The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Trash Can Turkey.  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Craxis

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Siberian Tiger
  • Height: 6" 8"
  • Weight: 280
  • Build: Muscular
Trash Can Turkey.
« on: April 02, 2011, 03:30:17 PM »
Here is another one from the backwoods.

1 Roll of aluminum foil
1 Shovel
1 Pair of Heavy Gloves
1 24 inch wood 2x2 post
1 Bag of charcoal (15-20 lbs will be plenty). I normally like to use wood to cook. But you charcoal works just as well here because it doesn't really get any of the smoke.
1 Turkey (any size)
1 NEW metal trash can. Can MUST BE NEW! Do not use a galvanized can. It will produce an odor when it gets hot that will suck into your bird.
Again, vegateble oil, south west chipolte, salt and pepper, and cayenne. Instead of beer, I use bourbon.

Cook times (may depend on weather conditions outside.
10 lbs 50 mins
12 lbs 1hr
14 lbs 1hr 25mins
16 lbs 1hr 40mins
18 lbs 2hrs 5 mins
20 lbs 2hrs 15mins
22 lbs 2hrs 25 mins

Step 1. Prepare your turkey. Take out giblets. Wet rub with vegetable oil, then dry rub with your spices.
Step 2. The first thing you need to do outside is to bury your post about 6 inches deep in the ground. Then cover it with foil then cover the ground for about 2-3 feet around your post with foil.
Step 3. Get another patch of foil and start some coal burning
Step 4. After the coals are burning well place your bird on the post (like you did with the drunken chicken) Place a few glasses with the bourbon in them around the bird and place the trash can over top of the bird.
Step 5. Shovel burning coals around the outside of the trash can, pile it up around the entire base and 1-2 inches over the lip and cover the Bottom (top) of the can with hot coals
Step 6. When it is time use the heavy gloves to lift the can straight off the bird.

Ive noticed that you will get a different taste depending on the type of grass under the foil. So far Ive cooked over St. Augustine, spider grass, and Bahia. All of them were very good. However, the one time I cooked this out in the woods and had the foil over dying leaves and what not on the forest floor the bird wasn't as good. So if you plan on doing this on a camping trip I would suggest clearing out the dead and rot on the ground before placing your foil.