The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Military  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Hinoko

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • "LETS FIGHTING LOVE!!!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Alaskan Malamute
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 205lbs
  • Build: Muscular, a bit husky :p
  • Currently: Lonely, worn out, stressed and bored.
The Military
« on: May 11, 2013, 03:48:32 PM »
So, I decided that I think I'm going to join the U.S. Army Airborne through ROTC as a Deisel Mechanic. Or maybe shoot for the Rangers. I dunno. Anyone else thinking about the armed service? Just a little curious  :3
"To love is nothing, to be loved is something. To love and be loved is everything..."

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
Re: The Military
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 04:03:31 PM »
Personal opinion: I would never join the army, no matter how they may coax you into joining.
But that's just me.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline ST-84 Sahelanthropus

• Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • BetrayerOfNihil
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Nanotech Robot
  • Height: Usually 7ft, up to 50ft
  • Currently: A weapon to surpass... well, everything.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 04:56:58 PM »
I think about it, but I'm pretty damn underweight. Six feet tall, almost twenty years old, and only a hundred and twenty pounds. Very little fat, but also very little muscle. :s I suppose there might be positions that don't require combat training, but I'm not sure. One thing I'm sure of, though, is that I'd need an actual education first.

Offline NovaAurora

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum.
  • May the FURS be with you!
    • Awards
  • Species: Mostly wolf, part dragon
  • Coloring: Dark and light gray, with black streaks and dark blue extremities.
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 200 lbs
  • Build: Long and lanky, muscular but not bulging.
  • Currently: PC gaming... FINALLY!!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 10:52:22 PM »
I could never do it. For one I'm just not fit enough to do anything worthwhile and I don't have the knowledge to do anything technical. But I can't follow orders, especially ones just blindly given to me, and I have no sense of patriotism at all. I don't even like my country in the first place, so there's no way I'd ever risk my life to protect it.

~*Airforce Fleet commander*~
We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Come raise your lantern to the sky
And let's illuminate this night
We'll dance like heathens
Around the flames
And while the world sleeps
WE ARE AWAKE!

Offline Hinoko

• Avid Aardvark
  • "LETS FIGHTING LOVE!!!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Alaskan Malamute
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 205lbs
  • Build: Muscular, a bit husky :p
  • Currently: Lonely, worn out, stressed and bored.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 01:36:54 AM »
Well put Nova, I mean. I'm an anarcist, and would be one of the first people shooting if revolt broke out. In central PA, we won't fall over easilly!
"To love is nothing, to be loved is something. To love and be loved is everything..."

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Most Online
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 08:25:38 AM »
Well I wouldn't join the infantry section of the army.

However, if I couldn't find a job I wouldn't mind being in the engineering section of the army, maybe managing all their computers and what not. You get quite a lot of benefits. Still that's only IF I can't find another job.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline TechRoo

• The furry Programmer
  • Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Your anthro programmer...
    • Homepage
    • Awards
  • Species: Kangaroo
  • Coloring: blue / green
  • Height: 6'3 / 1,91M
  • Weight: 154Lbs / 70Kg
  • Build: Sporty/bouncy
  • Currently: Oh no.... This IS my happy face.....
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »
Well, i was looking at joining the army as an army officer but the salary is substantially lower then working a civil job. T_T
Dont know how the pay is in the US.
-Trixsie Vixen "Chuck Norris called me Skippy once...  Once!"

Offline ST-84 Sahelanthropus

• Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • BetrayerOfNihil
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Nanotech Robot
  • Height: Usually 7ft, up to 50ft
  • Currently: A weapon to surpass... well, everything.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 02:13:08 PM »
Hah, "anarchy" up in here... >.>

Wish I could serve on a Battleship, but those have been retired since before I was born.

I took a tour of the U.S.S. Iowa about a month ago. Hard to believe something as tough and powerful as that can be considered "obsolete," although I do fully understand the reasons.

Offline Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf-Tiger
  • Coloring: Black and Silver
  • Height: 6'11
  • Weight: 182 lbs.
  • Build: Fit and muscular.
  • Currently: Sore back. Sore feet. Sore everything.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 03:18:06 PM »
I personally joined the Air Force. I had no interest in the Army. Besides, when I finished high school, I was scouted by the Marines and the Air Force. But I had no interest in becoming a bullet sponge. At the time, I wanted more to be a pilot. Even though I didn't get to become one due to wearing glasses, they still allowed me to become a mechanic. From what I heard from my ex, the Army is pretty loose, and the only tough part is Basic. However, I left as soon as my first term was over. I despise the structure and lifestyle, unfortunately. If you choose to go, make sure you think long and hard before you actually do. Once you're sworn in, you will be stuck.

NOTE FOR EVERYONE: No matter what you choose as your MO, even officer's training, you still have to go through Basic Training, which also means combat training.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 03:19:48 PM by Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy »

Offline BakaFawkes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • It's not personal text if you can read it!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Dark Fulvous, Reddish hair
  • Height: My height (How tall am I anyway?)
  • Weight: Same as me (still unknown, maybe 160-ish)
  • Build: Average, but nimble, naturally fit.
  • Currently: Totally stressin'
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 02:43:43 PM »
I'm 100% sure I'm going into the military, I just have one more year of school to go (I might do summer classes and go early though... :/ ). I was thinking Air Force myself, my grandfather is a Vietnam vet and talked me out of the Marines. I really wish I could find someone to go with me.
You don't have to be great to start, you only have to start to be great.

