The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Has someone manipulated you out of the fandom?  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Amethyst star

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I like cute and girly things
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: My main fursona is a bat and my other fursona is a Bunny and lion hybrid
  • Coloring: Main fursona has gray,white,magenta,neon blue the other has white,purple,light blue,and light purple
  • Height: 5'5aprox.
  • Weight: 105
  • Build: Skinny
  • Currently: In a good mood,I feel like doing anything right now!
Has someone manipulated you out of the fandom?
« on: April 20, 2013, 03:00:46 AM »
There was a period in the furry fandom when I was reading/seeing a lot of negative feedback on the furry fandom eventually it got to me and I started to get depressed and felt stupid being in the fandom thinking things like "ugh it's true fursuiters are all creepy people" or "ugh I hate it it feels like whenever I watch art I feel sepreated from people irl" but later on I thankfully  came to my senses and returned to being a furry and loving it I even told a few of my best friends (being quite shy or  rather sensitive when it comes to this sort of thing it took quite some courage) I never expected them to react the way they did they accept it and never had a problem with it ever since and now I even get excited when the word "furry" appears and I'm glad to have been loyal to the fandom! so anyways do any ofyou have a similar story to this? :)
Looking for other  furries to befriend :) Also I make cute art and I obviously love anything cute so if you have any cute pics then send them!

Offline ArcticSkyWolf

• Foxy Fox
  • ArticSkyWolf is here to be awesome!
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue almost everywhere
  • Build: strong and awesome
  • Currently: Gaming some gamez
Re: Has someone manipulated you out of the fandom?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 03:17:36 AM »
I rarely talk to people about it, I was always open minded and I did read a lot off the Internet.

Entering this fandom also made me even more open minded towards more things  :D

Offline Fox_720B

• Avid Aardvark
  • Ate too many blueberrries
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Blue Fox
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 05:43:56 PM »
Oddly enough, I see a lot of people trashing other furs on the Fur Affinity Forums. I see lots of new people join that place, get trashed all to hell, and then leave the fandom. I stay on there to kind of be a voice of reason, along with a handful of other tolerant furs that exist there.
The Aviation Fur

FDAF - Aviation Commander (Tactical)
We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

My fursonas: Experiment 720 - "Sky" | B.F.

Offline Rhoryc

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 09:54:52 PM »
Oddly enough, I see a lot of people trashing other furs on the Fur Affinity Forums. I see lots of new people join that place, get trashed all to hell, and then leave the fandom. I stay on there to kind of be a voice of reason, along with a handful of other tolerant furs that exist there.

I know this may be a tad off-topic, but...

This forum here was the first place I began to interact with the furry community. My original plan was to join the FA forums, but after seeing the way new members were treated I turned here. I do not regret that decision at all. I don't know what it is with the FA community, but there are quite a few rude and prejudiced people there. You think within a community (furries) largely stereotyped and looked down upon by society, we'd be a bit friendlier toward one another. That's what I love about these forums; everyone is friendly and accepting toward each other.

---

Anyway, I had been interested in furries since I was pretty young. I thought anthro animals were really cool and whatnot. Unfortunately, I learned about the fandom itself through stereotypes and went along with it, believing furries to be creepy weirdos. It was only until I started looking into it myself that I realized that the stereotypes were wholly exaggerated. So I guess I was never manipulated out of the fandom since I was never in it at that point. It did keep me from getting involved in it though, which is pretty much the same concept.

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 04:18:16 PM »
When I discovered the fandom in 2010, I realised I could be a furry, but I was seriously in denial of it. It took me two years to eventually try it out. That's when I joined here. Since then I'd started understanding all the anti-furry things I'd seen beforehand and only then did I start looking into all the hate around the fandom. Now I have my own theories and pretty much I'm all happy to be considered a furry.

Few notes:
The hate around the fandom is long gone - Only furries hate furries now for some reason.
Other people either don't know what a furry is, or just think furries are weird.
Internet users generally feel that furries are all "look at me i'm a furry and special woof woof, etc" and dislike them for that only.

An example of what I didn't understand before
Spoiler for Hidden:
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline BakaFawkes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • It's not personal text if you can read it!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Dark Fulvous, Reddish hair
  • Height: My height (How tall am I anyway?)
  • Weight: Same as me (still unknown, maybe 160-ish)
  • Build: Average, but nimble, naturally fit.
  • Currently: Totally stressin'
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
I can't say completely out of for a time, but every so often I come across something very negative for (or by) furries. You all know that every group has its radicals, and those people can make it hard to want to be part of something. Don't get me wrong, I'll never let that ruin it for me, but it kind of strains the connections.
You don't have to be great to start, you only have to start to be great.

Offline Rexodus

• Avid Aardvark
  • I hear you munchin', I'm hungry.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Mainly Cream, Brown, Pink, and White.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 05:01:44 PM »
Well, I was someone who used to hate the fandom before I really knew what it was about - before I gave it a chance. The reason why? The Media.

Basically, I've been a furry since 2009, but only a few months ago I realized I was a furry. This is because of all the negativity towards furries. When I was that meer child back in '09, I was simply like: ''These people are crazy. They go round doing stuff with other furry's and that's just naaasty.'' because to be honest, that's really all that get's around about it, and not the great stuff about the fandom like the people and what not. Though I always kept my thoughts to myself about the fandom, due to not wanting to cause fights due to my biased way of looking at things.

I held this belief until a friend of mine, serib, told me about it and explained it a little more - then I realized that I was a furry.

It's as if I were an adult who watched the news, saw one thing about teenagers and  hated them because of that one thing. I judged by the minority and put it on the majority.

I was hating on my own family.

