The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: A Bill that makes all Video Game material ILLEGAL  (Read 5295 times)

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
A Bill that makes all Video Game material ILLEGAL
« on: July 02, 2011, 02:09:04 AM »
There is a bill being debated in congress right now, that will make music, movies and such copyrighted media, illegal to stream or make videos of. As it is worded now, this will also include video games.
This means that all streaming or footage of video game tournaments, trailers from E3, Let's Plays* and such, will be considered as illegal material and the makers can be fined for 1000's of dollars or even jailed for 5 years.

Spoiler for Hidden:
In Jail:
Prisoner #1: "I brutally killed my own family. What are you in for?"
Prisoner #2: "I played Super Mario Galaxy."

As for now, this is not illegal to do. Doing a Let's Play*, especially with commentaries, is considered a transformative work and can even serve as free advertising for the game by making viewers want to play it themselves. But because of the way this bill has been worded, everyone that has uploaded or streamed this, will be violators of the law. Everyone with video game material that does not have an exclusive permission from the copyright holders, will be shut down.
* Let's Play: a video game play through, often done with commentaries by the one playing.

It will also be illegal to put videos of yourselves on the internet, singing songs that other people have created. People have gotten record deals because of this. Justin Beiber being one of these people.

Large scale companies will be forced to shut down. Anybody heard of Machinima? "Machinima is the dominant video entertainment network for gamers around the world showcasing gameplay, original shows, game trailers and news."
Do the names "Yogscast", "Chuggaaconroy", "Josh Jepson", "KiloReborn", "ProtonJon" and "NintendoCapriSun" ring any bells? Everyone will be shut down.

"The Big People" in Hollywood are pushing hard on this bill because they want it to go through. And this is understandable as the bill also covers their films. It has just barely been taken up, but people estimate it won't take too long for it to pass.

For more information, you can watch this video:
http://youtu.be/hytigOSjJxc
In the video description, they link to this website where people can give their opinion to the US congress:
http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/ten_strikes?akid=700.450896.5hVZPC&rd=1&t=1
Or you can read this thorough article:
http://shoryuken.com/2011/06/29/trolling-the-stream-by-ultradavid/

As I am not an American, I have no way of directly affecting this. I can't contact the congress. But there are many others that can.
And by creating this topic, I encourage a debate on whether passing this bill as it is, is okay or not. What could be changed? What can be done?

My opinion is that the essence of the bill is all right. Copying copyrighted material and posting it online is not all right. Stealing films, series and music is not okay. But this bill will censor so much that does not need to be removed from the internet, that it needs to be rewritten in order to not unleash a massive battle between law and the internet gamers around the world. Game material is an altering thing, it's ever changing and is "created" as the viewer sees it, by the one playing. The only thing in a game that is copyrighted is the software itself. It should stay this way.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:54:10 AM by The Great Puncia »

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
Re: A Bill that makes all Video Game material ILLEAGAL
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:26:16 AM »
annnnnd my respect for america has dwindled a bit more. which is odd, because i had 0 respect for america to begin with
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline LyrilaFox

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Community Hobo DJ
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Manncowmoo
    • Awards
  • Species: Elemi Fulf
  • Coloring: Depends on form
  • Height: about 6'0" when Anthro [3'6" - Feral]
  • Weight: about 150lbs Anthro [100lbs- Feral]
  • Build: pretty curved body structure, not really fat
  • Currently: stuff :D
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 02:28:35 AM »
omigawd! that may mean most of the people on youtube will be violators [[me being one]] thats horrible, thats it, i'm pushing the button!

who made this bill, they will die

Post Merge: July 02, 2011, 02:35:29 AM
do you mind if i copy this and post it on another site?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:35:29 AM by Manncowmoo, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
  • Avatar by: Avatar by WingedZephyr
  • Signature art by: Siggy by Me [Manncowmoo]

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 02:41:28 AM »
annnnnd my respect for america has dwindled a bit more. which is odd, because i had 0 respect for america to begin with
It could be any government in any country that did this and it would be the same. I guess the only reason it's happening in America is that most copyright laws are made here, as most large companies that benefit from those very laws, are in America.

omigawd! that may mean most of the people on youtube will be violators [[me being one]] thats horrible, thats it, i'm pushing the button!

who made this bill, they will die

Post Merge: July 02, 2011, 02:35:29 AM
do you mind if i copy this and post it on another site?
I only wrote a summary of what I thought might be important from the YouTube video, but you're of course welcome to copy it and spread the word. If you click "quote" on my first post and remove the [quote author ... part at the top and bottom, you'll have the exact coding to make the same post, with links and all.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:47:37 AM by The Great Puncia »

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 02:46:23 AM »
It could be any government in any country that did this and it would be the same. I guess the only reason it's happening in America is that most copyright laws are made here, as most large companies that benefit from those very laws, are in America.
or it could just be that our government serves only the greedy corporations now? ah well, it ain't worth debating about
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 02:49:29 AM »
Neither is it what this topic is about. :)

But I'm glad people are as concerned as I am, and some even spreading it on to other sites.

