The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Furry Q & A!!  (Read 2758 times)

Offline umbra21

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: fox bat
Furry Q & A!!
« on: May 02, 2012, 01:50:27 AM »
Hey everyone :] I'm an artist going to school at UCSC and right now I am in a studio called "Picturing Identity." For my current project, I am supposed to make a work of art that investigates a specific group of people and I've chosen Furries:]

If you wouldn't mind helping me out by answering some questions, It'd be greatly appreciated.

*****PLEASE KNOW THAT YOU CAN CHOOSE TO NOT ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU MIGHT NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH*****

Thank you :]
Umbra<3

1. What is your name? What is your age? Where are you from? What is your fursona? What aspects of your identity would you relate to being a Furry, specifically that animal?

2. Do you feel that you take on a separate identity as a Furry, or is it simply an extension of your everyday identity?

3. Who are you outside of being a Furry? (ie job, lifestyle, family...)

4. How do you feel about how the public sees you? How do you feel when in public as a Furry? What experiences have you had with the public? (stories?)

5. How much of your time is devoted to this other identity? (ie time spent costume-making, conventions, forums, etc)

6. Are you a part of a larger community? Do you feel like this is a united community? Are there subgroups that the public may not see? Do the same prejudices and stereotypes that exist in the larger public community (ie race, gender) affect the community you identify with?

7. What are your opinions and feelings about the connotations associated with the word “Furry”? Do you feel they are positive, negative, or both, and how does this influence your identity with this community? If you are confronted with these stereotypes in everyday life, how do you deal with them?

8. How do friends and family feel about this identity? Do they know or is this an aspect of your lifestyle that is private? Do both sides of your identity converge at any point, or are they separate? (ie friends, hobbies)????
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:00:00 AM by WingedZephyr, Reason: cleaned up post formatting to make post legible »

Offline soutthpaw

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
Re: Furry Q & A!!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:45:53 AM »
Question 1 u may want to investigate Therian, totem animals and otherkin.   Strong identification with a specific animal and feeling personality traits linked to a totem animal is really therian.   Which I am probably more therian but also furry.    Seems most furries choose a character on appearance
Too sleepy and on my tablet to answer all ye questions now butbit may help your research

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 03:25:13 PM »
1. What is your name? What is your age? Where are you from? What is your fursona? What aspects of your identity would you relate to being a Furry, specifically that animal?
I am 21 and from Norway. My fursona is the one you can see to the left; Puncia the Twilight Leopard. It is a snow leopard that I've modified and added elements to, like the red panda ears and longer fangs. In real life I am a typical cat person. I don't enjoy the company of dogs but adore cats for their intelligence, etc. (you know the deal). I've always been told, even by random strangers and completely out of context, that I remind them of a cat. The way I show excitement, how I enjoy physical attention, the way I smile, focus or stretch... though honestly, I don't try to act like one. In my perspective I act like a normal young adult person and I act the exact same way at work as I do with friends. I do however understand the similarities and adding that to how I love feline creatures, the choice is quite obvious. Puncia is a snow leopard, and I share a few physical traits with them as well as aspects of my behaviour. I also love snow and winter more than any other season, and playing in the snow is bliss.
Here is a link to a detailed description.

2. Do you feel that you take on a separate identity as a Furry, or is it simply an extension of your everyday identity?
To me, being a furry is like any other hobby. I have an interest in the furry fandom in the same way I have an interest in say, Star Trek, RPG's or comics. I don't feel like I am part animal or that Puncia is my soul incarnate. Puncia is my mask, my persona that I use within the fandom. Puncia is me and I am my real life self while being active in the fandom.

See #2.

4. How do you feel about how the public sees you? How do you feel when in public as a Furry? What experiences have you had with the public? (stories?)
I am mildly annoyed that there is so much prejudice towards the fandom and that the fandom itself (mostly thanks to its members, I say) is so hyped up for no reason. Since I am the same inside and outside the furry fandom, I do not act differently as a furry and thus have no reason to be afraid of what people will think in public. I repeat: it's just a hobby to me.
Spoiler for Hidden:
I tend to only have close/good friends that are intelligent, mature and open people. I don't mean they're all stoners or bisexuals or have unique styles, but they would let someone educated on the subject speak before assuming anything. The reason is simply that those are the kind of people I share interests with and enjoy being with.

Only one of my friends have ever spoken negatively of the furdom, and he simply asked in a bi-sentence "Isn't that sorta like a fetish thing?" and I explained it in 2 sentences and that was the end of the conversation.

