mental state of mind, i want to under stand what changes our standard of normal

Offline pheonixrebirth

• Avid Aardvark
  • Catalyst for Catalysm
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 07:21:39 PM »
it's getting used to stuff. if you live in squalor for a long time, it becomes your standard. if you're in a hot area, it becomes standard to know: "it's hot". if you live in a cold area, it's "it's cold" if you're in a constant place where there's rain, rain is expected to be common. it's a mental adjustment over time.
Live The Phoenix!
Proud to be furry!

Offline Righteousbro

• Eager Elephant
  • Ekuamahtava
  • Species: Tiger/kitteh
  • Coloring: White and black
  • Height: 6 ft
  • Weight: 150 lbs
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 08:02:16 PM »
 -.-I'm unsure, maybe furs are a gift from whatever greater being is true if there even is one (don't like putting much about faith here, but I do believe something). Or more darwinistic, maybe we're more in touch with our animal side. Our instincts are biting half the time and we have much simpler and better emotions. We love our friends and hate our enemies, were as the average person doesn't understand emotions very well. So you've probably been just trying to think your insane (well, I like to think I am still, but thats me) as an explenation and suppressing yourself so letting yourself go is something you've gotta get used to. I didn't feel to much different, but I already did a lot of furry things and didn't care much. I thought that I was probably one of the only ones that did crap like that and *tada* I found a community of people like me. Of course a lot of people try to keep themselves feeling normal and now that you have a better explanation of it its just not the same, but trust me, its better. So since your asking for psychiatry here, its the part of the brain that keeps you timid, now that your letting yourself go that part of the mind "tingles" (just means it feels weird). No you know that that feeling is more normal and you're adjusting to letting your furrified self out. This happens with a lot of things, whenever you try to change yourself in any way you usually feel this way. Like trying to make yourself do riskier things, your nature from before says no but you're saying yeah. So after a while this will be your nature.

Offline milenko

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 08:59:50 PM »
yah i like that tingly feeling, but yah i know what you are saying, i do express my furryness side, witch i see just about everything furry normal now i think being a furry gives you a spiritual  link to animals because my mom and my other 2 sisters pets stay around me more and listen to me now (they never did that until i became a furry...strange)

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 09:04:30 PM »
Yes, I felt different when I joined the fandom. I felt great and I still do. I only wish I could be MORE furry than I am now. I want to get a fursuit and do crazy stuff in public (but I was always like that). I feel like I have an identity that I can't express in the real world. I feel like I belong somewhere and it's making me so relieved that there are so many others like me.

For me, the fandom is essentially giving me a reason to live. You can call it whatever you want but without the fandom, I honestly see nothing else to look forward to when I wake up in the morning or come home. My life consists of my girlfriend and the fandom. Nothing more. I don't take joy in doing anything else. But that's life. It's meant to suck and you're supposed to deal with it without trying to go crazy or kill yourself. I love creating the art, I love the fursuits, and I love the idea of everything just being a huge game. Yeah, people might think I'm kind of weird when I talk about this kind of thing but like phoenix said, it's a way of life...and a fantastic one too.

Offline Packedsnack

• Pigment Weaver
  • Avid Aardvark
  • I shape the way the cookie crumbles.
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Light grey with white underbelly
  • Weight: 55kg
  • Build: Lean
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 09:06:11 PM »
The admittance alone usually unlocks a strange feeling... Like a mixture of peace and guilt. To me, the fandom is more than a fandom, more a desire to be closer to my mother planet.
I'm guessing the mystery girl is some kind of root vegetable.

Offline milenko

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 09:20:10 PM »
yah same here i want to be more furryer and i want to be closer to nature

Offline Righteousbro

• Eager Elephant
  • Ekuamahtava
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 09:25:53 PM »
yah i like that tingly feeling, but yah i know what you are saying, i do express my furryness side, witch i see just about everything furry normal now i think being a furry gives you a spiritual  link to animals because my mom and my other 2 sisters pets stay around me more and listen to me now (they never did that until i became a furry...strange)

Yeah, I understand. My pets here stay around me and show more affection and all, sometimes I feel like they understand me more than a normal person to. They always did but my personality didn't change much becoming furry. The bond feels stronger now. Also I handle animals better to, sometimes people will say something like "don't go near that dog, he's vicious", yet I go up and pet him and he seems to me perfectly tame.
*Funny Semi-Related True Story* Okay, I was in the kitchen and my pet cat was sitting there, I just said "Hey what's up?" and then my cat looked up towards the ceiling and looked back at me. Maybe cats don't understand colloquial phrases the same.

P.S. Wow, people saying "I want to be closer to nature" and stuff sounds so zen....

Offline milenko

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 09:45:01 PM »
ah it may sound zen but when i am not in my house or at school i am in the woods enjoying nature, but i love every thing about the furry fandom

Offline Righteousbro

• Eager Elephant
  • Ekuamahtava
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 10:11:57 PM »
That sounds righteous. I live in a horrible urbanized area, no nature to enjoy except for rabid dogs in the alleys....