The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: whats it like being furry for you  (Read 6910 times)

Offline Kaprika

• tottaly boss artist
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
    • DeviantArt
    • Deviantart
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf/snow leopard
  • Coloring: light blue, white and black
  • Height: 7 foot 5 inches
  • Weight: thin
  • Build: medium light
  • Currently: eh
Re: whats it like being furry for you
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 11:34:16 PM »
yeah..parents are pretty quick to just assume there child is weird, and not really look past the fact that "its different"
thats why i never told my family..my mother had me medicated since i was three, sort of an obsession of hers..alwase thrilled to find things wrong with me behavioraly so she could rush to my therapist and tell them ALL about it so
she could suggest that i get put on more meds or a higher dosing..she was FURIOUS when i turned 18 and told her to shove her pills down her own damn throat. so then she switched from meds to vitamins, and those she could give to EVERYONE in the family

omg..we would sit down for dinner and on our plates would be like...8 or more vitamins for each of us..we all hated it. mental woman

but yeah..nobody likes to stand out to there parents, not alot of them really comphrehend what it means..and just think its some strange phase there kids going through

<-------this ish me :3  

Shadow hide you..

Offline Drago Strega

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Hear me and my mighty ROAR!
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Clear/Silverish-white
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 02:26:50 AM »

well honestly, family and strangers and such i never thought a issue, but best friends and mates..those are the ones i alwase try to be sure they know. cause im used to hiding myself, but its those few people i SHOULD feel safe and open with.
i personaly think its unhealthy to keep such a large part of who you are a tottaly secret
I know it's unhealthy, but it would be even more unhealthy and troublesome if people were to start trolling me more than the usual... Plus I'm happy with the relationships I have now... Close but detached enough to give everybody the freedom and space they so vigorously try to defend. At least I know it works for me enough so I can be with people. I never felt safe, even with family and friends. Been used, bitten, burned, and rejected too many times to trust peoples good intentions, whatever they maybe. And I know the moment I open my mouth, especially with my situation, I might as well throw myself into the fire from the pan. Plus I dislike unnecessary confrontations, cuz I lack the energy to care. It's better to have something rather then nothing, even if the something is eqivalent to nothing, at least it's still something. Here I'm free to be a furry cuz I'm in a forum full of them...but outside...alone...not yet. Don't have the luxury for that piece of pie, presently. Maybe down the line when I have more money to support myself, and have settled down, then that will be a good enough time for me to open up. Like the wolf in sheeps clothing, your cool so long as nobody can see you, but the moment you reveal yourself as something other than a sheep, you'll get wacked by the shepard and none of the sheep will come near you. So I'll act like a strange ape for alittle while longer it could be a lot worse.
I am that I am, even if only for a moment. And I will always try despite my flaws to summon what I can to become better than what I was.

Offline Kaprika

• tottaly boss artist
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
    • DeviantArt
    • Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 02:33:57 AM »

well honestly, family and strangers and such i never thought a issue, but best friends and mates..those are the ones i alwase try to be sure they know. cause im used to hiding myself, but its those few people i SHOULD feel safe and open with.
i personaly think its unhealthy to keep such a large part of who you are a tottaly secret
I know it's unhealthy, but it would be even more unhealthy and troublesome if people were to start trolling me more than the usual... Plus I'm happy with the relationships I have now... Close but detached enough to give everybody the freedom and space they so vigorously try to defend. At least I know it works for me enough so I can be with people. I never felt safe, even with family and friends. Been used, bitten, burned, and rejected too many times to trust peoples good intentions, whatever they maybe. And I know the moment I open my mouth, especially with my situation, I might as well throw myself into the fire from the pan. Plus I dislike unnecessary confrontations, cuz I lack the energy to care. It's better to have something rather then nothing, even if the something is eqivalent to nothing, at least it's still something. Here I'm free to be a furry cuz I'm in a forum full of them...but outside...alone...not yet. Don't have the luxury for that piece of pie, presently. Maybe down the line when I have more money to support myself, and have settled down, then that will be a good enough time for me to open up. Like the wolf in sheeps clothing, your cool so long as nobody can see you, but the moment you reveal yourself as something other than a sheep, you'll get wacked by the shepard and none of the sheep will come near you. So I'll act like a strange ape for alittle while longer it could be a lot worse.

i can tottaly agree with you on the being used to rejection abuse and betrayal. if it works for you though, keep doing it. everyone functions differently, so you gotta do what works best for you

Shadow hide you..

