The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Mac or P.C.  (Read 6295 times)

Offline Rinny

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Omnomnom
    • Awards
  • Species: Red panda
  • Coloring: Red/brown/white
  • Height: 5'4"
  • Weight: 105lbs
  • Build: slim
  • Currently: Has le cookie!
Re: Mac or PC...
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 09:08:38 PM »
I have a PC at home and am personally a slave of microsoft (PC, Xbox, Zune, Windows phone..not all on purpose though) The one reason why I didn't go with mac is really because of my funds. At work we use a Mac because it can run a really great program that keeps our stock in check, has all items in the system and has a great connection with the register. Mac is GREAT for professional use. If you're just using it for casual internet, applications, gaming then stick with a PC.

If you're into graphic design, music, video, or in a professional business I agree that the price is worth it and saves a lot of headaches that PC could cause.

So personally? PC
Professionally? Mac

Offline sebflynn

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf
  • Coloring: black
  • Height: round 6ft
  • Weight: 8st
  • Build: very slim slightly muscular
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 09:34:40 PM »
rinny is absolutely correct in terms of funds my family is fairly wealthy so higher middle class and we would struggle to afford a new mac i also have a brother he is a fairly high rank ict tech i have never seen him use a actual mac for any thing. also this seems to be a very one sided chat. 0.o
im new here to being furry s im sorry if i say something stupid or don't get the jargon.

Offline Rinny

• Boisterous Bear
  • Omnomnom
    • Awards
  • Species: Red panda
  • Coloring: Red/brown/white
  • Weight: 105lbs
  • Currently: Has le cookie!
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 09:57:23 PM »
Aw why one sided, sebflynn? :c I think this is all just personal experience.

Offline sebflynn

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf
  • Coloring: black
  • Height: round 6ft
  • Weight: 8st
  • Build: very slim slightly muscular
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 10:56:42 PM »
every one here seems to be pro pc
im new here to being furry s im sorry if i say something stupid or don't get the jargon.

Offline Rasui

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • I can not thinks of anything to fit in here!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Angelic/Demon Wolf/Dragon
  • Coloring: light Brown, with bit of golden streaks
  • Weight: 130lb
  • Build: Average build
  • Currently: Happy New Year!
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 11:02:34 PM »
I am a PC. But i have used a MAc Before. As well i have used few linux and Unix systems.
But to keep it on the Mac and PC conversation.
Mac's even though are starting to get more user fiendily are still designed for the power used end of computing. Sure PC can do the same thing even the right parts and the money to get them.
For PC's which are vary.. and i shall stretch vary out. Is a user friendly. PC's are jsut there to give less headach for every one out there. I mean there ppl out there that have not touched a computer and some who really should not XD

Either way i like both rather one better over the other is vary long arugment that should never be started XD

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

For Character Description please PM me

Offline Bayzan

• Jovial Jaguar
  • Grab the day... By the THROAT!
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • The Germolf's Den
    • Awards
  • Species: Lycanized German shepherd fox thing
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 145 Lbs
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: Arty! X3
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 01:10:27 AM »
Now another question. Which one is more affordable?
Follow me down the path
I will walk beside you
Guiding and showing you the way
I will not leave you
I will be standing on the path watching you
If you ever feel alone
Close your eyes
You will see six sets of foot prints
Two belonging to you, four to me
Then you will know that I have not left you
I will be there to guide you, whenever you need.

My Legendary Drawings XD : http://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=22765.new#new
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/bayzan/

Offline Rasui

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • I can not thinks of anything to fit in here!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Angelic/Demon Wolf/Dragon
  • Coloring: light Brown, with bit of golden streaks
  • Weight: 130lb
  • Build: Average build
  • Currently: Happy New Year!
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 01:20:40 AM »
It would depend on how much you want to spend, or what you can afford.
I look at it this way.
Mac you can not upgrade the parts. Well you can but the mac was not designed for it. As well does not take up much space.
PC. can take up bit more space, but in the long run you can upgrade it the performance.
Again it would have to depend on your spending budget

For Character Description please PM me

Offline Tails

• Foxy Fox
  • YAY I HAS A OWNER ^^
    • Fur Affinity
    • Youtube
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf / Dragonite (genes) and fox
  • Coloring: purple/ white and blue
  • Height: 175 CM
  • Weight: 100 KG
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Is trying to continue on his story
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 02:02:39 AM »
there round about the same now but when they first came im like nope

=  Chief Corpsman = ★★★ =

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 02:38:31 AM »

If you're talking about brand new - PC. Almost certainly, with only maybe a few exceptions.

Apple does offer refurbished Macs for a fraction of the price that are like-new though, if you'd really like a Mac instead but can't afford the brand-new price.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 03:38:54 AM »
To be fair you can build an amazing yet cheap PC these days, that'll do anything you need it to.