Offline Nobi

• Handsome Horse
  • Let's get rhetorical!
    • My tumblr!
    • Awards
  • Species: Ringtail/Cacomistle
  • Coloring: Standard ringtail coloration of sandy brown-dark brown body, white rings around my eyes, and black and white rings around my tail
  • Height: Roughly 5'6''
  • Weight: 127 lbs
  • Build: Slim and mildly athletic
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Back!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 07:20:43 PM »
I admit, I have mixed feelings about the military. One the one hand, I've seen examples of the kind of confidence and self-reliance one can get from the military. I would like to have the knowledge, skills, physical fitness, and self-confidence that military training can offer. One the other hand, though, I feel that the entire institution that is the armed forces is rife with propaganda. I've seen brochures that talk about all the benefits one can get from joining up, but then I look at the veterans out on the streets—homeless, mentally unstable, etc. I also don't like the idea of being such a puppet of the system, if you'll forgive my use of the cliché. I know that, as a citizen, I already technically work for the government in that I have a job, I pay taxes, I vote, and all that stuff. But if I were to join up, the level of control placed on me and my life would skyrocket. Yes, eventually I would be self-reliant and knowledgeable enough to take even better control of my life, but during that time that I would be serving, I would essentially be surrendering a large portion of my will to the armed forces.
Also, I feel that I'm just generally unfit for the military to begin with. I've been underweight all my life, I'm asthmatic, I have allergies, my vision is poor, I have the world's weakest bladder, I dehydrate easily, and I often experience anxiety and panic attacks. Plus, I have serious problems with authority. If somebody tells me to do something, I'll at the very least ask them why until I feel satisfied with their explanation. And even then, if I don't agree, I'm very reluctant to do it.

In spite of all this, I wouldn't say that I've completely ruled the military out as an option. Basically, it's my last resort. My very last resort. If my life goes to crap, I can't find a job/career, if I lose everything, then it's off to Basic I go. But not until those conditions are met—which I hope they never are.

Offline pawz9

• Boisterous Bear
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: White with black or brown markings
  • Height: 6'0
  • Weight: 270 lbs.
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: Never know how or when it’s going to end
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 02:55:09 AM »
I have thought about the military and am still undecided on the one hand I am in favor of the opportunity to get my life together and get purpose on the other hand I am terrified of the thought of deployment and getting killed in combat cause while I am good in combat scenarios ( long time of MILSIM ) it might not be enough plus the billet I'm looking at is army and my girlfriend is definitely going in the marines and I want to stick together with her. I have no problem with the structure or taking orders (i'm in MCJROTC)
nine out of ten voices want me to sleep the tenth is wondering if penguins have knees

Stealth operative

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 03:38:33 PM »
I have thought about the military and am still undecided on the one hand I am in favor of the opportunity to get my life together and get purpose on the other hand I am terrified of the thought of deployment and getting killed in combat cause while I am good in combat scenarios ( long time of MILSIM ) it might not be enough plus the billet I'm looking at is army and my girlfriend is definitely going in the marines and I want to stick together with her. I have no problem with the structure or taking orders (i'm in MCJROTC)

it's not for everyone, and just because you think you can take the structure and taking orders, it may not be what you think it is. as for deployment, if you're afraid, don't join. military life, especially if you're deployed, requires 120% commitment. any less and you'll get yourself and your fellow soldiers killed. you don't have to worry about trying to "match up" with your girlfriend if she's going into the Corps. if she really loves you, she'll stay with you, and when you two get married, you can live in military-provided housing. hopefully, she's not like my ex that left me for an Army career when I left the Air Force.

Offline CryWolf

• Avid Aardvark
  • Stand tall, stand strong, stand above it all.
    • Awards
  • Species: Grey Wolf
  • Coloring: Black- Dark grey- and white
  • Height: N/A
  • Weight: N/A
  • Build: Normal
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Fixing my SOEIV.
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 03:01:22 PM »
I have no interest in joining or enlistiing. I have some respect for those that serve with more honor. I don't agree with conflict. I may come across as a military person from my post but honestly I just like to imagine it, don't ask me to take a life cause I'll probably hightail it to the woods to let things sort themselves out.

I'm not retreating, just advancing in another direction.

"Feet first into the action... Feet first into the fire... Good luck."

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 10:27:48 PM »
I have no interest in joining or enlistiing. I have some respect for those that serve with more honor. I don't agree with conflict. I may come across as a military person from my post but honestly I just like to imagine it, don't ask me to take a life cause I'll probably hightail it to the woods to let things sort themselves out.

I'm not retreating, just advancing in another direction.

1) Military personnel are paid for their service, not their ideals. I never believed in the war, either, but little shit that means to the upper echelons.

2) Not every military personnel are deployed, or even fighting. I was never deployed because I was a mechanic, and I know plenty of guys who were engineers, drill instructors, R&D, etc. who have never once been called into action, and have served multiple years longer than I have.