The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Write a Paragraph, push the story  (Read 13057 times)

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • When god closes a door, I plant a breaching charge
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: African Painted Dog
  • Coloring: Black, red and white.
  • Height: Standing: short. Sitting: Slightly... taller?
  • Weight: 97.000000000000017 Kg
  • Build: Medium build, muscular.
  • Currently: Working on the sweetest sciences
Re: Write a Paragraph, push the story
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2012, 02:54:14 AM »
"Mr. Sullivan sent me to seek you. If you were not being brought to him, what would have been the purpose?" Smiths thick voice cut through the monotany of the rotors "The compound is just shy of those mountains, we should be there momentarily. I see you've noticed the new scenery." Marcus was silent now, suspiciously so. The whole cabin had a feeling of unease, as if no man trusted the other. The soft thudding of the rotors continued.
  • Avatar by: Myself, during an experiment with inversion.
"Science isn't about being conservative with your cash, it's about spending as much as you can as ridiculously as you can and hoping it doesn't explode."
- Sjin

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
-Aoren Rekner Ilon Deringer, F.D.F. Mechanised Unit Commander, Four Stars.

Life is an adventure! Sure, you'll probably spend most of it weeping uncontrollably, and on fire, but hey!

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Bibliophilic Philosopher
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • How can you expect to win if you don't play?
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and white.
  • Height: 6' 4''
  • Weight: 180 lbs
  • Build: Lithe and strong
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: No longer a member
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2012, 04:24:54 AM »
"Yeah," Otebon said, a new iron in his tone (he was no longer enjoying the ruffian game this half-breed was playing). "And 'Mr. Sullivan' loves to play games. I can't tell you how many times he and I would be in the lab and I would find that my test-tubes had been replaced with a notice of kidnap where all the words were cut out of magazines and newspapers. Mark doesn't do anything without a plan, especially if it's a plan that will give him great enjoyment." Otebon took a deep breath. I really hope I'm right... Otherwise this will look really stupid. "Mark loves to gamble with the greatest of stakes. But what he loves more than playing the game, is seeing people's reaction to learning his game. Isn't that right Mark?" Otebon spoke towards the cockpit for the last time. And behind curtain number 1...
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2012, 07:27:05 PM »
No response came from the cockpit. The halfblood looked at Otebon with open amusement "Mr. Sullivan does not have the prerequisite skills to pilot an aircraft. He is back at the compound working on research into these matters of souls and rumors of souls." Smiths riddle angered Otebon "What do you mean? Who is flying this thing? Why spea-" Otebon's rant was cut short by the rattly little UH1 entering a steep decent in a thouroughly unnatural motion. The wolfish man grinned and then laughed openly "Strap in boys, for nobody is flying this thing!" The sounds of men yelling was audible from beneath the descending UH-1. Over the clamor Otebon could discern from the Bedlam a man yelling "Zat's back! Go tell Mark, quickly! I'll bring them to him!" Zat..? The thought was cut short by the curt response of the mutt "And remember, we did not speak. It was not my place to tell you of these things, such realms belong to Mr. Sullivan." And with that, the chopped landed.

Hehe, Mark's your construct, I'll let you introduce him :P I always wanted to modify a retro helicopter into a UAV, but as that's not likely... :P
"Science isn't about being conservative with your cash, it's about spending as much as you can as ridiculously as you can and hoping it doesn't explode."
- Sjin

Life is an adventure! Sure, you'll probably spend most of it weeping uncontrollably, and on fire, but hey!

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2012, 12:05:29 AM »

I'm so sorry Aoren... I couldn't do it in one paragraph. It would kill me as an author to write these paragraphs as one. Please forgive me. As it seems to be just you and me, feel free to retaliate in kind.

You said you wanted me to intro the character, but it was just too far for me to write.

I'm really sorry. Please don't ban me! :'( 

A bit more used to rough landings than Marcus was, Otebon was the second out of his harness; "Smith" being the first. Otebon helped Marcus out of his harness before turning to the now horrified looking Tammo and Sarah. He whispered to them quietly, telling them that it will be alright and nothing will happen to them. He told them that they needed to stay close and pay attention. They needed to tell Uncle Marcus and Otebon everything they saw and heard when they were asked about it. They needed to be quiet and calm. Not that Mark would do anything to the little ones, Otebon through as he climbed out of the helicopter with Sarah in his hands. I don't trust this "Smith" yet though... and what about this "soul" matter...