5. How much of your time is devoted to this other identity? (ie time spent costume-making, conventions, forums, etc)
I spend anything between 30 minutes to a few hours every day being active at FA (furry equivalent to dA) and this forum.

6. Are you a part of a larger community? Do you feel like this is a united community? Are there subgroups that the public may not see? Do the same prejudices and stereotypes that exist in the larger public community (ie race, gender) affect the community you identify with?
No, I am not a part of any community per sé, if you don't count the furdom itself as a whole. I would say that the furdom is rather united and there is a lot of "fur pride" and such going around. I suppose different fetishes or geographical groups could count as communities as well, but extremely loosely. The furdom is generally a very open minded collection of people, and I've never seen any racism, homophobia or anything else at all.

7. What are your opinions and feelings about the connotations associated with the word “Furry”? Do you feel they are positive, negative, or both, and how does this influence your identity with this community? If you are confronted with these stereotypes in everyday life, how do you deal with them?
Inside the community? Positive. Naturally. In public? Could be better, though it's getting better by the day. It won't be long before most people are cool with the whole thing, as long as furries themselves manage to keep it cool as well and not make a big thing out of it. I usually deal with ignorance in the same way I wrote earlier in the spoiler.

8. How do friends and family feel about this identity? Do they know or is this an aspect of your lifestyle that is private? Do both sides of your identity converge at any point, or are they separate? (ie friends, hobbies)????
Friends and family do not know that I am a furry. Why? Because I have no reason to tell them. I'm not hiding it, but I don't walk around exclaiming to everyone that "Mom, Dad; I have something I need to tell you - I like Star Trek.". It's unnecessary and only hypes the furdom up more than it needs to. Some friends know I am a furry, but only because I've shown them artworks I've commissioned or mentioned in a conversation that I'm a mod in a furry forum. I only bring it up when it actually fits. There's no reason to make it a big deal.

On a side note, I'd love to see the finished result, should you ever actually come back to read the replies you get. Most people outside the fandom that ask these questions, do not.

Offline umbra21

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 03:41:40 PM »
You guys are awesome!!!thank you so much for replying and of course you can see the finished result!! i can send you pictures once I have them if you'd like :]

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 09:25:51 PM »
I am Mr Knight, I am 18, born in London, raised in Scotland and matured in South Africa.
My fursona is a fox, It's impossible to look at me and say "he is a furry" though I do feel that you can look at what a fox symbolises and find that it describes me.

My fursona is a furry representation of myself. I am as much him as he is me.

I'm a normal person outside of the fandom.
I go to school and aspire to study 3D animation.
I have many friends who are all very precious to me.

Nothing yet and I don't care what they would/will think of me.

I'm still new to the fandom though I plan to devote a decent sized partition of my life to the fandom.
I just need to get through this year first.

The largest community I am part of currently is TFF, though I am part of a local forum which I should probably be more devoted to.
It is upsetting the amount of negativity the fandom has produced around it's self, fair to say that we are our own worst enemy, however that is simply due to our diversity. Here race, gender and sexual preference does not matter. The fandom branches out to people of all interests, faiths and cultures. What the fandom is doing is saying "go do whatever you want and we'll back you up". I'd say that we are all pretty united, despite the fact that there is no official hub where we all centralised.

I'm probably lucky enough to live where no one knows what a furry is considering the negative aspects behind being a furry.
I don't really care about what people do in their spare time, keep to your business and I'll keep to mine. The same applies to the fandom.

I am the same person on both sides of the coin. One side I have my real world friends and issues and on the other I have my internet friends and issues. Currently the two do not converge and each side does not know the existence of the other except from what I let through to the other side.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline umbra21

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 08:43:05 AM »
Thank you!!! ^_______________________^ you guys are sooooo great

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 01:46:19 PM »
You seem like you have your data, but it's always good to add more :3

Oliver Nordon, 17, Sydney Australia, Beige fox (Anoni), I like animals and love affection, but there's a certain aspect of the furries. Fur adds, for me, a style of perfection, leaving out imperfection such as dimples by covering it in a layer of smooth fur. Fur is warm and soft as well, this means that if your a furry you can hug and physically interact with each other better. As for the fox specific, foxes are like the night as I do and they are often cunning which I like to think I am too.

