The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Are you looking forward to Windows 8?  (Read 2771 times)

Offline Kamoku

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I smell like feet.
    • DeviantArt
    • Kamoku's Google+ Page
    • Awards
  • Species: Gooey Balloon Red Fox
  • Coloring: Orange: body, Brown: tip of ears/paw pads, Orangeish White: tip of tail/belly/bottom of snout/inside ears, Yellow: eyes, Black: pupil/nose
  • Height: 4ft
  • Weight: 10lb
  • Build: Slim
  • Reference: [link]
Are you looking forward to Windows 8?
« on: April 21, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »
Are you looking forward to Windows 8?
What do you like/dislike about it?
Do you think it's aimed a bit too much towards tablets/touch screen computers to be used on the desktop with a mouse and keyboard?

The only thing I'm looking forward to in Windows 8 is the ability to play Xbox360 games, and currently that's just a rumour.

I like the start menu and all the tiles, and overall I generally like Windows 8; however, I dislike how the start menu button has been removed from the desktop (although it doesn't really matter too much as it's easier to just press the Windows key on the keyboard).

Windows 8 is obviously aimed more towards tablet/touch screen computers, but it works just fine with the mouse and keyboard.

What do you think?
  • Signature art by: Me

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
Re: Are you looking forward to Windows 8?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 05:40:18 PM »
i like how they're using new ideas instead of working on the same ones
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 04:39:07 PM »
Well, if windows 8 is like any other operating system it will be,

First Week: "It's a bad operating system, doesn't work, 7 is better"
Fourth Week: "Ok, it's alright, but not that great"
third month: "It's standard"
24 month: "Windows 9 is a bad operating system, doesn't work, 8 is better"

XD But yeah, I guess I am, but 7 works pretty well :P
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 05:11:21 PM »
I will be doing what I always do when a new version of Windows comes out. I'll be sticking with the version I'm happy with until a bunch of other people have used the new one and can tell me if it's actually good or not. :P I avoid the worst of them that way.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Buddywolf

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online
  • Otterly Delicious!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Currently: I am going back to places I once visited frequently! For a short time :D
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 07:37:40 PM »
Not really. I am satisfied with windows 7. Chances are, I will upgrade to windows 8 anyway but in general, I am not excited about it so I am not looking forward to it.
Yeeeah! flyin through space and time!

Offline Lorcain

• Vibrating Furby
  • For the evulz
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat (Savannah)
  • Build: Scrawny
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:54:31 PM »
I'm not looking forward to it >.<

It looks like a mobile phone on your desktop. Personally I prefer the older, more technical versions.

I heard you have to log in using your Windows Live account.....and I hate any windows product with the word "Live" in it :(

[Oh no! Skyrim is GFWL!.......Don't worry, it's just GFW, there's no live. Phew!]

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 07:59:02 PM »
Well here's my opinions about Windows 8:

I for one always enjoys updates and new things. However for Windows 8.. I think the whole metro style launcher with it's tablet optimizations is lacking usability with the good ol' mouse and keyboard whereas the start menu from previous windows versions are more straight forward in my opinion.

I can imagine the metro UI working out very well with a touch screen, but for a regular PC I don't feel it working out very well the way integrated two different UI's for the same OS. I'd much rather see the option having only either the desktop style with the classic start menu or the metro style depending on what you are running it on rather than replacing the start menu with the metro UI.

Another thing is the lock screen.. I haven't done too much digging into any of these things I've mentioned, but is there an option to disable the (on desktop) click-and-drag-to-unlock thing and immediately being asked to enter your password, like previous versions did?

Summary:
From my experience, I think Win 8 has some neat additions in terms of features. But I also think the touchscreen optimization ruins some straight forwardness. I honestly think integrating the mobile and desktop platform in a single OS does more bad than good.

*Note: most of my experiences are with the developer preview.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 12:07:18 AM »
I depend on having multiple windows up and being able to customize their size to multitask. I need to be able to see more than one window at the same time, without using another monitor. As long as that's an option, I'd be fine.

However, I like my W7 as it is. I can customize the look and settings to some extent, it's easy to use and I see no reason to upgrade any time soon.

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 03:05:35 AM »
I actually tried it out a few weeks ago, from the Consumer Review version... I'm not too impressed. Maybe for a Tablet, which I'll hopefully be getting one, I'd be a lot more pleased
But as a desktop solution, it seems more like a visual and UI update then anything. It runs programs a *wee* bit faster, but not enough that it makes much difference.

Not to mention, the fact that the main screen isn't the desktop, and that you have to navigate back to it often, is very much a turn off. Especially since I have yet to find a simple way to organize the "Main menu" screen. And, I was having issue synchronizing my Windows Live account to it, which also made a lot of apps either not work, or just have no point.

If they release it with some sort of way to have a "Desktop optimized" UI, then that'd be great. But really, this seems to be only a good choice for Tablets/Tablet Computers.

Offline Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf-Tiger
  • Coloring: Black and Silver
  • Height: 6'11
  • Weight: 182 lbs.
  • Build: Fit and muscular.
  • Currently: Sore back. Sore feet. Sore everything.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 03:24:06 AM »
Windows 8 really isn't anything special. It's just that those bastards at Microsoft are pulling another "vista" blunder. They're pre-releasing it because the public is bitching and moaning about getting something different from 7, like they did from X.P. It's just going to be another money generator for those of us who do OS tear downs. As for an enhancement UI, no one's going to be able to see that working for them unless they buy a 330 series Intel SSD, because that part of the programming was supposed to work side-by-side with the programming on that new one.

Offline Kamoku

• Avid Aardvark
  • I smell like feet.
    • DeviantArt
    • Kamoku's Google+ Page
    • Awards
  • Species: Gooey Balloon Red Fox
  • Coloring: Orange: body, Brown: tip of ears/paw pads, Orangeish White: tip of tail/belly/bottom of snout/inside ears, Yellow: eyes, Black: pupil/nose
  • Height: 4ft
  • Weight: 10lb
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 04:45:43 AM »
I'm not looking forward to it >.<

It looks like a mobile phone on your desktop. Personally I prefer the older, more technical versions.

I heard you have to log in using your Windows Live account.....and I hate any windows product with the word "Live" in it :(

[Oh no! Skyrim is GFWL!.......Don't worry, it's just GFW, there's no live. Phew!]

You don't have to use a Windows Live account, you can make a local user instead.
  • Signature art by: Me

Offline Lorcain

• Vibrating Furby
  • For the evulz
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat (Savannah)
  • Build: Scrawny
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »

You don't have to use a Windows Live account, you can make a local user instead.

Ah. The article was a bit vague.
I actually tried it out a few weeks ago, from the Consumer Review version... I'm not too impressed. Maybe for a Tablet, which.... ]

Yeah, It's definatly for tablets, in fact it might be great for tablets, just not laptops or desktops. We have a keyboard, microsoft! 128 keys!

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 10:14:47 PM »
...I have been using the consumer preview since the day it came out....

By any chance, did you do a fresh install or an Upgrade from an older Windows?