The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Writing Books  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Alphawolf

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf.
  • Coloring: White, Grey and Black.
  • Build: Just a normal build. Nothing to buff or skinny.
Writing Books
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:11:40 PM »
To start off with, I have been writing books from the 7th grade. It took me three years to complete my first one. :| It is about my character that goes on a jouney through different worlds, meets different girls and what not about them, and has some dramatic climaxes in it. Right now, I'm starting my second book. It's like a "big" thing at school too. I'm in 10th right now. Even the teachers are into it too. XD So ya, and I was wondering if other people were writing ones too. >.>
I was never once was a human. My destiny was with the wolves, to always be one of them and not to be a human. I shall take that path and use it with my strength to get through life, as a wolf.

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
Re: Writing Books
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:28:42 AM »
I do. I've been trying to write the 'great' novel since I was eleven. My current book I'm working on is up in the horror thread. I also do a bit of comic book work and script-writing.....I have a thing for telling stories. I just like to do it. I almost live in my stories.
x

Offline Alphawolf

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 08:18:37 PM »
I do too alittle. XD. But the thing I'm more focused on is my picture. Somehow, I can't upload it... :'(
I was never once was a human. My destiny was with the wolves, to always be one of them and not to be a human. I shall take that path and use it with my strength to get through life, as a wolf.

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
  • Species: Winged Siberian Tiger
  • Coloring: White fur with black stripes, sapphire blue eyes, black wings
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 185 lbs.
  • Build: Tall with lean muscles.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:28:33 AM »
Nice to find other authors here. :)

I'm currently in the process of submitting my first real novel to literary agents. Sent out six more query letters today, bringing my total submissions to ten. Thus far, I've recieved 3 rejections, but it doesn't bother me. I know my material is not for everyone. In addition to that, I've got another manuscript currently waiting for revision in my writing projects folder, and I'm currently working on my third novel, which is a Young Adult Werewolf story. I'm actually having a lot of fun with that one. :)

And that's ignoring the fact that the book going out to agents is the first in a series of six. Yeah, there's a long story behind that one. :P
"Avenged Drunkenfold, Disdrunked, and Drunken Force!" - Mike Wengren, drummer for Disturbed.

Offline Alphawolf

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 01:37:27 PM »
Ya, it's nice to meet other authors out there. I know that other people out there wouldn't write because "it is too much work". XP Well, it's not. Mine is about this one wolf, goes on a jouney throught time, and travels to different worlds and realms. It is quiet good if you ask me. My first one has a sad ending to it. :'( But my second on perks up everyone that "might" read my last book. :) So, ya.

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 07:26:20 PM »
Ya, it's nice to meet other authors out there. I know that other people out there wouldn't write because "it is too much work". XP Well, it's not. Mine is about this one wolf, goes on a jouney throught time, and travels to different worlds and realms. It is quiet good if you ask me. My first one has a sad ending to it. :'( But my second on perks up everyone that "might" read my last book. :) So, ya.

It's only too much work if you don't love what you're doing. Yes, it's a lot of work, but it beats the hell out of flipping burgers for eight hours a day. I've had relatives and family friends say that it's not a "real job", that it's not really "work", and I've pretty much gone off on them for it.

"Oh, so you can create at least eight different people, give them their own unique personalities, their own complete life story, their likes, dislikes, beliefs, and motivations, and do this all in your head? And you can also commit all of this information to memory as you start planning the journey you'll send them on, with all it's twists and turns, so you can make sure they stay true to themselves? And you can also commit this journey and all it's details to memory?

"Oh, and by the way, to truly be an author, you have to do this shit five, six, seven, a dozen times! You telling me that you can do all that as though it's just another day at the office? No? Yeah, I didn't think so."

This is my general response to anyone who tells me that writing isn't a real job. True, it's not physically demanding, but it terms of sheer effort, I can damn well guarantee you that I work a lot harder than the guy flipping burgers or pumping gas for minimum wage.* >:(

*Side note: I mean no offense to anyone who does flip burgers or pump gas for minimum wage. I'm just tired of people telling me what I do isn't a "real job."
"Avenged Drunkenfold, Disdrunked, and Drunken Force!" - Mike Wengren, drummer for Disturbed.

Offline Alphawolf

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 09:42:26 PM »
I would have to agree with you a whole bunch. People at my school things that writing a (almost) 700 page book was a waste of time. Well, it's not. It's pretty cool if you ask me. It's basicly like your own world and you can do whatever. Also, I'm writing another one right now that goes with my old one. Again, it is NOT a waste of time and IT IS a REAL JOB! Just look at these other people writing books all over the place. They are making alot more than a minimum wage by far. Even making your own book art makes you more connected to your book. :) So, I like writing and drawing together. :D Anyone else agree?

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 05:58:06 AM »
I'm not so good at drawing, but I did design the cover for my first book and I am quite proud of it.  :)

Offline Alphawolf

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 10:37:36 PM »
So, what is your book called? Just alittle surious. :?

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 08:20:43 PM »
It's called Chronicles of the Apocalypse: Revenge, Everything is Nothing. It's the first in a series of six apocalyptic Urban Fantasy novels, in which our world is invaded be the demonic armies of Hell and only a handful of people who've never met before stand between us and extinction.

Offline Alphawolf

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 12:46:44 AM »
Oh, that sounds cool. :D Alot more interesting than mine... :( I wish I had a creative mind like yours...

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 12:54:14 AM »
the problem with Sasha is that she never finishes jack, and any good ideas she has are tossed out the window in favor of new ones. for example, I could tell you about my book Atreju but what is going to be the point when I abandon it for another, similar but better sounding idea?
x

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 02:45:42 AM »
Oh, that sounds cool. :D Alot more interesting than mine... :( I wish I had a creative mind like yours...

Well if you want to read it, it is available for purchase. Perk of having self-published it. :P

@ Sasha: I've had brushes with that problem before. The one piece of advice I would give is to not throw the ideas away, but store them in the back of your mind. You never know when something will move you back to them. I've had a number of story ideas floating around my head for years now, and I still haven't actually put any of them to paper.

Offline wahstimber

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: timber wolf
  • Coloring: white, black, grey, and blue
  • Height: 5 feet 11 inches
  • Weight: 150 pounds
  • Build: thin but not in-shape
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 04:49:15 AM »
I am currently in the process of writing a sci-fi novel about a chimera (if you don't know, a chimera is like an anthro, the difference is that an anthro is an animal with human qualities, and a chimera is a human that also has the genetic material of another being.) The story itself is meant to be a fictional biography (sort of) and a commentary  on humanity. It is without a doubt, a very, very, furry book.

I am in the middle of my freshman year and have had little time for it, it often takes me three weeks just to pump out 6,000 words, but all the time in between just allows me to think it through better. I hope to finish it this summer, though.

cheers to my fellow authors!

Timber.   
i am a warrior, i have fought on many battle fields and fronts, i have won battles and lost battles... against my mom.

Offline Alphawolf

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 10:48:38 AM »
My book is in the fields of romance, mystery, action, adventure, some non-fiction but mostly fiction, some si-fi, and many other things.  :D