I do not, I feel that my fursona is simple a representation of my self in furry form

I am currently studying in my last year of high school, I love science, philosophy and mathematics. I have a passion for mathematics and programming, I am currently the leader of an internet clan with over 400 active members (non-furry based). I am gay, have many friends, have a pretty average family, my dad is a storage manager at Westpac (Australia's first bank) and my mum currently owns her own national business for scientific recruitment. I have no job, I used play piano, I write poetry and stories in my spare time, I am an active gamer and movie watcher. I am not a fan of large parties and get togethers, I have many friends both online and in real life. I spend a lot of time on the computer or doing computer related things. I have a dog and a cat. Not exactly sure what else I should say, the question is very vague haha.

The publics view on furries is generally negative, but the negativity is not due to hatred but due to simple ignorance, ignorance that can be fixed easily. I believe simple education is the best way we have on getting the public on our side, alas, there will always be people who see negative sides of the furry fandom, who will refuse to listen and for those people I feel sorry that they miss such a wonderful group of people, simply because of their cultural preferences. As I do not own any kind of furry "merchandise" I have not necessarily been in the public as a furry, so I can't answer how I would feel in public as a furry, I assume nervous at first but eventually proud. I have told one person in public for being a furry, but this person I trust, that was my only experience and it was a very postiive one (he is now a furry too).

I am online on this forum most time I am on the computer, I consider myself an active fur. That said though, I haven't necessarily contributed anything furry specific to my life, though I am thinking of getting a collar.

I am part of several internet communities. The two most prominant ones are my clan (and thus the clan world) and this forum. The clan world is not a united community, the general public is often unaware of the fantastic realm of internet clans, alliances between clans do occur from time to time, even clan merges, but generally the clan community is one of intense competitiveness as each clan strives to gain the largest memberbase, this can lead to wars, but luckily my clan has only been involved in three wars, two lost, one won. In this clan community, there are many subgroups, but I would say generally there are 3. Members, which are simply the people who don't care about clan politics and simply play the games that we offer and make new friends, diplomats, the people like me, who are very involved in clan political agendas striving for peace and prosperity between all clans, and warlords, the people like a certain person named "Viros" who are ready for conquest at the expense of all clan but there own, they will attempt to fight anyone who stands in their way and their ideals. Yes, I do believe being a furry would affect my clan relations, as for that reason, I keep me being a furry a secret from my clan. As for the furry fandom, most people have it covered, however I would say that the furry fandom is a rather accepting bunch, but who dislikes anyone who would give the fandom a "bad name" in the eyes of the public. I think there is a dislike to furry stereotypes in this fandom.

As stated before in this post, I think there is a general negativity from the word furry that is due to ignorance and misunderstanding. I, personally, do not care if someone is a stereotype of the furry fandom, I believe in equality and a certain rule I follow is "You do what ever makes you happy as long as that does not reasonably detroment the happiness of someone else". If people like doing what stereotypical furries are said to do, let them, as long as they don't harm anyone in doing so.

I generally keep the furry fandom seperate from most of my life style, however I have told a total of two people offline about me being a furry and a total 3 people online (not part of the furry fandom) of me being a furry. Telling people is not too much of a concern for me, I just don't see the need to tell anyone yet. So I would say this aspect of my lifestyle is private.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline [Sov]

• Your Local Neurotic Hyena
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • One more word and you wont survive.
    • Awards
  • Species: Striped Hyena
  • Coloring: Chocolate brown stripes, sandy colored fur
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 150lbs
  • Build: Curvy~
  • Currently: Neurotic!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 04:36:40 PM »

Let's see, my name is Jovi, I'm 24, and I'm from Maryland. My 'sona is a friesian mare. Friesians are just so majestic and they've always been my favorite breed, so if I had to be a specific breed of horse then a friesian would be it.

I think it's a mix of both, honestly, most of my irl friends don't know that I'm a furry but some do. Those who do know, know it as an extension of my everyday life, and those who don't know...simply, don't know.

I'm a full time student, studying to become a neurologist. I'm a lesbian activist, and I have a lovely mate who I've sucked into the fandom.

I've only been in public as a furry at anime conventions so far. So it doesn't count, really.

A LOT. That's about as much as I can say.

Yes I am, I socialize with more than just the furs on TFF now, many on FA, and even more on Twitter. We're definitely a united community, but just drama. Omg drama. I identify as lesbian though, so it's two fold. I've been spit on as a lesbian, so far haven't been spit on as a furry.

I don't care, I think it's a cute term. I hate that there are negative connotations associated with the word furry, but most people, I've learned, have no idea what a furry even is.

Friends who know are like "lol well duh" because it's pretty obvious once you start to notice it.
I am closed for commissions. See my furaffinity for pricing.