Offline Kamoku

• Avid Aardvark
  • I smell like feet.
    • DeviantArt
    • Kamoku's Google+ Page
    • Awards
  • Species: Gooey Balloon Red Fox
  • Coloring: Orange: body, Brown: tip of ears/paw pads, Orangeish White: tip of tail/belly/bottom of snout/inside ears, Yellow: eyes, Black: pupil/nose
  • Height: 4ft
  • Weight: 10lb
  • Build: Slim
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 09:11:27 AM »
PC is the cheapest and the best.  And if you really wanted to and knew how, you could run OS X on a PC outside of a virtual machine (I've managed to get as far as a kernal panic upon boot up but still, it ran).

PC does NOT equal Windows however (as PC stands for Personal Computer).

If you need something that works with everything then go with Windows (but look out for viruses).  If you need something that's very stable, does not get viruses, is free, and works very will with what works on it but doesn't work with most of the things you're already used to, go with a Linux distro (Ubuntu is one of the most user friendly ones and is very stable).  As for OS X, OS X is really only good for multimedia applications.  However, OS X also does get viruses.  Not as much as Windows, but it still gets them (as for Linux there are currently no known current viruses, and if there were, a security patch would be put out very quickly (within a week)).  The thing about OS X, is that Apple updates all the software for it themselves (well, most of it; such as java) and because of this, security flaws in those programs don't get patched nearly as fast (which means after the flaw is known there's a lot of time for people to make viruses for it, before a patch is out or even being worked on).  For example, there was a patch for flash (I think) which was VERY important.  Apple never updated it and now thousands of Mac's are part of a botnet due to the delay in patching (not sure if they've patched it yet).

Anyways; you're best going with Windows as it's compatible with everything, but if you're worried about viruses and want a very stable system you should go with Linux.  If you're big on multimedia creation you should go with OS X (Windows can do multimedia but OS X is the best at it (or so I've heard)).  There aren't many multimedia programs out there for Linux however.

If you get used to the OS X terminal or Linux terminal you can use most of the commands on either system (as they use many of the same commands (or so I've heard)).
  • Signature art by: Me

Offline Kyriin

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 08:33:57 AM »
If you have a grand or two to throw away, buy a Mac.
Else, invest in a PC. Mine's got at least twice the power of my Mac and cost half the price.

If I said any more I'd be repeating what everyone else has already said. Mainly, it depends on your needs. It might help us give you the information you need, or suggestions, if you tell us what you need or plan to use the computer for. If it is just for web browsing, chat, etc. then you may want to take a look at some netbooks which are inexpensive and do the job if you don't heavily use a computer. There's no point in buying a $1,000 Facebook machine, is there?

There is nothing wrong with Apple, regardless of what people may say. The one thing to be considered is that their products are expensive due to the amount of detail they put into how it looks rather than its specifications. Ultimately, you're either paying for what you see and not what's inside. If you want to pay for what's inside, buy a PC.

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »
There is nothing wrong with Apple, regardless of what people may say.
Bit off topic, and not to start a different discussion, but honestly whilst I agree mostly, I do strongly dislike their ways of marketing as a company. In the smartphone market they are currently bullying others with extremely stupid "patents" asking to BAN the competitors they accouse...

Please stay on topic.
WingedZephyr
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:50:08 PM by WingedZephyr »
Proud to be a furry!

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Most Online Top 10 Topic Starter
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 10:34:43 AM »
Apple advertise that they are the best of the best and achieve this with their lower range of products, namely the ipod.
if we can buy an ipod and love it, we can buy an apple computer and love it too as it goes with the ipod.

Apple is just overpriced, but you know that you are going to get quality goods/service for that price.
PCs are priced how they are because they don't get warranties, they age particularly fast and if it breaks, you fix it or pay to get it fixed.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 03:27:09 PM »
Apple advertise that they are the best of the best and achieve this with their lower range of products, namely the ipod.
if we can buy an ipod and love it, we can buy an apple computer and love it too as it goes with the ipod.

Apple is just overpriced, but you know that you are going to get quality goods/service for that price.
PCs are priced how they are because they don't get warranties, they age particularly fast and if it breaks, you fix it or pay to get it fixed.
Whilst a generally agree, the latter not necessarily true; custom build PC's usually are equally priced or cheaper than premade ones and tends to be of higher quality. Of course you gotta put it together yourself (of find someone to do it for you) but you get warranty for each individual component rather than a universal warranty for the computer itself which only lasts 1-2 years. Some components such as graphics cards, several manufacturers offer up to LIFETIME warranty! And many brands in these markets are very serious about the quality and support. It is, as mentioned, rather a hassle if you are unfamiliar with it and don't know what you are doing but in the end you do get the good quality and all that you get from Apple.
Proud to be a furry!