Offline Alexei

• Crafty Canadian
  • Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • To the moon
  • Species: Cheetah Fox!
  • Height: 180 cm
  • Weight: 66 kg
  • Build: Relatively Lean
  • Currently: Collecting the pieces of my life and putting them back together.
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 02:39:25 AM »
I involuntarily came out a little while ago and there have been some people that bully me because of it, wheather they actually dislike me or if they're simply afraid of being left out, I don't know, I have one or two friends that are still cool, they've stayed by me, but the majority have either completely ignored me or have begun to bully me.

My parents are fine with it, they were actually very proud of me for finding a creative outlet and doing something constructive with my time.
  • Signature art by: The Black Keys

I must admit
I can't explain
Any of these thoughts racing
Through my brain

Offline Drago Strega

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 05:08:54 AM »
i can tottaly agree with you on the being used to rejection abuse and betrayal. if it works for you though, keep doing it. everyone functions differently, so you gotta do what works best for you
Thank you for understanding, you're right that it's not good to keep things from your close friends, but I just strangely do it to protect both parties from unnecessary pain. I wish though things were easier and sane, so people wouldn't have to hide things to protect that which they hold dear to them.
But at least I've found this forum... I'd still be screaming trapped in a little box somewhere, without anything to relate to.  :) It's good to gather with you guys, cuz your good people, even though the world might not be open to furries. But I guess that's the main reason for having a forum in the first place, so we the people can gather and talk like civilized folk and be good friends who help each other out.
And Kaprika, just to let you know, your totally awesome!  :3
I am that I am, even if only for a moment. And I will always try despite my flaws to summon what I can to become better than what I was.

Offline Kaprika

• tottaly boss artist
  • Prancing Pony
  • ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
    • DeviantArt
    • Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 05:23:04 AM »
haha, aww. well thankyou!
not sure for what reasons, but thanks

and yes. small fur societies online have really helped me fufill my furry needs. ive had to downsize my furry lifestyle when iw as living with my parents..but now im on my own and can be more open and free, but that still wanst enough for me
with the forums. i can really feel like a fur again, talking about fur stuff, acting furry and other stuff like that.
its why i think i could now realisticaly realize my dream to own a fursut and actualy walk around in public wearing it
^^

Shadow hide you..

Offline Drago Strega

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 05:27:41 AM »
I involuntarily came out a little while ago and there have been some people that bully me because of it, wheather they actually dislike me or if they're simply afraid of being left out, I don't know, I have one or two friends that are still cool, they've stayed by me, but the majority have either completely ignored me or have begun to bully me.

My parents are fine with it, they were actually very proud of me for finding a creative outlet and doing something constructive with my time.
That's good that your parents are ok with it, at least you can go home where it's safe from the a-hole flammer patrol. I can only hope that fate repays those ruffians with the same exact treatment, if only worse could be done, I'd turn them into toads. :huggles: At least you've got friends here to talk to and when your out of the house traveling, you can try finding some of us at meet ups and conventions. :) Wouldn't that be an adventure?
haha, aww. well thankyou!
not sure for what reasons, but thanks

and yes. small fur societies online have really helped me fufill my furry needs. ive had to downsize my furry lifestyle when iw as living with my parents..but now im on my own and can be more open and free, but that still wanst enough for me
with the forums. i can really feel like a fur again, talking about fur stuff, acting furry and other stuff like that.
its why i think i could now realisticaly realize my dream to own a fursut and actualy walk around in public wearing it
^^
  ^_^ I know what you mean, I now have glamour attacks just by thinking about walking around central park in my own dragon costume, the feeling seems to awesome to describe. I never even use to think about doing such things before I came to this forum, now I can barely wait till I can fly on my own on wings I built. I even drew up blue prints for it, and I'm now in the process of gathering materials to start building my own suit. Just wish I can be done with it soon so I can show everybody myself as me. But it sadly takes a lot of money to make a good accurate suit that won't block your vision or get uncomfortably warm.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:59:41 AM by Drago Strega »

Offline Righteousbro

• Eager Elephant
  • Ekuamahtava
  • Species: Tiger/kitteh
  • Coloring: White and black
  • Height: 6 ft
  • Weight: 150 lbs
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 11:58:12 PM »
I never really came out, but anyone who's ever heard of a furry could tell by the fact that I was always drawing anthros. Sadly this has turned out bad for me :/
I thought it was cool at first; someone noticed my art and then started to talk to me. I was trying to go the school year without making friends since every time I did before they started awesome and ended horribly, but I figured he would be cool since he was a furry, an anime nerd, and he seemed pretty tolerant.
Then as he got comfortable talking to me he revealed himself to be immature and racist and he won't leave me alone now because he is so excited about having a furry as a friend. I found a few more friends here but they turned out to be easily turned immature and racist as well.