I’m taking it slow
Feeding my flame
Shuffling the cards of your game
And just in time
In the right place
Suddenly I will play my ace

Wanna find me in other places?

FurAffinity::Twitter

Offline Jyynx

• Eager Elephant
  • Wolfmode (ON) OFF
    • Produce electronic and mixtapes, been DJing for about a year and half: my site below.
    • Awards
  • Species: Italian Wolf
  • Coloring: Gray
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: About 190
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Gone Riding
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 04:16:23 AM »
1. (I'll put fursona and my original name) Moby Da'Altitora da'Roy is my name er was... I'm currently on the east coast of America though I use to live in Ontario, I'm 15 and my fursona is a Gray Wolf- I chose a wolf as it was an old nickname before I ever was a furry- I was a severe loner when I was younger and kids called me the "lone wolf" for it

2. Seperate identity- uh no I guess its more of my "happy identity" basically my self when I'm feeling good or my way to feel good but either way it's the same

3.outside of my furry life I'm a "enhanced specialist culinary chef" meaning someone thought I had talent do I'm already thrown in college thanx to my "gift".  I'm also a starting electronic musician and a now outgoing person

4. My feelings toward the public are really that their misinformed.  Those that arnt sure what a furry is or have it wrong isn't their fault- its how media portrays us.  In public w/ my collar I feel really relaxed- it was awkward at first, yeah, but it tends to be really good conversation starter, and there really arnt too many people concerned either... At least not yet...  But no rude public experiences for me

5.  Not enough time- I wish I could sit and forum all day but life is busy- but not a day goes by without me thinking how happy I am to be a furry ;)

6. I'm unfortunately not part of a furry community, and don't know any furs personally- that tends to bother me though but yet through the forums we really are a community united, yes stereotypes are everywhere and it really has hurt the furry community as a whole it's one of those things you wish it dosnt exist

7.  Stereotypes are indeed just bad.  I'm not sure how else to stress that, other than its a way for people to hate us for being who we are- but one really should fret over the unchangable... When I get faced with something like those I attempt to correct the person and nothing more- haters gotta hate, ya know?

8. As much as I regret it, my family is unaware- they know of my collar but not that I'm a furry- some close friends know, but a couple untrusted "aquantences" are beginning to catch on- and I know it'll be an upcoming problem but nonetheless life will take Its course :)

Offline Midnight Madness

• Lucifer 2.0 (Doggo Edition)
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • Absolutely adorable.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lycanroc
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 175 lbs.
  • Build: Very well toned, intimidating despite his average height.
  • Currently: Guess who.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 02:31:30 AM »

-My name is Nicholas, I am eighteen years old and I am a born and raised Washingtonian; having been to all corners of this beautiful (albeit often dreary) state. I have a whole slew of 'sonas (my scaly versions being called scalesonas), and they range from a generic dragon, to a mechanically revived supercroc anthro forged into the ultimate weapon and soldier. But my primary, and absolute closest to me, is Sytex Xiuhcoatl. He is the dragon depicted in my avatar, and he is not only a character to represent me, but one I feel such a deep kinship with that I could easily consider him tangible. (More info on him here, click this text.)

-Honestly, I have asked many of my fellow furries if they think a mammal would fit me, and they all have said no. When I ask why, I don't get much other than "I just don't see a fox or a wolf or anything of the sort befitting you." My girlfriend (a fellow scaly) has pretty much said the same thing as well. But through some manner of analysis, I have discerned that it is my manner that describes a reptile. When it is cooler, I tend to be much more lethargic and slow (not in the head, but in body) and my overall energy is extremely low, but once the sun comes out and warms the Earth around me I perk up immediately and my energy levels peak.  Honestly, there were some other details, but I cannot recall them at this moment in time. But in any case, I have a serious affinity for reptiles regardless.

-It really depends on the manner in which my 'sonas are being shown. If it is within my prose and poetry, I would consider them more or less a separate identity (with strong connections to me, however). But in most cases, I just consider them all an extension of myself in some way or another (Sytex and Renu (Renu being my secondary scalesona, a cross between an Epanterias and Tyrannotitan) encompassing the majority of my traits). So I would have to claim the latter is more fitting to me, I feel that my scalesonas are all just an extension of myself.

