The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Write a Paragraph, push the story  (Read 13061 times)

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • When god closes a door, I plant a breaching charge
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: African Painted Dog
  • Coloring: Black, red and white.
  • Height: Standing: short. Sitting: Slightly... taller?
  • Weight: 97.000000000000017 Kg
  • Build: Medium build, muscular.
  • Currently: Working on the sweetest sciences
Re: Write a Paragraph, push the story
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2012, 04:52:16 PM »

"And what of the weapon? What will you do with it?" Otebon glanced at Zat, guaging his reaction before he said anything. "Destroy it." It was obvious that this was a lie. Mstislav saw through it, too "Zat, do not play me for a fool. What will you do with the weapon?"
"Do you think that this technology can ever be reversed? This is, or rather was, the next Rubicon. Things can never again be the same, and by erasing what was done will only garuntee that it will repeat itself."

Sorry, you're right D: I suppose I should explain my thoughts; Mstislav started, Zat responded, Mstislav, Zat.  Oh dear...
  • Avatar by: Myself, during an experiment with inversion.
"Science isn't about being conservative with your cash, it's about spending as much as you can as ridiculously as you can and hoping it doesn't explode."
- Sjin

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
-Aoren Rekner Ilon Deringer, F.D.F. Mechanised Unit Commander, Four Stars.

Life is an adventure! Sure, you'll probably spend most of it weeping uncontrollably, and on fire, but hey!

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Bibliophilic Philosopher
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • How can you expect to win if you don't play?
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and white.
  • Height: 6' 4''
  • Weight: 180 lbs
  • Build: Lithe and strong
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: No longer a member
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2012, 09:07:03 PM »
Eh, happens to the best of us sometimes.

Barely pausing for breath, Zat ran over Mstislav's attempts at responding. "You know that I can't stand the pitiful attempts of governments plying for control. The only thing that people respect is power. With such a weapon in our arsenal, who would oppose us? What country would be foolish enough to wage war when a new Superpower reigns from on high? If one decides to wage war on another, then that country would be torn apart by it's own people, by the mindless drones that used to be its citizens..."

Otebon couldn't handle anymore. "Which is exactly why I suggested to Mark that we destroy it and the record of it ever existing. Such technology cannot be aloud to be used in such a fashion. If we can erase this from the face of the Earth, everyone will be better off for it..." Otebon's eyes dropped to the table. "Even if it means killing everyone that has something to do with it. If I must sacrifice thousands... no millions... for the sake of trillions, I will."
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2012, 11:10:30 PM »
Ugh I would write but I havent slept in two days. I'll give you my paragraphs Otebon.
"Science isn't about being conservative with your cash, it's about spending as much as you can as ridiculously as you can and hoping it doesn't explode."
- Sjin

Life is an adventure! Sure, you'll probably spend most of it weeping uncontrollably, and on fire, but hey!

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2012, 11:20:15 PM »
To be completely honest, I don't know where to go from here... I think we wrote ourselves into a hole. Unless you have a plan, I think I'll wait.
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2012, 11:21:14 PM »
Hmm, besides causing one of those men from earlier to enter with a shovel I dunno. I'll think about it.
- Sjin

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2012, 07:44:21 PM »
Alright I'm gong to have another stab at it. Although you took my idea in a extreme direction, Otebon xD Ah well, the world has no use for subtlety.

"Do you really expect to kill them all? I think you misunderstand... This is not the only instalation with such capabilities. There are dozens, possibly even hundred or thousands. Hidden across this globe. Even if I disagree with its use, practicality demands that such an undertanking be removed as a possibility." Mstislav's eyes were downturned as he said this "Our only hope would be to reveal it to all. Get the men of power in this world to agree to a new convention, or perhaps just include this weapon in the agreements of old."

The undeniable logic of Mstislav's argument reverberated in Otebon's ears. He didn't know what to think; there was no right answer. "But governments fail; they lie and the arms race continues. We cannot expect them to follow such a contract, to deny such power."

And the response is yours, mate! I think I left it pretty open.
- Sjin

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2012, 08:19:33 PM »
Eh... I'm not really happy with what I've written before... but I guess that's the point right? To practice writing and this is nothing more than an exercise. Ah well... trudge along I guess...

The Russian Bear leaned back in his chair and laced his paws together over his chest. "We are not arguing the strength and trustworthiness of governments, but the response of the people of the world." The Bear sighed. "Even though some misguided souls may use it from time to time, the weapons of disease and poison have been nearly eradicated from the battle field. Although War is not something to smile at, no longer are the trenches of World War One what is common. Those that use such weapons openly are condemned for no one nation is willing to anger the rest by supporting a traitor to the treaties that make life possible. We can hope that, when the people are made aware that the new direction of the arms race is slavery, such a cry will  resound that those responsible will be dealt with and there will be efforts made to safeguard the world from it's use."

