The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: A Question to all Furries  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Alexei

• Crafty Canadian
  • Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • To the moon
  • Species: Cheetah Fox!
  • Height: 180 cm
  • Weight: 66 kg
  • Build: Relatively Lean
  • Currently: Collecting the pieces of my life and putting them back together.
Re: A Question to all Furries
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 08:38:48 PM »
It's really hard to explain how I created Alexei, I started out with much of his traits reflecting myself but I then devolped some other personality traits that I think make an interesting character, not particularly anything I'd like to see in myself but more of a refrence to traits that I admire in real life.
  • Signature art by: The Black Keys

I must admit
I can't explain
Any of these thoughts racing
Through my brain

Offline GigitheGoat

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • This is actually a Christmas doodle but oh, well.
    • Awards
  • Species: Goat
  • Coloring: Pink (main fur), light brown (hair), blue (markings and accessories), pink and blue argyle pattern (ears, stripes)
  • Height: 169 cm (anthro), not much larger than a typical farm goat (quad)
  • Weight: 56.7 kg (anthro),
  • Build: Quad (majority of time), curvy and decently slim (anthro)
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 02:22:29 PM »
Personally, I'm a big fan of spaggles, sparkle animals, whatever you want to call them. I like them because they can have as much meaning put on their design as the atrist chooses, and it doesn't have to make sense. Sure, you get designs that are repetitive and some that are just so blindingly colorful or cluttered that the character loses that sense of originality, but they are something different.

Basically we spaggle, which is what I call them even if it isn't always a positive term, artists make animals we like or animals we think suit us our canvases and add simple little things that resemble ourselves on to them. Sometimes it's just to look cool, sometimes it does have legit meaning.

There's no way Gigi could exist even more so than other anthros, and if she did, I'd be concerned. She has funky colors and designs, always happily wears a fishnet-ribbon leg sock and some kind of neckwear instead of trying to eat it off, and she lacks one thing goats are supposed to have unless they recieve the rare "polled" gene--horns. These strange quirks make her mine specifically because each item/color/quirk has a reason behind it. Yet, even by adding all these traits, she still looks nothing like me.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but hey, maybe this will provide some insight to how a spaggle artist thinks--at least how THIS spaggle thinks.

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 11:39:32 PM »
Curious, never heard of a spaggle before...

Offline wastelander16

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox
  • Coloring: RedOrange, White, and Black
  • Height: 6ft 10in
  • Build: Slim but stronger than he looks
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 12:51:31 AM »
when I make a new character or change an old one I use tribal designs in the furr depending on there personality (furrsonality)

Offline Gabag

• Replica Soldier Mk. VII
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Human (Replica Clone)
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 01:16:24 AM »
Have any of you been split between personality and preference? I'll explain.

Upon creating your fursona(s), you add things and subtract, decide on traits and personalities maybe. Like how some mammals have unnatural long and furry tails or even more than just one tail, ears that would not fit the species life in nature and so on. When doing this, have you ever been split between thinking it's something that you like, that looks cool and you want, and thinking it's a type of thing that would fit your personality or your fursona's?
Have you ever thought that your fursona should have (or be without) something not because it'd be cool but because it's an important trait? In an obvious example; let's pretend someone had an accident in real life that left a big scar on their body and it's ugly, but gave their life a new and better meaning. They also added that scar to their fursona just because of that. Or if someone connects a certain colour to their life or an important memory, and adds that?

Have you ever wanted something but decided not to because you truly feel that it wouldn't fit you, that it would even be a lie (even if it would be darn cool or cute or hot)?

I'm not experiencing a dilemma here for myself, I'm just wondering what you guys think about this.

Moreover...
I've seen some fursonas here that are quite inventive and interesting. Like a stitched up lizard with button eyes as an example. What makes those of you that have these, make these?

You should have not asked this question
i could go on for days answering this question
but for now here's the short version.
GABAG is actually the name of a secret military corporation project specializing in creating military grade clones. In one such batch Gabag was born, the only 'female' in the bunch. realizing she was different she escaped from the labs.
Since then she has trained with The Three Seers in the art of electricity, combined with her genetically inherited combat skills she was a lethal opponent. She took up merc work, eventually discovering the emotions that her creators cruelly removed from the DNA strand that created her.

Throughout her travels as a merc she has met many people, helping her to rediscover what it is to be a human being after being created for an evil purpose, she felt fears, regrets, and most of all, anger for leaving her brothers in the cloning tanks. She returned to the facility where her brothers were housed and freed them, currently she is helping them rediscover who they are, but so far only anger translates well, and now she has an army of enraged battle armored brethren.

Basically This gives me creative liberty to create as many personalities I want all based on different aspects of myself.

But this Gabag i use, the female Gabag, is a reflection of how somewhere along the line in middle school, I lost myself and I had to go on a difficult journey to rediscover who I was an embrace it.
She wears battle armor because its awesome, she uses electricity because of her electric personality and energy, she wields a Kukri for hand to hand combat which shows I can embrace pretty much any idea, no matter how strange or foreign.
she's a girl because I was 'that guy' who was the outcast and the odd man out.
she black haired, has green eyes, and a hesitant distrust of the unknown, like I am in real life.

basically i throw in personality
and cover it up in preference to make it awesome to me.
Naysayers are ignored.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:20:57 AM by Gabag »

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf dog
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 5.11 ft
  • Weight: 165 pounds
  • Build: medium
  • Currently: beeing playfull
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 05:55:09 AM »
well , i do change stuff on my fursonia and i add a lot about my self to him there are some stuff that he has that i dont but want ( a tattoo that is of arcane wind sympole  currently on the tabrain  sketch needs to be uploaded still  ) i dont really get a cross betwen then me and my fursonai because we both have the same personalty but some times i have almost used icy where it says name or thought about it  all though i do up date and change or add stuff to him as thing change with me ( although i would love it if i could really be him and live in a world like this but as furies ) . i havnt came up with a story yet but i thinking of one where the thread for it.  also i fell a strong conection with my fursonai becuse iam also a thearin so thats why my fursonai is aslo a wolf
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:51:18 PM by icy wolf »
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 07:56:46 AM »
Moreover...
I've seen some fursonas here that are quite inventive and interesting. Like a stitched up lizard with button eyes as an example. What makes those of you that have these, make these?