-I'm a High School Junior (some setbacks four years prior) with a keen aptitude and interest in theatrics (acting and the like), literature (both composing it and reading it). My other general interests are practically all art related; Music, drawing and painting, video games, and film, with a similarly strong interest in biology, philosophy, physics, theoretical things and the space related sciences. I am in a divorced family, living with my Grandparents while my mother holds my three first siblings, a half-brother living with my dad's ex-girlfriend, and my Father working in North Dakota (in Ukraine currently, for sake of getting remarried). I stay close to home, oftentimes, and don't go out way too frequently, but not horribly infrequently either. And pardon if I mention my girlfriend a lot, but she just influences my life a lot and makes me feel alive.

-My literary tastes fall specifically into Fantasy and Science Fiction, with a tiny bit of military and realistic fiction. Musically, I love Rock (primarily Metal) and electronica (industrial, dance, trance and industrial metal). Video games, I play Pokemon, Fallout, Skyrim, Grand Theft Auto, Halo, Legend of Zelda, Starfox, Super Smash Brothers, Dead Space, Mario Kart, Metroid and some others. I love locations with lots of water, and reasonably high temperatures (60-100 F), and love forests. I have a little dog, a five year old Boston Terrier-Chihuahua cross, and he is a great friend. I live with my loving Grandmother and harsh-but-caring Grandfather, and have many friends in and out of school. I am a natural "big brother" after helping raise my three younger siblings, so I always look out for people and help them out.

-To be blunt, I couldn't care less if society hates or forsakes me for what I am interested in. As Anoni said, it's fine so long as you offer no detriment to those around you; and if others aren't willing to see things that way, so be it. I have no hold over their actions, but I'm not about to be anything less than stoic. Some people ask, sometimes I just state it, but I'd feel guilty to be arrogant or pressing about it. So I remain neutral to society's opinions (until it hurts someone, anyways).

-Well, I don't wear collars or tails or anything of the sort, not even at home. I don't own any, in the first place. So nobody really knows until they ask, or a friend gossips about it. I'm just like every other High Schooler, in all reality, just a completely benevolent one.

-It's a daily thing, I check this forum pretty much every hour and watch things or hop on the IRC and chat. And outside of that, I watch a few artists on FurAffinity and keep tabs on their work, and on DeviantArt as well (my dear girlfriend being one of those artists <3). And I am always RPing something furry with friends involved or my girlfriend. I'd say a good eighty percent of my time is likely devoted to something fandom related.

-I am also dying to attend a convention of some sort involving the fandom, I have watched videos and such and the events are fantastic; with amazing artists and interesting folks, and many interesting proceedings. And I would also like a fursuit (or scalesuit in my case XD), particularly one that has some features that make it more than just a piece of fabric looking like my 'sona, a moving mouth would be phenomenal.

-The largest furry community I am involved in has to be this very forum, a place with people that welcomed me with open arms and made me feel right at home as if I were a lost family member. And the largest unrelated community I involve myself in a lot would be DeviantArt, because I do a lot of writing and art critiquing (though I have been so inactive, I need to revive myself).

-Like most of the others here, I have to say a lot of the connotation with the term is negative, but I also see a ton of neutrality, but negativity runs rampant. This fact does not influence my identity with the community either, everyone has their opinions. I'm not hurting anyone or myself, so it's not something bad. I think just how widespread and harsh the negative opinion is can be described as asininity and hypocrisy; everyone now is trying to endorse "equality" and "understanding," and then a good lot of the fandom is demonized?  I find these negative views to be bullying, and nothing better.

-The furry fandom is generally full of really kind and understanding people, plenty of artists and writers, along with musicians, and practically any other occupation, even. We have some furry cops and soldiers, here on The Furry Forums! This fandom is huge, although young, and it encompasses all shades and manners of people.

-My family does know to some minor extent, and they are fine with it. And my friends are completely passive to the idea, though I do get some passive jokes made, nobody actually bashes my interest. Like I said, if someone asks, I answer honestly without arrogance.

-Yes, both sides of my identity constantly converge. My Xbox Live Gamertag is Sytex Xuihcoatl, as is my name on dA and a few other locations, I like to talk about my 'sonas with those interested (because all of them are characters in some kind of tale), and I always have some picture of Sytex or my 'sona stored on my phone (the pictures make awesome backgrounds). So on and so forth, my fandom involvement is a huge part of my life despite how passive I seem about it to many others.

Offline JoJoJoshua

• Boisterous Bear
  • GamingFurever.com
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Gaming Furever
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Orange, Blue, and White fur
  • Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 175
  • Build: Athletic and Lean
  • Currently: Enjoying Summer
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 08:27:39 PM »

I'm Joshua, 22 years old, from Montgomery, Alabama. My fursona is a fox with the same colors as my college, Auburn University. I love being around others, playing and having a good time, and being curious. I think foxes do all those things. ^_^

I feel it's an extension of my everday identity. I pretty much act like I believe my furry self would. I don't hide my love for animals and interest in how friggin cool it would be to be like one.