Otebon bowed his head in shame. He may not have lived as long as the Bear, but he had been an avid student of history at one point. It seems that every few decades, someone came up with a new way to kill and enforced their rule through steel and blood. Warfare was constant and Sentience was cruel. The only thing that was respected was Power. The only thing that was feared was Power greater than your own.

We've been talking here for a while. Feel free to continue or wrap it up. I vote to get back to whatever it is we were doing previously. (Have to reread a few posts).

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2012, 08:45:57 PM »
Zat cut back in "Well either way we need a ride. What have you got?"
Mstislav paused for a moment, working his tonguw through his mouth thoughtfully "I have an old BMW 5 series. Looks nice, so it would probably get you close to Cheyenne. Make it through the roadblocks, too. As for your trip, my little wanted fellows... I have nothing that can get you through the canyons without attracting undue attention. We hike through. I suggest you do the same."

Sorry for it being so short...
- Sjin

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2012, 08:55:10 PM »
No problem. All that matters is the story right?

Otebon looked up. They had moved on from his embarrassment and he felt he could simply ignore it for a while. The thought of hiking through canyons (even at the pace Zat usually set) was not bothersome to Zat. Between the five of them, Otebon was sure that he could keep up even if it was a dead run all day; thanks to the more... lupine aspects of his DNA. The problem he foresaw was Marcus. He knew his friend hadn't said anything, but Otebon knew that he was starting to feel the effects of such forced marches. Once more, Otebon visited an old riddle for him and wondered why Humans were seen as an evolutionary pinnacle in their own right.

Zat nodded. "Fair enough," he said quickly. "from your talk of 'undue attraction', I'm guessing that we are staring at nightfall then?" Without waiting for a response (though the Bear did nod yes), Zat stood, threw his head back, and downed the last of his vodka. "Then I'm going to get some sleep. You do what you please. Oh, and Mstislav? I'd appreciate it if we weren't bothered while we sleep. Yekatarina's welcome was... inappropriate."

I want to write more to have reactions and dialogue... Ugh... I'm falling back into the dialogue trap where I want to write pages and only get 2 paragraphs... Feel free to do as you wish!

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2012, 10:20:36 PM »
Heh, I know that trap. Although I end up doing the same even when free of dialogue. Technical papers that are just walls of text; nobody ever wants to read up on my work because I usually fail to seperate it adequately. Hmm, I do believe I mispelled that.

It was not long before Otebon found himself (and Marcus) in a tent on the far side of the camp, away from most of the other men of the camp. The din of supply people and other such workers keeping the camp alive was clearly audible through the ragged canvas, and dusty sunlight filtered in through the holes worn into the fabric. Otebon looked around at his surroundings, ad then to Marcus, who was laying on a filthy cot "Reminds me of our operational days, what about you?" Marcus smirked slightly and sat up in response.
"Hell, our operational days are back. Too bad I treid to sleep in that damnable car. Can't get a wink now." Otebon knew what he meant and allowed him to continue "Of course that's not to say that I would be any better off sleeping here. Feel like these people are as likely to stick a shiv in you as shake your hand."  Otebon looked at his watch 3:15... "Well at least we get our own tent." Marcus nodded in concurance and Otebon looked towards the flap of the tent "Gives us all some room. Did you hear what he said in there? He wants it Marcus... If I was unsure if I could trust him before, I'm terrified now."

You're on mate. Sorry if I changed my style up a bit; wanted to explain their surroundings further.
- Sjin

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2012, 06:27:26 AM »
Truth be told... I like this style more. It's more... lively?
(also, if you were asking how to spell the word "separate"... Sorry...) ;)

Marcus covered his head with a pillow; as if that would help. "Look, you and I both know what happens to people that... what was that phrase again? Oh yeah... 'Reach for the Sun'. No one person is going to ever have that much power. The people we used to work for would certainly never allow something like that. It disrupts business at the very least. Some little squirt gets it into his head that he wants to become King of the Mountain and someone else comes around and pushes him off." Marcus' hand came up and waved vaguely in Otebon's direction. "You keep going on about knowing history, so why are you worried? You know the world rights itself eventually so just breath deep and keep moving along."

Otebon smiled at his feet as Marcus finished talking. Now that he had some time away from the abrasive Half-Breed, his friends loquacious attitude had made a miraculous resurgence. Otebon still remembered when that bright and cheery outlook had saved them all from insanity time and time again. Times when the horrors of his previous job would keep him up at night and jump at shadows, Marcus would find Otebon standing in Sarah and Tammo's room, watching over them; keeping them safe from nightmares like this. Marcus would always be there with some wry comment that would make Otebon smile.