"Smith" began to lead them to a small, scrawny little man that (from his waving and fidgetting) wanted them to follow him into the compound built into the pseudo-mountain, but the doors behind the man flew open to let a very large, boistrous man out into the courtyard the helicopter had landed in. "Well, well, well," the man said as he strode confidently towards Otebon, immediately embracing him in a bear hug. "Look what the cat dragged in? By Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, how the Hell are you Otebon? You still doing the whole battlefield Medic thing or did some two-bit Lab company buy you out eh?"

Otebon had to hold his breath as Mark tried to break his ribs in the strongest hug he'd ever felt. Though Mark was 100% human, he was one of the strongest people Otebon knew, and he'd known some pretty beefy Marines that were Bulls, Horses, and even a Reptile or two. "Hello Mark," Otebon said once he could breath. "What in the world do you think you're doing here with these people?"
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2012, 08:54:18 PM »
Heyhey, I don't mind xD It was Daemons rule. And now I'm going to break it, too. Most of my posts were like 3 paragraphs I trimmed down. Cut the fat, as they say... Although some I may have made too lean yet :/ Anywho I digress.
And why would I ban you? xD Never harm a coauthor. It's like my literary Hippocratic oath.

Marcus led them down through a series of chambers carved into the rock, with children staring from various crevices hewn into the sides. The whole compound seemed as if it were built in a hurry. It took a while before Otebon realised that Smith was missing. "Mark, whe-" He began, but Mark cut him off "To my dining room." No sooner than he said that they took a corner and found themselves before two large doors. With apparent ease Mark opened them to reveal a large lightless room, centered by a thick wooden table.

"Sit, sit!" Mark laughed as he called to a woman in a corner, ordering food for the entire group. "I apologise for the rude atmosphere, Mark apologised. "But now I'm sure you have questions. Well, ask away!" He stared expectantly at Marcus, who appeared lost in thought, but it was Otebon who spoke up "Mark... What the hell is going on here?" Mark paused, furrowing his brow before answering "Well, after I... Liberated my good friend and faithful servant, we got to work studying the research being done at the Black Peak military research center. It did not take long before we realised that they were going to make a move if any remarkable incidents should occur. Disasters and the like. Well, when word broke out of a code leak we figured it would be wise to shack up away from society and monitor Black Peak. We have a second outpost on the north face of what the boys call mount hell, about a hundred kilometers to the west, that overlooks the installation."

Otebon nodded, thinking. "Who is this faithful servant?" Again there was a pause, the conversation stopped completely until plates of rice and peas, with what looked like Minced MRE's, were placed before them. "I am not surprised you could not gt him to speak. He does not usually like humans." Mark looked at Marcus as he said this "I am a rare exception myself. Our very own Zat Mikhailov. Ex-spetznas special technology and psychological warfare division. Very secretive. But his skills come in handy, which is why I sent him after you. Although we should all be relieved he didn't just... Incapacitate you all, and bring you here in chains." Otebon suddenly felt validated for his mistrust. The Russian did not trust them. "He mentioned souls."

A flash of amazement flashed through Marks face. "I was not prepared for this... No... Not at all." Mark stared at his plate, before continuing "Friends, this is a subject for another time. Zat will need to be there... Yes, we shall talk tomorrow, in my study. It is secure there." Mark looked entirely nervous, but then his shoulders relaxed "Yes, tomorrow. For now, do you have any other questions?"

Heh, but perhaps we shouldn't keep breaking the rules XD This is what one of my paragraphs normally looks like before editing, actually o.o
- Sjin

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2012, 09:51:17 PM »
I agree... back to single paragraphs. It's nice to know that someone else is feeling hobbled though.  ^_^
Also, interesting dining location. A lightless room.

With apparent ease Mark opened them to reveal a large lightless room, centered by a thick wooden table.