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 02:50:34 AM »
So I cant parody anything anymore is what they're trying to say? thats stupid.

Offline ^Geist^

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 02:52:34 AM »
Illegal*
Heard about this recently.
Im pretty sure anon ops will be on this if it is passed  B)
even if they do pass this bill though nothing is going to stop the streaming of music and films etc. I mean its not good to post copyrighted material but I and tons of other people do it regardless. If it hasnt stopped people before it isn't going to stop them now I for one ,am one of these people like it or not. http://www.cristgaming.com/pirate.swf .Internet laws are just getting stricter and stricter imo  and like in a video I saw the creator mentioned we are regressing back into the dark ages.  Soon enough our internet laws will be equivalent of that to china and if it really gets bad north korea. if  It will not only affect the us but other countries too if you think about it. All the gaming videos around the world will be blocked from being viewed in the us.

Good luck my american brothers and sisters.

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
Re: A Bill that makes all Video Game material ILLEGAL
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 02:57:43 AM »
It was a typo, I swear. D: I know how to spell "illegal". Thanks, I corrected it.

But I do not believe it will be blocked in the US. For instance, HALF of all videos with any copyrighted material is already blocked for me as a Norwegian because of copyright laws. Constantly people link me videos on YouTube and I get a message saying "The material in this video is blocked in your country. Sorry about that." or something of the sort. Why would a law such as this only affect America?

Offline ^Geist^

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 03:04:14 AM »
It was a typo, I swear. D: I know how to spell "illegal". Thanks, I corrected it.

But I do not believe it will be blocked in the US. For instance, HALF of all videos with any copyrighted material is already blocked for me as a Norwegian because of copyright laws. Constantly people link me videos on YouTube and I get a message saying "The material in this video is blocked in your country. Sorry about that." or something of the sort. Why would a law such as this only affect America?
*Me being the grammar police  XP

wait wat.

Im kinda confused but I mean like Lets say I post an lp video In canada. MY friend in the United States would not be able to view it. My friend from Russia could still view it if it doesn't break any of the laws there.

It would only "directly" affect america because every single country has its own laws/rules/regulations.

Offline NJMike

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • My YouTube
    • Awards
  • Species: Crux
  • Coloring: Black and gray
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 150 lbs.
  • Build: Athletic/toned, very flexible.
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 03:08:34 AM »
Well then I guess my YouTubing days are over because pretty much all 185 of my videos are video game gameplay stuff. Screw this bill, man...
  • Signature art by: Puncia

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 03:31:25 AM »
Im kinda confused but I mean like Lets say I post an lp video In canada. MY friend in the United States would not be able to view it. My friend from Russia could still view it if it doesn't break any of the laws there.

It would only "directly" affect america because every single country has its own laws/rules/regulations.

I've never heard about the restrictions being the other way around and thus, blocking Americans from viewing. Interesting. Though from my POW a ton of material is blocked because of copyright laws. Take Pandora for instance. Pandora is only open for Americans. When I enter their page, I get this message: "We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S.", and I come across similar things a lot.

I admit I have not read the bill itself. And English legal documents are... mildly confusing, I must admit. But the bill would take down all videos on places like YouTube, regardless, would it not? Because it's part of the law the producer of said copyrighted material is under.

Offline Kaprika

• tottaly boss artist
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
    • DeviantArt
    • Deviantart
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf/snow leopard
  • Coloring: light blue, white and black
  • Height: 7 foot 5 inches
  • Weight: thin
  • Build: medium light
  • Currently: eh
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 03:46:46 AM »
honestly they are shooting themselves in the foot by doing this....seriously.

half the animes ive bought or games ive played i got them cause i saw something online about them that perked my interest. they will be sorry if they do this...

<-------this ish me :3  

Shadow hide you..

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 03:51:52 AM »
I don't think google would like youtube going down and out, I see this law going down quickly. There's so many other groups that would not like this to happen, I'm sure it would equal out. These series of laws such as the COICA, S.978, Blacklist IP and other such media industry driven laws will probably fail. Hopefully most people read what they are voting on this time, it will forever deal a fatal blow to online privacy.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 04:33:40 AM »
The scary thing is that it isn't targeting video games, but the way it is written makes it so it also includes video games with music, film, etc. At least that's what I've come to understand. Which makes it a lot more understandable and appealing.