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »
I'm not even going to begin to talk about how difficult it was to get this written and posted. It did, however, take over an hour of frustration.

"Although our squirt isn't particularly little..I suppose he'd be even bigger if he was more wolfish. Oh god, the thought of it!" Marcus chuckled at his thought, and Otebon couldn't help but join him. Marcus' infectious laughter ended with a sigh and his shoulders fell "I just realized that we're going on a serious mountain hike tonight. You think I could get Zat drunk and ride him through?" Otebon laughed in earnest at the thought.

After a moment of shared contemplation of Marcus' little scheme (which evolved into continuously more complex variations far past the point of ridiculousness) Otebon realized that the last meal that they had was the day before, at Yekaterina’s. "Marcus, I have a proposal." his friend gave him his undivided attention "We are after all going on a 'serious mountain hike', so we're going to need food, right?" Marcus nodded slowly in response "Well they I say we go and find the mess." The only response was Marcus darting for the entrance to the tent.
- Sjin

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2012, 03:54:17 AM »
Otebon swiftly caught up to his friend just outside the tent, and from there the hunt was on. Guided mainly by their experiences in camps like this and their noses, soon they came upon the camp's Mess Tent. It was a large, low affair of camo-pattern cloth with camo-netting spread over the top and out towards the nearby trees. Without much ado, the two entered and found themselves hitting the tail end of the "lunch rush", if such a thing existed. There were only a few souls (not a single one Human) sitting at the closely-packed tables and there was a short line for the food. The two fell in behind an female Antelope wearing a green tank-top and fatigues.

Marcus, being in front of Otebon, looked over her shoulder to inspect what was for lunch. It seemed like there were two main options set out for the para-military force. A vegetarian option for those that couldn't digest the meat and a more carnivorous meal was farther down the line so that it didn't bother those like the Antelope. Marcus turned and whispered conspiratorially to Otebon that "this reminds me like when you and I used to work together. I wonder if they have the same rules against cross-species dating?" He then nudged Otebon with his shoulder and made an overexaggerated wink.

I thought that since you've been putting up with a lot recently, you should have the gift of determining how Otebon reacts? Does he continue the joke? Does he shoot his friend down? Does the scene from Top Gun make a reappearance with Marcus singing top lead? Is Otebon Goose?

Tune in next post for the continuation of this exciting saga!

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2012, 05:12:14 PM »
 That made me laugh! But I'll take a slightly different angle... Oh, and FYI a female antelope is called a doe :P

The doe twitched her sensitive ears and turned to Marcus, lifting one brow inquisitively. "Oh uhh, well, you see-" Marcus'' embarrassed stutter was mercifully interrupted when she grabbed her plate and left to the far end of the mess. Marcus blushed readily and averted his eyes, staring at the ratty plastic table-cloth, and Otebon laughed heartily. Soon they were sitting nearby with their sad plates of overcooked beef (at least they hoped it was beef) and Otebon was still smirking. "Hey, will you stop with the face?"

They were interrupted by the doe, who sat slightly down the table and stared at Marcus, slowly batting her eyes. This, of course caused Otebon to collapse mirthfully, and provided a welcome distraction from the mystery of the foreign meat. Marcus seemed to shrink at the confrontation "Hey, uhh, so, how are you?". His awkward attempt at small talk just amused Otebon further, but the doe seemed unfazed and simply got up and walked closer, rummaging in her rear pocket. She sat down and showed it to Marcus, who's face become somewhat more solemn. Otebon tilted his head and Marcus tilted the card so that he could see. The card stated, in grand bold lettering "I have vestigial vocal chords" Otebon understood; she was a mute.

Hmm, you're up. A similar situation happened to me and a buddy of mine recently. Just seemed natural. Anyway I wanted to bring to light the condition of those in the camp, how they're not the prime candidates for military operations and the like...
- Sjin

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2012, 06:08:43 AM »
Thank you. I was unaware of that. I think I still would have written it the same just because I identify Furs by capital letters on the species, but thank you. Also, interesting plot twist.

Marcus smiled triumphantly. Putting his fork down, he cracked the fingers of both hands and lifted them up to eye level. Then let me respond to you in ASL, he signed to the Doe. I learned when I was in High School as a Foreign Language. My sister is deaf, so it was good to know.

Otebon's laughter only increased in force. "Alright Casanova," he said when he was able to breath again. "Just remember that we need some sleep before tonight." Otebon picked up and went to go sit outside on a concrete block he'd seen earlier (giving the couple some "privacy") and ate his meat. He tried not to think about what his meat had been at one point and that seemed to help it go down.

As you wish kind sir.