The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: new to roleplaying anyone wanna teach about it?  (Read 4926 times)

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Bibliophilic Philosopher
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • How can you expect to win if you don't play?
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and white.
  • Height: 6' 4''
  • Weight: 180 lbs
  • Build: Lithe and strong
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: No longer a member
Re: new to roleplaying anyone wanna teach about it?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 05:06:08 AM »
Excellent. You picked up on the story, extrapolated your own inferences, commented on my actions, and built the next leg of the story. Wonderful.

If I were running this as an actual RP, you and I would be in PM contact to ensure that nothing occurs during the fight that I, as the Author, would not wish to occur (like a death or insta-kill). Let's assume that this is, as previously stated, a sparring match and we just kind of tap-around for a bit.

Let's continue.

--- --- ---

Otebon's attack was easily blocked by his student and his quick reactions, just as Otebon knew he would.

Otebon's right hand dropped down so that the flat of the blade of his dagger would catch the katana midway down the blade and prepared himself for the impact. He allowed his body-weight to continue falling forward though, bringing him in closer to his opponent.

A lesson that Otebon had tried to drill into his young students head a thousand times was the concept of positioning and distance. Although Jesse was almost supernaturally fast with the katana (a sheer testament to the amount of time he had spent training with it), it would always be slower than Otebon's daggers. The benefit to such a weapon was its reach vastly outdid that of the daggers. No matter what Otebon did, he would have to get close enough to give Jesse a hug to be able to strike.

Otebon's feet landed lightly on the ground, but never stopped moving. Though his left had was out wide, still entangled with Jesse's sheath, and his right was blocking, Otebon took a step forward. Now the two wolves were nearly face to face.

Let's see how you deal with an opponent that won't stop charging. How will you punish my foolish mistake of coming well within reach of your blade?
--- --- ---

As something interesting (at least in my mind), as very little of the role playing you will see here is with humans and mainly focused on anthropomorphic animals (big surprise, I know), there are very interesting aspects to combat that can be explored. For instance, most animals have tails that they are able to control to some degree. How would that fare in destabilizing an opponent? Most animals have fangs, claws, or even spikes that are naturally occurring and one of their strongest defensive features. How would one use that in the average fight?

I suggest you open your mind to new possibilities and explore your fursona. Have fun!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 05:17:36 AM by Otebon12 »
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline darryldemented

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Species: wolf
  • Coloring: gray fur with black stripe down the middle of back
  • Height: 6'0
  • Weight: 200 lbs
  • Build: lean
  • Currently: drooling as i wonder what is for lunch <3
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 08:06:52 PM »
i think it would be assumed that since this is a sparring match the most damage one could do even using real weapons would be that we could only inflict minor damage on eachother.

how would killing an opponent work anyway?
their fursona couldn't just die, could it? even if so it would have to be revived for other use in other topics and such. correct?
__ _ __

Jesse's attack was effortlessly blocked by otebon. The old master kept charging but jesse wasn't startled in the least. their blades were entangled any movement from either of them would only result in being entangled more especially on Jesse's side. Jesse growled defiantly and pushed into his masters dagger as if trying to stab him and then pulled back, quickly leaping backwards and spinning in the air coming down in a defensive stance.

he remembered the technique well. "disengage from a situation where you can only be tangled. if you push forward even further you will be a sitting duck, any advantage you previously had will have left you and you will be vulnerable" his master had said during training once.

jesse had  taken this to heart immediately. when he was younger and the bandits raided his home town, killing off all the villagers he had made the mistake of pushing back. he had hoped to knock the attacker on his back but had only been entangled and left stuck in his enemy's grasp. the bandint then used his dagger to give jesse the scar on his face. jesse fought back valiantly but was left with two options: retreat or be killed. jesse was wise enough to retreat but vowed to get stronger and track down and kill the bandits.

he then sake out a master to teach him the ways of the battle. he looked for months and was finally led by a villager in a rural town at the base of a mountain. the villager had told him a master lived on the mountain top and accepted new students each year in the spring. jesse was in luck. he petitioned Otebon to make him his student and with a series of small tests earned the right to be taught the ways of the blade.

he had grown a lot over the previous year and was almost ready to prove himself worthy to be called a warrior.  his training would soon be over and he would be able to extract his revenge on the bandit lord Saker soon! he would start with the smaller branches of the clan and make his way to the main camp to confront Saker himself.

saker was a foe to be recconed with, he had taken over most of the smaller towns and villages in the region of jesses childhood. it was rumored he could single handedly lay waster to battalions of enemies without breaking a sweat. jesse wasn't worried in the least. his master had trained him extensively. taught him how to combat enemies by the dozend, taught him how to make traps and bombs and such to deal with groups of foes.

jesse focused on the battle at hand. he then charged back at his master slashing his sword downward  hitting the dagger in his masters right hand away and strafing right, no longer tangled in his blades, he was once again able to attack.  he rushed forward again swinging his blade in a large X in front of him, he felt sure he would land at least one blow!

vengeance will one day soon be mine! he thought.

