The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Is there Furry Discrimation?  (Read 915 times)

Offline 19Norway

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
Is there Furry Discrimation?
« on: September 22, 2012, 01:47:29 AM »
 :) To the wonderful furry community that I love,
I was wondering if there is discrimination, ranking, of favoritism (the practice of giving preferential treatment to a person or persons) at conventions or fur meets? You see, I feel like my fursona is part bunny  :D and I don't want to miss out on any fun that I would have had if I was a dog or a wolf. If you don't have any idea what I am saying  -.- this is really my only source of favoritism/discrimination and furries:
http://youtu.be/zmwzLS9-1KA
(if the link doesn't work type into youtube "ranting gryphon discrimation" and it will be the first video listed on that screen)
What type of animal is your fursona, and do you witness anything I just said. If all of this is false, please do tell me and I'll go knock on wood for the rest of my life so that it never happens  X3
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 06:53:39 AM by WingedZephyr, Reason: Shortened link »
Year of 21

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
Re: Is there Furry Discrimation?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 01:51:05 AM »
I know plenty of people that prefer different species, but I wouldn't say there's any discrimination, per say.

Favoritism, of course it'd go to the "popufurs" or anyone of the like, but again, it all depends on the person/people.

If there's anything to look for, it's stereotypes and not discrimination >3>

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 07:02:21 AM »
I haven't really seen much of this personally. Like Nic said, some people have preferences for different species depending on what they find more relatable, but I can't think of a time when someone actually bashed anyone else for being a certain species. And if someone does happen to say something like "Well, that's not really my thing," I do not think there's a need to take that personally.

I do sometimes get odd reactions from people when I tell them I'm a cat/dragon hybrid. It's a strange combination that would be impossible even if dragons were real, due to the whole mammal/reptile thing. But I put them together because I wanted to, and most people don't blink an eye at it. Even including the people who respond in confusion, no one has ever come across as being offensive to me about my "unreal" species.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 02:06:02 PM »
As far as I know, it's the same thing about furries as everything else on the Internet:

-There are popfurs, or popular people that everyone love and adore for whatever reason, going so far as to be biased about them.
-The tight knitted groups or people that feel a sense of community because they share something. Like wolves forming a "pack" at a convention and sticking together just because they're of the same species.
-And, of course, the more unusual/original/special, the better. Many people strive to be special or stick out from the crowd, mixing strange species, claiming to be of this and that sexuality, etc.

And then there are the people that are against one or the other of the above.