The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: We should do something!  (Read 1374 times)

Offline PAWesome

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Maroon fur, with one black stripe.
  • Build: Athletic
We should do something!
« on: March 04, 2012, 02:14:48 AM »
OK. The main stereotype of furries is that they are creepy, weird and like to do gross things to animals. We should tell people that furries don't do those things. That is the main reason that furries are hated on. And I hate to admit this, but before I became a furry I thought that furries had those characteristics. So....yeah, I had to get that rant off my chest.  :|

Offline Vine Tabris

• Chatty Cheetah
  • [hisses]
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Demon
  • Currently: visiting graveyards
Re: We should do something!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 02:42:35 AM »
Nope, not gonna change.
I don't really understand why people feel the need to be widely accepted as a furry anyway.
The way I see it, it's not a genetic or birth disorder, it's an interest or hobby, so I don't feel the need to be accepted for it since lots of people have different interests, and we don't have to all like or agree on the same thing to get along.
I don't even feel the need to tell people unless I know that they're into it or ask about it.
I mean, sure, if someone wants to know about it I'd set them straight, but otherwise I don't see the reason to bring it up.
That's just me, I don't get it.

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 02:43:36 AM »
Unfortunately, some furries DO do those things.
What they need to be told is that it's a very, very, very small percentage of furries.

But...people like to listen to stereotypes instead of figuring out the truth.

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline Rasui

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • I can not thinks of anything to fit in here!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Angelic/Demon Wolf/Dragon
  • Coloring: light Brown, with bit of golden streaks
  • Height: 5'4"
  • Weight: 130lb
  • Build: Average build
  • Currently: Happy New Year!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 03:09:09 AM »
It would be nice to get at least some info out the to those that, think other of us.
But i more less agree with Vee and vine.
We do not need those out side this interest to accept us, as every one here is family to each other in some way or form.
I'm still knew all to this as well, but have seen and heard the stories as people do not like this hobby. It's Sadding really.
But again its on interest and beliefs.
And even if we did start to do something as Vee mention there are those that do do that. and even if we can right some of
those to accept us there are some who will not change no matter what. And unfortunately that is an large number to our own.

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

For Character Description please PM me

Offline Luke White-Heart

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • !DREIW EB
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Vampyric Wolf-lion
  • Coloring: Pure white with blue streaks on the chest and back.
  • Height: 6'10"
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Thin, but strong.
  • Currently: Meh.....been better. But in love. ^^
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 03:10:03 AM »
Unfortunatly, it even applies to people who've heard the truth. I've explained it numerous times, yet they still adhere to thier preconceptions. >:(
  • Avatar by: Ventus Fall (THANK YOUS!!! :3 )
"Normal" is a word for something that doesn't exisit. It was created by those who don't challenge the status quo, and don't aspire to greatness.
Happiness is the way the Universe rewards those who face the hardships in their lives head on, with determination in their hearts.
Love is what binds us all together, what keeps us sane, makes us insane, holds the world and Universe together.
In my mind, it doesn't matter where you are going, where you've been, where you are, nor even the journey you're on. What matters is that you keep moving, no matter where you're going, where you've been, and where you are. Just keep moving.
I am White-Heart, white because it is every colour put into one, my heart is of all colours!

Offline Rasui

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • I can not thinks of anything to fit in here!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Angelic/Demon Wolf/Dragon
  • Coloring: light Brown, with bit of golden streaks
  • Height: 5'4"
  • Weight: 130lb
  • Build: Average build
  • Currently: Happy New Year!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 03:12:40 AM »
Yeah.  :'(

For Character Description please PM me

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 09:46:15 AM »
would you not think their greatest perception of us comes from going to Google images and searching "furry" with safe search off?
i can imagine they would find some of it quite repulsive and lead on to being very judgmental of us on terms of what they see.

also you first learn about something from other people who often give the stereotypes first.
its a comedy fact that if you want to make fun of something (or at least get a general idea of something) you pull out the stereotypes.

yea, nothing is going to change any time soon. there will always be someone that hates you no matter what.

haters gonna hate, skaters gonna skate, and potatoes gonna potate
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline MiltoniusPrime

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
  • Species: Bat/snake hybrid.
  • Coloring: Mostly skin, occasionally tan fur.
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 155 lbs.
  • Build: Thin but athletic.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 09:53:07 AM »
Don't take it so personally.  In any large chunk of a population, you're going to have all sorts of undesirables.  Rapists, murderers, pedophiles.  A small percentage of people in your city being criminals doesn't mean you should worry people think the same about you.  Most negative stereotypes about furries can apply to "normal" people as well, but most of them don't wear ears and tails to advertise an interest.

One of the reasons the furry fandom gets this kind of possibly-negative attention is because of how accepting it is of peoples' differences.  Nobody wants to feel like a hypocrite for putting down what others enjoy, because most people have some strange interest they'd rather not be criticized for.  The two sides exist mostly parallel to each other -- the ones who insist the fandom can be seen in a family-friendly light, and the ones who are perfectly happy to have sex oozing from every pore.

tl;dr Don't worry so much about it.  You shouldn't feel personally ashamed of what they say unless you actually do those things, and feel guilty.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 10:34:03 AM »
The only thing you can really do is evaluate furries aren't weird and creepy is to show people YOU are not weird or creepy. :P
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline PAWesome

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 12:58:28 PM »
 T_T  OK then.

Offline Dirtcopter77

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
We should do something!
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 12:01:12 AM »
It's just a case of rule #32 really. Every community has a percentage that feel a different sort of connection to it, some communities just have larger percentages than others. Just be polite and kind and people will like you regardless of your interests.
Furry Code: FDL3adrw A++++ H-- M- R+++ T++ W Sm RLCT* a- cn++++ d+++ e++ f-- h- i++ j--- p+++ sm-

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 04:55:13 PM »
best thing to do is just grin and bear it. no?

Offline PAWesome

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 09:19:02 PM »
OK...no one else really needs to comment on this anymore since people told me.

Offline Daemon

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • OVER 9000 HOURS IN PAINT.NET
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: polar bear
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 6'8"
  • Weight: 220lbs
  • Build: muscular, chubby
  • Currently: Grammar Nazi
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 01:35:53 AM »
OK. The main stereotype of furries is that they are creepy, weird and like to do gross things to animals. We should tell people that furries don't do those things. That is the main reason that furries are hated on. And I hate to admit this, but before I became a furry I thought that furries had those characteristics. So....yeah, I had to get that rant off my chest.  :|

AHAHAHAHAHA oh, wow. We've tried to do this, and I have given up. let people think what they want, you can't argue with stupidity.

Offline Luke White-Heart

• Gregarious Gnu
  • !DREIW EB
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Vampyric Wolf-lion
  • Coloring: Pure white with blue streaks on the chest and back.
  • Height: 6'10"
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Thin, but strong.
  • Currently: Meh.....been better. But in love. ^^
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 02:30:36 AM »
So sadly true.  :/
  • Avatar by: Ventus Fall (THANK YOUS!!! :3 )
"Normal" is a word for something that doesn't exisit. It was created by those who don't challenge the status quo, and don't aspire to greatness.
Happiness is the way the Universe rewards those who face the hardships in their lives head on, with determination in their hearts.
Love is what binds us all together, what keeps us sane, makes us insane, holds the world and Universe together.
In my mind, it doesn't matter where you are going, where you've been, where you are, nor even the journey you're on. What matters is that you keep moving, no matter where you're going, where you've been, and where you are. Just keep moving.
I am White-Heart, white because it is every colour put into one, my heart is of all colours!