Is that an error or was it lightless and the lights were turned on later? Also, so sorry, but we've gotten so dark in the last few paragraphs. I'm in a good mood and want some comic relief! :P
--- --- ---

The sense of unease in the room was thick enough Mark felt as though it could be cut with a knife. The adults were all staring at their plates as though something terrible had happened, but little Tammo and Sarah were completely unaware of that. They kept glancing at each other before looking up at Marcus. With him being unhelpful and staring off into space, the little ones looked over to Otebon. They knew he wasn't going to answer their questions just yet. Although he kept eating, it was mechanical. His left hand lay on the table, fingers flying across the wood, almost like he was typing in numbers to a calculator. Tammo had seen that a million times and it had taken him throwing a ball at Otebon's back to grab his attention and make him play catch with Sarah and him. So Tammo's eyes returned to his meal, which he was picking with a fork, before meeting Sarah's. "This is icky," he tried to whisper, but in the silent room his voice carried farther than he had planned.

Offline Daemon

• Handsome Horse
  • OVER 9000 HOURS IN PAINT.NET
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: polar bear
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 6'8"
  • Weight: 220lbs
  • Build: muscular, chubby
  • Currently: Grammar Nazi
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2012, 12:10:50 PM »
Marcus' ensuing laughter broke the silent pall that had laid over the unconventional dinner party guests. He looked over to the side, at Tammo, who smiled a bit, and Sarah, whose cheeks were puffed out in prevention of laughter. After a moment, he heard a slight chuckle to his side, as Otebon had started in. Mark, across the table, looked at them quizzically. "Is there a reason you are acting like a bumbling baboon, Marcus?" He said with a slight smile. Marcus cracked up again, knowing the man was trying to end the gloomy atmosphere. After a moment more, both Otebon and Marcus stopped. "Alright, we got the bad news, and the giggles out. I think it's time we sent the kids away, for safety." Marcus said. Mark laughed. "Oh, no no no! Much too late for that, my dear sirs!"

Sorry if I didn't portray your character, Mark, properly. I felt it was necessary to have a response to Tammo's little complaint.

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2012, 04:22:20 PM »
Don't worry about it man. All the characters that I introduce I'm building very lightly for exactly that. I fully expect either you or Aoren to walk in and add their own flair to ALL characters.

Otebon's hand, which had not ceased it's data-entry-like movements even during his laughter, suddenly froze. "Why can't they leave Mark?" Otebon's face got hard and suspicious. "I'll be honest with you, the original plan was to take the kids up to your ranch in the hopes that you and your staff would care for them in such a remote location while Marcus and I kil-" Otebon saw Marcus motioning towards Tammo next to him. "Do what is necessary. But why can we not leave?" Mark smiled at Otebon's remark. "Because it has already begun," he said with his trademark cryptic air.

Have fun with that and feel free to do as you please. Will remind everyone that Tammo and Sarah are in the room, the NSD was used repeatedly within flying range of this stronghold, and we have a lot of ex-military guys floating around.

Have fun!

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »
"What do you mean?" Marcus was again looking uneasy. "This location, and the outpost, are the only safe locations left. By now the area surrounding us will be filled with heavy weapons and soldiers of the make we'll be talking about later. I'm expecting word of it any minute now... So, suffice to say, nobody is leaving." Mark's words dropped like bricks in the room. More bad news... Otebon thought glummly. Silence ensued save for the clattering of forks on plates.

Bwuahaha I like the darker sides of things but the comedic relief was great, Otebon :P And I meant more along the lines of "dim" not pitch :P
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:28:56 PM by Aoren Deringer »
- Sjin

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2012, 07:20:37 PM »
We'll assume that last line was meant to be OOC? It wasn't yellow when you posted it.

A small whine was heard in the room and Marcus tenderly dropped a hand on Tammo's shoulder. They may have been children, but they understood the concept of a trap. They must be terrified, Marcus thought as he tried to comfort Tammo. Poor kids... they're not here by choice and are stuck in a strange place with stranger people. Hell, I don't even want to be here. Marcus looked over at Otebon and allowed grimace to wash over his face. Otebon may be sitting just a few feet away, still shoveling the mediocre excuse for a meal in his mouth, but his eyes showed he was a million miles away. He's planning something, but what?