But now. Now that I have realized that I am a furry, I couldn't have been more wrong back then ^_^. I enjoy being a furry and I will not be afraid to say that I am a furry if anyone asks ^_^.
  • Avatar by: Apple on Chicken Smoothie, Coloured by me.
Hi, I'm Rexodus, and I'm a major Assassin's Creed Adict.

*everyone:* Hi Rexodus.

Offline Drakos

• Classy Draggy
  • Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Awesomely drawn by Kaprika (The lovely floof 8D)
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon Anthro
  • Coloring: Green
  • Height: 6'5''
  • Weight: 225
  • Build: Muscular
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Wondering why stuff is stuff.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 03:44:16 AM »
I've had moments where people IN the fandom have made me lose a ton of faith in humanity. However, I just tend not to associate with those kinds of people anymore and that way I'm able to just enjoy the fandom better for the good part of it :3.

Honestly, I probably don't take the fandom like "Super" serious, it's more or less just something I'm into, it's not really a lifestyle (Off topic I suppose a little, but I'm just making a point that nothing has ever really per say 'deterred' me from the fandom).
  • Avatar by: Kaprika (Zee awesome floof! 8D)
Outside on a winter's night as the rain begins to fall
There's a chill in the air and the howl of a wolf while the rain beats at the door
Seven kings will ride on the wind up towards        the mountains high                             
And the only sound that will break the air is the warrior's bitter cry

-Starfire by Dragonforce.

For those who know me I'm still kicking around here, enjoying life. For those who don't know me I do invite you to get to know me if you'd like :3.

(The song that the lyrics in my siggy come from :3).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=Wp68lrJEYHU

Offline werewolf

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf/fox (vixen)
  • Coloring: dark Grey
  • Height: 5"8
  • Weight: 135
  • Currently: listen to music.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »
Oddly enough, I see a lot of people trashing other furs on the Fur Affinity Forum . I see lots of new people join that place, get trashed all to hell, and then leave the fandom. I stay on there to kind of be a voice of reason, along with a handful of other tolerant furs that exist there.
for me that's why i gave up posting there. My Fur Affinity Forum name is chagen.

Offline NonstopFurry

• Avid Aardvark
  • Im very friendly and loyal to all
  • Species: Wolves and the occasional Dragon
  • Coloring: Blue/Purple
  • Height: 6' 3'
  • Weight: 175
  • Currently: Proud Owner!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 02:16:49 AM »
I have been a Furry for years and I have heard and seen many negative things about the fandom, but I am who I am and I love being a furry and haven't had doubts. And if I see/hear other people getting hated on somewhere else I stick up for them because it's who they are.
Death Has A Shadow

Strength isn't something that just happens. It is a spark inside of us that eventually grows into a fiery passion.

Message me anytime!

~~~~~Looking For Owner~~~~~

Offline Sparky15756

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
  • A Wolf Amongst 'Roos
    • Fur Affinity
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf and Lucario, no hybrid
  • Coloring: Wolf: Red 'n' Pink - Lucario: Red 'n' White (instead of Blue & Black)
  • Height: 5'' 7
  • Weight: 116lbs
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Pondering the future demise
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 01:01:55 PM »
Every cult/fandom/section of life has their own bad images but if you love the culture so much then leaving would be more of a loss to you than you'd think, my own opinion :P

I've seen enough of the fandom to hate it from the inside but I love the culture too much to completely hate it, there's so many different people who make the social interaction (online) more enjoyable.
With 955 characters for a signature, I can try make something funny or interesting but no, I'm just gonna sit here and type instead of going to work because breaking the fourth wall is more humour than trying to figure out how I'll get access to my other laptop; picking up my charger that I left at a friends house, around 40 miles away...

Good going Sparky, you did well. On the plus side, it's given you a chance to accidentally revisit some old stomping grounds and see what madness you can create during this seemingly temporarily return.

Offline Drakos

• Classy Draggy
  • Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Awesomely drawn by Kaprika (The lovely floof 8D)
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon Anthro
  • Coloring: Green
  • Height: 6'5''
  • Weight: 225
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Wondering why stuff is stuff.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 09:30:20 PM »
Every cult/fandom/section of life has their own bad images but if you love the culture so much then leaving would be more of a loss to you than you'd think, my own opinion :P

I've seen enough of the fandom to hate it from the inside but I love the culture too much to completely hate it, there's so many different people who make the social interaction (online) more enjoyable.

After reading this I could not agree more. It's true; no matter where in the world you go there will always be that small group of 'haters' whether it be in this fandom or any other sort of fandom or cult in real life or online. It's human nature for some people to be mean unfortunately, but it's everywhere. Generalizing that all people in the fandom are mean or bad is a silly thing to do really when you consider that. That's why I just try and enjoy the fandom for the really nice, fun people there are in it ^_^.
  • Avatar by: Kaprika (Zee awesome floof! 8D)
Outside on a winter's night as the rain begins to fall
There's a chill in the air and the howl of a wolf while the rain beats at the door
Seven kings will ride on the wind up towards        the mountains high                             
And the only sound that will break the air is the warrior's bitter cry

-Starfire by Dragonforce.

For those who know me I'm still kicking around here, enjoying life. For those who don't know me I do invite you to get to know me if you'd like :3.

(The song that the lyrics in my siggy come from :3).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=Wp68lrJEYHU

Offline Sirius

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolff
  • Coloring: Black/grey/blue
  • Height: 6'1
  • Weight: 220
  • Build: Heavyweight
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 04:35:08 AM »
Noone is ever gonna drive me away. I've learned that i should be proud of what/who i am and not care what others think. Caring about others opinions nearly ended my life.