Daw, I just now saw this and felt bad for not replying! xD
I feel flattered you complimented my character design, I'll say that first off.

When it came to Lore, my doll, I chosen different things with him because they fit me. Good example, the color scheme. I have always loved Halloween, and those particular colors together. It's been a big to do in my family, so, that's why I chose them. Why a chameleon? Well, I identify with a chameleon. I've always identified with reptiles, but I mean, chameleons have a special spot with me. They hide, they're cute, not terribly social creatures. In fact, they prefer to be alone. I chose gender neutral because I am constantly confused for both genders, and I chose a doll because there's also people on the fence on EXACTLY HOW FURRY I AM. Lol. But in all, I chose his features to be more metaphorical than.. Actual things, obviously.

Rigor, the one on my DP now is my main fursona and has been for a while. Again, the Halloweeny stuff because I like Halloween very much, and gender neutral with a hint of female features so people will know. Kind of like me. She has skeletal patterns because I like Halloween, and because I love skeletons and dead things. She has a scar on her neck that I do not, but it created a turning point in her life. I have a scar on my face that had the same effect on me. She has a thinner build than myself, but it's not like I'm too big. That was mainly done to fit the lizard-esque stuff. I made her more animalistic than most because she's somewhat primal like my temper, but aside from the metaphorical stuff, we do have some similar things such as some of the things she wears. I also have been known to dye my hair purple, and I have a mohawk, though I wear mine differently.

BUT YEAH. In a nutshell, I chose things that fit me personality wise as well as some small physical aspects.

Offline Srgntcuddles

• Seargant of cuddles.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
  • Game time!
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: White
  • Height: 6'5"
  • Weight: 175
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Sad and needs hugs.
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 08:03:24 AM »
Am I split between things sometimes? Yeah, but I do a combination of personality traits and things that I think are cool. Or unique, but I think uniqueness is cool and vie to be unique with things. For example; Reno, one of my rabbits and more used fursona...He's shy. Similar personality trait. He's Irish, need I say more? (I'm not Irish) He has an orange spot on his left eye, a unique trait.

Have I thought my character could be with or without something? No, don't think so.

Decide against something for not fitting? Probably having evil characters...I tried one, didn't work out well. I think that's as close as that gets to the question.

Why'd I make them that way? Iunno. Preference maybe. Probably that...

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 03:10:21 PM »
I kinda feel that it's a bit cheating to create a fursona whose characteristics are mostly based on aesthetics and what the creator thinks would be cool. Because I think they should reflect on the personality more than anything, that's where I think the is between regular roleplay and a fursona.

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 06:18:51 PM »
Well, I made mine to reflect personality. O:

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 06:57:54 PM »
Yes you did! It seems that just about all here are too.

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 03:10:06 AM »
Well, like I said, I may not look 100% like my sona, but I've been told it's not surprising how I look and that I do.. Uh, look like her? Not exact, but yeah. I tried the whole making a sona to look like myself and in all honestly it limits you artistically. Me being an artist, I prefer to be able to expand, and it's not really cheating because my characters are not me or without traits that I have or with traits (unless you count being an animal as one of said traits). It's not a surprise that while I may not look like Rigor, I do have a purple hawk, I do wear stuff with skeletal patterns on it and stuff with stripes, I do look like either gender, I do wear the collar like hers, what's important is finding a middle ground.

I don't think everyone goes for just aesthetics, but it's not uncommon for a lot of people to want to be more than what they are. That's why I think that they add things to it, yanno?  Or for example, if they don't like themselves, they want to live through their 'sona because they feel like that is who they truly are. I can see how that can be "cheating" in a sense because you only get a feel for their character and not actually them.

Offline Z1FF

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Being the big bad wolf ain't my style
    • Awards
  • Species: Malamute
  • Coloring: Light Green and Black. One blue eye, one purple. Dark grey hair.
  • Height: 5 ' 9''
  • Weight: 190 pounds
  • Build: looks good. good abs, good biceps,just.. good looking
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 03:38:53 AM »
Well, like I said, I may not look 100% like my sona, but I've been told it's not surprising how I look and that I do..

your so lucky! i've try what i could to look a bit like Dakes... meh... didn't work, his a lot better than what i was thinking =D
FA; http://www.furaffinity.net/user/z1ff/

i'm on FA, on FN, on furfinder, on wiki, on TFF, on google, on msn, on PSN, on youtube, on servimg, on e-monsite, on anything you can ask for but not fb... ^^
I really love and use too much the '' ... ''

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 50 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 04:23:26 AM »
my mind is logical, and thus, my fursona doesnt have and radical colors, just plain ones to blend in to surroundings. The markings I added to give some flair, but still be considered camo.

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 03:46:19 PM »
You have pixels in your face, Macid. So you're geeky? :P