I work for the Audio/Visual production company Daktronics, which operates all the big video boards at Auburn University sports events. I go to college in the Fall and Spring. I cherish the bond to my family, close and extended, that I have.

I don't really think about how the public views me, but I also don't go out of my way to make a big scene. I'll wear a tail around others who are doing the same or in a place where it's appropriate, and have a jolly good time doing so. Part of the enjoyment is being in public, so I feel a slight sense of excitement and apprehension. I don't have a bunch of stories, but a lot of people ask if I'm a mascot or something. In fact, most don't say anything.

Probably about 20% of my free time. All the other time is spent sleeping, eating, gaming, hanging, and schooling.

I believe I'm part of the large community that is "furry." I think it's united to the point where we tend to understand groups like species and interests universally. Traits associated with the species someone chooses as their main fursona tend to be parallel with others who choose the same animal. This is the type of subgroup the public may not see or understand. There are also, of course, subgroups dedicated to other, more prurient matters that the public tends to see. They are there, and denying them is just being blind. Race and gender tend to not affect the furry community, but sexual orientation does in usually the opposite way of the larger public community.

I think there is an overall negative opinion, but a more positive opinion is on the rise. I think in the beginning, and still to this day, there is a constant association with bestiality when people say furry. It was even the first question my parents asked me when I told them about being furry. On the upswing though, is a more common opinion that furries are just harmless people with a unique interest in anthropomorphic characters. I deal with the more negative opinions by being the best and most open person I can be, and once people get to know me, they know that I'm not defined by those stereotypes, and neither should other furries.

Very few of my friends that aren't furry know about this aspect of my life. All of my close family knows. Everyone that I have told finds it quite interesting. Some come into it with preconceived notions of what a usual "furry' is, but, since they know me, they are usually less apprehensive about hearing about it. It eventually becomes a fun topic and one that they can joke on me about in a fun manner. My family was very okay with it once I assured them that I was mature in the decisions I was making, and they were happy that I was still pursuing healthy friendships and accepting things about myself. They encourage my going to cons and even have helped me commission a fursuit.

---

There ya go! Hope these answers help!
"Life is a party, don't just stand by the punchbowl." ~JFH

Xbox Live
| PS3 | Steam | Twitter | Gaming Furever

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 09:06:43 PM »
My name's Nic, more specifically Nic Jancek. I'm 19, form Cambridge, New York. I'm a German Shepherd, of course! I've been told that I'm very much a Shepherd in terms of how loyal, and playful I am >>

To be fair, I don't even see my furry self as an "another" me. Half the time I don't even think like "Furry Mode, engaged!" when I get with other furs in conversation or anything. I guess it's just become such common sense that I don't really establish a difference.

Same as I am inside being a furry =X. Always looking for fun, enjoying long conversations, have almost no real family to speak of and I'm a major geekoid.

I've never been out as a "furry" in terms of cons, walks, fursuits, etc. To be fair, if I do get involved with anything like that, I wouldn't so much worry about how the public feels about it. I'm just a person expressing something I enjoy >>

About as much time with anything else. Like I said, I don't really think to separate "myself" and my "furself."

To be honest, I'd consider the "furry" community as the one I'm a part of, and the subgroups would be forums, smaller websites, etc. What I have here is a lot different than what I've got going on FA, and that's different than what I've got on Furry4Life, and that's different than SoFurry, etc etc. And, I'd like to think the stereotypes fall across the board.

Negativity. Just the other day, I was talking to someone about "furry." He said "I know if it, but I don't like the fetish." When I asked him to explain, he said he thought "furry" meant all the people that dress up and bang in costumes. When I tried steering him toward the right direction, he just figured I was defending it. In all honesty, as much negativity as there is about the fandom, there's even more people that are either neutral about it or just don't really care. And I've never personally had any problems with anyone about me being a furry, so really I'll just let those people think what they want. I'm sure there's something they like I don't, and I probably think wrong about it.

Only one of my friends know, simply because he found out about me being pansexual, and about my at-that-time mate. So I essentially gave him all the info he needed. Other than that, none of my other friends know. Mainly because they simply don't need to. I don't do much of anything that associates myself to the fandom, and I don't go parading around about it. In fact, I think that really everything but my friends are similar in both sides. And there's a big gap between the friends that are and aren't furry.