The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: I'm having writers block  (Read 989 times)

Offline Kytaari

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Catfolk
  • Coloring: Gray
  • Height: 6'0
  • Weight: 165
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: Feeling really creative
I'm having writers block
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:30:45 AM »
I was working fine a few days ago, but now something about my stories don't click. I think I need to collaborate or RP with somebody in my own setting to get the details I need to move my stories forward.

I've tried writing short fiction before, but I keep turning the ideas into novels. I don't know how to write a short story.

If you have any advice, please let me know. I usually write interactive fiction, which are kind of like visual novels, but right now I'm open to writing anything, so long as it gets my creativity flowing again. The problem is, like I've said, nothing's pumping out. I'm stuck, and I think I need a little help. Any advice or perhaps a collaboration might be useful. I hope this is the right subforum for this.

Offline Sne

• Boisterous Bear
  • I reject my humanity and substitute a fox!
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Scarlet Mane's Diary
    • Awards
  • Species: arctic fox
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 28 cm
  • Weight: 4 kg
  • Build: feral
  • Currently: dead
Re: I'm having writers block
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 12:34:50 PM »
I think it highly depends on the genres of your stories, the kind of problems that make you think something is wrong, level of collaboration you expect etc.

I write only shorts mostly because I don't like to make unnecessary descriptions of something that can be and should be imagined, but I think I'm good at spotting and filling plot holes and such, so maybe I could help.

Offline Kytaari

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 12:44:48 PM »
Well I've been writing this interactive novel, but lately the script hasn't been succeeding. Maybe it will work better if I write it as a traditional novel instead. It's a mix of science-fiction and fantasy, and it has some furry elements in it. The story has a very big mystery vibe to it. I think if I try writing it as a novel I shouldn't have too many problems. I'll keep this thread up though just in case I encounter any more struggles with this.

I was thinking about collaborating with someone for a story in my setting. I think the experience would be fine, but I would rather use a fresh idea. It's a really huge world with a lot of eras and stuff. I'll keep the offer open  in case you or anyone else is interested, and I'll give details although I'd prefer talking in PM.

Thanks for your advice. If I have any plot hole problems I'll respond on this thread, but right now I think I should try writing it as a novel and see if I can finish it.

Offline Kytaari

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 01:41:56 PM »
Never mind, I'm gonna keep writing it as an interactive novel. It would be nice if I had some help with this though, because I don't entirely know what I'm doing. I have to discover the gaps as I go. Like I've already mentioned, I'll keep this thread open just in case I have any further problems with this. Right now my problem is exposition and writing rooms and stuff.