Once more, have fun. I originally planned Otebon was planned as chemist (like me!) but he's into all fields of medical science and theoretic science. Hint hint.

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2012, 09:32:29 PM »
Bwuahahaha, prove it :P And the way I see it two things can happen from here: Either everything goes horribly wrong and they are betrayed (which would be utterly confusing), OR they all end up looking like asses. I think we need to decide before really continuing...
As I can't think of anything to write and only have a few seconds to post I'm just writing to cause a break and allow you to post again, Otebon (as you did earlier). Hmm, I seem to have obtained a complete disregard for the rules! Soon I shall repent.
- Sjin

Offline Daemon

• Handsome Horse
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2012, 12:20:23 AM »
NO! Rules are meant to be obeyed! >:1

Otebon's fingers ceased tapping, as he took in his surroundings. Nonchalantly glancing around with a bored expression. He knew they had to move the kids out, but had no idea how. Mark smiled. "Don't bother trying to find a way out, I have this place air locked. Besides, I said they couldn't leave, nothing about not keeping them safe. All you need to do, is infiltrate a military stronghold where they hold Darcy." Marcus' eyes widened, and Otebon gaped. "You mean the hydrogen bomb?" He said incredulously. Mark sighed dramatically. "No, I mean the soon-to-be senior prom queen Darcy Smith. Of course I mean the h-bomb!" Marcus glared at him. "And why do you need this?" "None of your concern." Mark waved him away. After a moments pause, he checked his watch. "And I think it's time for the young ones to scurry off to bed! And the adults as well. I expect you both up bright and early to go on a short camping trip." And with that, he stood, a hiss and vapor issuing from the sliding door. As it closed behind him, he winked, saying "Your rooms are at the end of the hall. Night!"

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2012, 12:48:14 AM »
But a paragraph is so short!!! For example, it's hard to determine who's speaking in your paragraph as the dialogue is not separated out... as per the rules of grammar in the English language...

"Come on kids," Marcus said with a forced smile as he stood from the table and moved towards the door. He had to tab Otebon on the shoulder to follow as well. The two of them walked through the door (which quickly closed behind them with a pneumatic hiss) and down a long hall with doors on either side. Marcus was struck by how much it reminded him of the dormitories he'd stay'd in during the good ol' college days. He let Tammo and Sarah run ahead as he tapped Otebon on the shoulder and whispered into his Lupine ear. "What's on your mind? You haven't said a thing since Mark said that 'it has begun."

I REFUSE TO WRITE OTEBON'S PLAN! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Unless you avoid again... and then I'll write it.

Offline Daemon

• Handsome Horse
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2012, 11:14:58 AM »
Otebon glanced at Marcus, and shook his head. Marcus glanced around, frustrated. "Alright, you don't need to tell me." Marcus walked forward, regoining the children. "Come on, guys. It's time to go to bed." Tammo whined. "We aren't tired!" He said, just as Sarah yawned. Marcus laughed. They turned a corner, and were out of sight. Otebon sighed, and frowned. "I'm sorry, Marcus. I have to do this more myself."

/end chapter
now you can write as though a chapter just ended.

It is now a 2 paragraph max.  Stop complaining! :P

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2012, 03:17:40 PM »
Yay! More Paragraphs!!!

“Alright Ote,” Marcus said as he followed the kids into the last room on the left. “Do what you need to do, but don’t be stupid, alright? The last thing we need right now is to antagonize Mark.” Marcus shrugged. “I don’t know where you found that guy, but he seems genuine.  Dramatic to be sure, but genuine.”

Otebon laughed quietly, already preparing himself for what he was planning. “I’ll try to be careful Marcus, and don’t worry about Mark. He was a Biochemical Engineer, but always wanted to play The Phantom of the Opera. Don’t wait up for me,” he said as he turned down the hall and began to walk silently on the pads of his paws.  He had a lot of work to get done tonight and getting caught doing it would not be conducive to his research. He had to smile as he turned a corner with the utmost caution, already far away from Marcus. This reminded him just too much of when he had been a Corpsman for some SEALs… Time to see what I can see around here…

Please ignore this post.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:55:07 PM by Otebon »