But very few people here even know what a furry is.

Offline Kaprika

• tottaly boss artist
  • Prancing Pony
  • ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
    • DeviantArt
    • Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 12:07:35 AM »
yeah, i run into that problem...alot of people see furry as a fandom...like an anime nerd or something.
but no, its not just being a fan..its like your orientation..its who you ARE, what you are inside.
thats a true fur.
and when i try to tell them that they just think im mental or something
:/

Shadow hide you..

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 12:09:27 AM »
it's who i am inside but i don't want it to like consume my life if y'all know what i mean
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
  • Species: Winged Siberian Tiger
  • Coloring: White fur with black stripes, sapphire blue eyes, black wings
  • Height: 6'2&quot;
  • Weight: 185 lbs.
  • Build: Tall with lean muscles.
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 03:04:04 AM »
I consider myself quite lucky in this regard, even though I live "in the closet" as the case my be. No one apart from my former mate knows I'm a furry, and she was wonderfully cool with it. Even play along most of the time, purring, nuzzling after intimacy, things like that. I don't feel the need to tell anyone that I'm a furry, but I wouldn't lie if asked. If one of my friends did, and then started being a jerk, then so much for that friendship. I got betrayed by a friend once before, and I haven't confided anything important in any of my friends since. Nice, friendly, and compassionate though I am, I have serious trust issues.

And aside from that, having this forum has completely satisfied my needs to communicate with other furries. Now about that fursuit... :P
"Avenged Drunkenfold, Disdrunked, and Drunken Force!" - Mike Wengren, drummer for Disturbed.

Offline Kaprika

• tottaly boss artist
  • Prancing Pony
  • ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
    • DeviantArt
    • Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 07:53:47 PM »
 i KNOW!
i tottaly am gonna fursuit the FIRST chance i get
:D

id get it, then set the ENTIRE day aside for wandering california MD in fursuit to show it off to teh peoplz!

Shadow hide you..

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 07:54:18 PM »
i don't has teh money for suiting X3
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline KJOokami

• Avid Aardvark
  • | Lackadaisical Enthusiasm |
  • Species: Wolf-dragon hybrid
  • Coloring: Black and gray with various red markings
  • Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 135 lbs
  • Build: Lanky, but with well-toned muscle
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 09:14:51 PM »
I consider myself quite lucky in this regard, even though I live "in the closet" as the case my be. No one apart from my former mate knows I'm a furry, and she was wonderfully cool with it. Even play along most of the time, purring, nuzzling after intimacy, things like that. I don't feel the need to tell anyone that I'm a furry, but I wouldn't lie if asked. If one of my friends did, and then started being a jerk, then so much for that friendship. I got betrayed by a friend once before, and I haven't confided anything important in any of my friends since. Nice, friendly, and compassionate though I am, I have serious trust issues.
^ This. ^

Aside from the trust issues. Lol. I just see no reason to "come out" and tell everyone that I'm a furry because it doesn't seem necessary. The exception would be a particularly close relationship with a girl (or guy; I'm certainly bi-curious, but still unsure if I might be bi-romantic or bisexual) that I might want to marry at some point. I'd rather not "give up" being a furry (don't know if that's technically possible, depending on your definition of furry) if I can help it, so I'd rather find someone who's, at worst, cool with it or, at best, a furry themselves.

I'm of the opinion that this sort of thing should be your own business. If someone asks, I won't lie about it, but I'm not just going to go shouting it from the rooftops. Haha.
~~~~~~~
It's an insanity thing; you wouldn't understand.
Avatar done by the wonderful KaprikaAZ! Thanks, Kat!

Offline Kaprika

• tottaly boss artist
  • Prancing Pony
  • ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
    • DeviantArt
    • Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 01:06:09 AM »
im thinking of going here to get a furry hoodie so that i may strut mah furry pride!
http://www.calgarycosplay.com/pedobear.php
:3

Shadow hide you..