The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: what furry means to you  (Read 2034 times)

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Herbivorous Lion
what furry means to you
« on: August 16, 2010, 03:55:27 PM »
what does being a furry mean to you? this place must have had one of these at one point, but i don't see it;

for me, i feel that it's a perfect vent for my own fantasies and imagination. when i'm daydreaming or 'pre-sleep dreaming' i'll be a lion, conversing with other anthro animals. plus as a social thing, it really feels nice to be able to sit down with people and talk about how much i'm fascinated by animals with people without being thought of as a bit strange (though that's not a bad thing either), plus not only that, but people who're fascinated by them in the same or at least somewhat similar ways to me.
The further on I go, all the less i know.
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline NeWFur

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Height: 6' 3
  • Weight: 200 something :P (I'm tall lol)
  • Build: Normal
Re: what furry means to you
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 04:48:23 PM »
Being a furry to me lets me just have fun.  It embraces your imagination.  There has been countless amounts of times where regular routines get boring and or stressful, but drawing pics and rarely wearing a tail is just something to take you out of the ordinary life.  I do like animals of course, but I'm not as you say completely drawn to them.  I find them interesting and definately cool  ^_^

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 04:55:36 PM »
Expansion. Reality is not boring... but imagination is unrestrained. This is an expansion of reality into the imagination. I like that.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Takarah Luna

• Dorky Therian Chick
  • Chatty Cheetah
  • Just me... Plain and simple...
    • Awards
  • Species: plain 'ol wolf
  • Coloring: black and silver with a rainbow striped tail
  • Height: Five feet, ten inches
  • Weight: 130lbs
  • Build: Medium to skinny-ish and tall
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 05:04:44 PM »
It's both a scocial thing and kind of a hobby for me... And I LOVE the art style... (just plain anthro though...)
Proud wolf therian and furry!!!
My DA= http://pistolvaunwulf.deviantart.com/

"IMMA FIRIN MY LAZAR!!! BLAAAAAARRGH!!!"
-the lazer collection (best youtube video(s) ever!)

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 07:31:52 PM »
I consider furries in general to be rather fun and not so boring as many people I have met, it's a fun hobby, great way to meet new people, learn about some other countries in a 1st person point of view, many similar interests, and it's a great way to pass the time :P. A fursona to me is a way to express my imagination as well.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Seko

• Boisterous Bear
  • (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Panda
  • Coloring: Blue eyes, default red panda colours
  • Height: 5'11
  • Weight: 70kg
  • Build: Average with massive hands
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:00:42 PM »
to me, being furry is a way to express myself in a tolerant environment  ^_^

plus it has let me meet loads of awesome people  ^_^

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 08:15:01 PM »
to me, its a fun thing, I love be a part of a very nice and friendly community (mostly refuring to the forum :3), the art and roleplayings with your fursonas is really pawsome, but also, it just feels right, I mean, ever since I "became" a furry, i've by some reason felt that i can be myself.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 08:18:02 PM by Timmy the Foxy »
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 06:44:24 AM »
its my escape. my door into a world that doesnt hate. reminds me of my childhood when cartoons were good.

FoXTAlL

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:51:20 PM »
To me being a furry is the best way to sit back, relax, and let my uncontrolable imagination do it's thing. I like antro art (though I'm not so good myself) an sometimes think about if I were anthro, which is were the forum comes in, on here that's who I am. Also being able to be in such a large community is great. Being a Furry can only be decscribed as fun.

Rad

Offline Karma Moonshadow

• Chatty Cheetah
  • The blood of the wicked is my life support.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Pure white
  • Height: 5' 9"
  • Weight: Light
  • Build: Lithe and wiry
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 03:36:52 AM »
To me, being a furry is embracing who I really am in a way that I just can't do any other way. It's like the only way of reaching a spot that you just can't reach to scratch. I've been a furry all my life and just didn't know what to call it, but when I found out that there were others like me, I felt that my wandering furry heart had finally found the home it had been looking for all along.
...So can you tell me what exactly does freedom mean, if I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be?

- Disturbed, "Divide"

Offline Takarah Luna

• Dorky Therian Chick
  • Chatty Cheetah
  • Just me... Plain and simple...
    • Awards
  • Species: plain 'ol wolf
  • Coloring: black and silver with a rainbow striped tail
  • Height: Five feet, ten inches
  • Weight: 130lbs
  • Build: Medium to skinny-ish and tall
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 04:15:06 AM »
 :'(   That's really sweet and completely true Dander!!!  I actually feel the same way come to think about it...
Proud wolf therian and furry!!!
My DA= http://pistolvaunwulf.deviantart.com/

"IMMA FIRIN MY LAZAR!!! BLAAAAAARRGH!!!"
-the lazer collection (best youtube video(s) ever!)

Offline Kit Angel

• Optimistic Owl
  • I will be the Guardian Angel to the people i love
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox Demon Aka Kitsune
  • Coloring: Depends upon mood ^w^
  • Height: 5' 8"
  • Weight: 165
  • Build: Lean, with a little muscle
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 03:11:23 PM »
To me being a furry means alot, because I wouldn't have made so many new friends, I would of never came out of my shy shell at all, Most of the people i know as well as adopted within the fandom mostly on this forum site lol, anyways To me being a furry helps me more to show who i really am and it makes me feel proud of who i am and not what i am. I don't care what other people think ^w^ But everyone that i've met and became friends with showed me that there are still nice people in this world and I will and can say that everyone within the fandom is my inspiration for my art, my music remixes, and some of the fanfics i am currently working on X3 ^w^ that is why i love the fandom and all of you in it so much because you show that you care for someone like me ^w^ Oh and I'm back to the forums XD
Sometimes even love can hurt, but don't let things get you down, just take them one step at a time in the road that is paved before you because everyone has their speed bumps in life

Offline RedWolf "lucifer" Guevara

• Eager Elephant
  • id laugh if u just... spontaiusly combusted
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf / hyena hybrid
  • Coloring: Red / grey
  • Build: skinney but adgaile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 03:37:28 PM »
i agree and feel the same way as dander
"i do not care if i fall so long as someone picks up my gun and keeps shooting" -Ernesto "che" Guevara

Offline immortal_wolf

• Vibrating Furby
  • Sacrificing in the name of Jashin-sama
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf
  • Coloring: black and white
  • Height: 5'5" ft
  • Weight: 125 lbs
  • Build: indestructible
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 03:21:43 AM »
To me it has been my way of life since I was the age of 4. It is a way to show my true self to my friends and others. Being a furry brings me comfort and peace of mind. :P ^_^
Immortality, the only pain you feel is emotional. It hurts for eternity.
These feels are never good accumulated.

Offline lindsbunny

• Avid Aardvark
  • Happy bunnies come from California ^^
    • Awards
  • Species: Pure Bred Californian White Rabbit
  • Coloring: White, smooth fur with green eyes and a black nose.
  • Build: Curvy
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 04:21:36 AM »
To me, being a furry is associated with a number of social connections. The most obvious one of course is the fact that I'm part of this extended community of like-minded groups and individuals. Also, I'm connected to my animal counterparts. There are rabbits all over the place in my area in rural Northern California, which is probably why rabbits are a popular fursona for local furries. I see rabbits almost every time I'm out. Since I was little, I've associated them with freedom and nature. With that fond familiarity, it's no wonder I developed overtime as a rabbit furry. In being a furry, not only am I connected to other furries, but it makes me feel more connected to animals and nature. In a way, I feel like a more complete human individual due to my identity with an animal.

Of course, on a less serious note, the community, art, and lifestyle are just so much fun, so I'd have an interest even if it didn't come so naturally.