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 05:17:23 AM »
Excellent story exposition. It explains your character nicely. I would suggest that you don't make every post this way (this is a problem I have, I hope you do better than I do...) as it really slows down the RP.

As to your question about death in an RP, it isn't final. A fursona is just a character used by the person playing it. It is not necessary (though I do as I hate to tell the same story multiple times) to create a new character each time as many just reuse their fursonas. You could join a hundred RPs and use Jesse every time with no changes beyond what is required for the story.

Now to continue...

Just for smiles and giggles, let us assume that the following has occurred between us between the past two posts...
-I have PMed you saying that I will put in my post that you land a strike. I apologize for controlling your character and wanted to ask your permission to do this as it would move the story forward.
-You replied saying that it was alright and that I could move ahead with the plan.

This is the result...

--- --- ---

Otebon allowed his student to fall back, he had done admirably in retreating from Otebon's shorter blades. Now, however, a new issue arose. From Jesse's facial expression, Otebon could tell that his choice of weapon, the daggers, may have been in error. They were causing him to remember his horrific past and giving him great emotional turmoil.

Jesse charged, swinging his blade left and right. It was a magnificent charge, perfect in every way except one: it was fueled by rage.

Although every single fighter that Otebon had ever met would have scolded him for it, he charged towards Jesse's blade with his hands outstretched and low. Just at the last moment, he ducked to his left. It was a maneuver that he had done before in front of Jesse and it had caused him to overbalance last time, losing the bout for Jesse. This time though, Jesse was prepared.

Otebon felt more than heard the slight pulling sensation as his training garb was sliced down the back, ruining the robe. As he came up to his feet, he had to roll his shoulders so that the robe's two halves could fall off his body and reveal the myriad of scars lining his chest.

"You have learned much Jesse," Otebon said with great satisfaction. I knew that I picked him well. "You are ready for the Trials."

--- --- ---

As a quick thought, do you have access to the adult section? I see on your profile that you are 18. If you can get access, find an RP and the associated OOC for "A New Breed of War", you could join my RP. I reserve the right to approve a character, but your RP skills are definitely above par.

You are welcome to send in a character application.

:)
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline darryldemented

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 07:34:42 PM »
thank you :) and i know i just remembered you saying you liked writing and that its better to put more detail so i did. i just made up part of jesses back story as i wrote that. the bandit attack on his home was already there but the extra stuff i just threw in. i think ill keep it :D

and ok.

___ _ __

jesse continued to charge his master his vision turned red as his mind filled with a feral rage over the bandits. he landed a long blow down Otebons back however only the tip of the blade touched his master resulting in a long tear down his robe. Otebon was not hurt however.

he merely shrugged his shoulders causing his robe to fall around his waist exposing a collection of scars all over his body from past battles. he looked at jesse with proud eyes. "you have learned much jesse, you are ready for the trials!" his master said.

jesse panted as his body was succumbed to exasperation. he was wiped out he had put all he had in his rage fueled attack. he sunk to his knee and lay down his blade. a small toothy grin spread across his face, he would now be able to prove his skill, and earn the right to be called a warrior.

___ _ __

yes i i have acsess. and that sounds cool ill have to do that later. of course youll have to fill me in on what its about.

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 10:48:37 PM »
As for entry to my RP, just read up on what's gone on (i think we are at 7 pages of actual story and 4 of OOC) and make sure that you submit a character that I accept.

I don't mean that you should never write a massive post, I just think that when I said that I write a lot and I prefer that, it may have been unclear that back story posts should come very infrequently. Maybe one or two every two or three pages of RP is safe, but always follow the story. For example, your character may come across a a street that has special meaning and you can write something there.

Let's say that combat is completed, so are there any other questions or situations you would like to see if I can answer?

Offline darryldemented

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 10:56:32 PM »
ill probrably submit jesse XD

then i again i kinda wanna make a scaly character so i may submit a different one idk yet.

and is magic used the same was as a melee weapon?
and whats ooc mean?

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 12:03:52 AM »
To answer your questions...

Magic
-Magic is under the control of the Author. Some like to run it through very short spells or make it some big effort. I would really run spells kind of like firearms however (fire a spell and end your post with it either missing purposefully or in air so the Author can decide). Personally, I love "quick spells" like True name magic or most spells in books, so spells could be pretty much anything and used anywhere.

OOC means "Out Of Character". There is usually a thread that is labeled OOC so that people can talk outside the RP and make sure that everyone reads it.

Offline darryldemented

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 12:18:25 AM »
ah ok
and im still waiting on the mod to give me permission to use the adult area
i thought since i am an adult id automaticly be able to use it XD

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 12:19:45 AM »
One would think that, but then you have to ask how the Mods would know.

I can type my age in as 123456789, but it doesn't make it so.

Any other questions?

Offline darryldemented

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 12:26:53 AM »
no not really lol
btw im up for other roleplay scenarios if you want to make one up or continue this one its cool

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 12:29:08 AM »
Really up to you.

I have found that I can make up characters almost on the spot as long as I know a bit of story, so if there are any situations that you would like to try out, I can attempt to assist.

(*note: I cannot help with RPing love and mating as it is not allowed on this particular board)

Post Merge: November 21, 2011, 12:30:46 AM
Also, you can start reading the premise of New Breed of War in the Serious RP section here. I closed it due to the possibility of violence, love, and other such adult situations.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:30:46 AM by Otebon12, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline darryldemented

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 12:45:07 AM »
i think i could too.  if i really tried that is.

how about a situation where one of us evolves and gets wings XD haha ill let you pick who
we can just use otebon and jesse if you like. (unless you have another character in mind)
and when i signed up there was talk of a hotel of some sort for furs on the site?
what was that? and wow people do mating stuff on here X_X haha

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 01:04:18 AM »
I don't know about the hotel, and I apologize about saying New Breed of War was in the Serious RP section. It's actually in the same section as this thread. I said Serious RP because that's where it is in the Adult section, so...

In the adult section, there is a whole new set of rules. Much more is open (things that aren't PG-13 like gratuitous blood and mating) but the rules are a bit more severe in their punishments. It's something you have to work for though to break the rules, so there really shouldn't be an issue.

For the wing issue, are you looking for something like aerial combats or movement, or what? Tell me what you think, but here is a start.

--- --- ---

Otebon slowly picked up the pieces of his robe and walked over to a set of doors to his right. That was where he kept his personal belongings while he was here, and he believed that he had another shirt.

"I can't believe how far you've come Jesse," Otebon said as he went to retrieve his new clothes. Once he had reemerged into the training room, he moved immediately to the stands that held his weapons and returned the daggers to their sheathes. "There's very little more that I can teach you anymore. You-"

Otebon froze and looked up as the doors on the far end of the room flung open. A large winged silhouette blocked the doors. The figure entered the room and the doors swung closed behind it.

Otebon sighed loudly. "Mira," he said with a laugh. "How many times have I asked you not to throw open those doors like that?"

"Sorry uncle" the gryphoness said with a slight laugh. "I'll try to remember next time."

"Sure you will," Otebon said as he moved forward past Jesse. She was about as tall as Otebon but much smaller in build. Her rich golden fur gave way to snow-white feathers as it approached her neck and continued down her back. Her wings were massive and powerful, but Otebon took care to not crush them in his hug. "Just as you remember to practice your spells every day, right?"

Otebon turned as Mira groaned. "Jesse, I don't believe you've ever met my niece Mira. Mira, this is Jesse."

Disentangling herself from Otebon, Mira came forward to Jesse. She made a deep bow about five feet from him. "Greetings Jesse," Mira said softly.

--- --- ---

Take it from there

Offline darryldemented

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 01:30:11 AM »
that's OK maybe i was imagining it XD and i assumed the reason it was adult would be because of graphic stuff such as mating but who knows these days.

and no just random situation where one character evolves but that would add an advantage over bandits for Jesse i suppose.
____

Otebon put away his daggers and changed praising jesse. he said he couldn't believe how much Jesse had grown and that he couldn't teach Jesse more.

just then the doors to the dojo blew open and a griphoness entered the dojo. Jesse had never seen a griphoness before. the region he was from was mainly home to wolves bears foxes rodents songbirds and various reptiles but never something of this nature.

Otebon scolded the griffon for blowing the doors open. in doing so he revealed her name was Mira and she apologized and promised not to do so again. she had called him uncle. Jesse thought his ears had betrayed him, Jesse was shocked at hearing this.

"Jess i don't believe you've ever met my niece Mira," otebon said turning to face him "Mira this is Jesse" the griphoness approached and bowed. Jesse noticed her large wingspan. it had to be at least 15 feet across, he had never met any avian with a wingspan larger than maybe 8 feet.

"greetings Jesse" Mira said softly. "hello" Jesse replied timidly. bowing slightly but keeping his gaze on her. he was curious and cautious.

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 02:45:39 AM »
you wanted to RP a situation where your character spontaneously transforms? Is that what you are asking?

I'm not saying it's impossible, it just has to be within the bounds of the story. For example: the story is filled with magic potions that give the drinker wings or the world is based off technology where wings can be made (like a backpack) or grafted on.

The RPing of such a situation depends on the situation and completely up to the Author and you.

In respect to your RPing, you don't have to repost what I have said. It does tend to slow down the movement and make your several lines look to be much more than what it actually is.

I don't mean this to be mean, but the only actions you took in the previous line is say hello. You did post 5 small paragraphs, but did not advance the story. Try to make every line offer something to the story as a whole and continue the action. As the next poster, there isn't much to build off of.

It is well written, just not a lot... (Sorry for the tone, I'm having trouble right now modifying that...)