The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Medical News! New Real-Fur Possibilities on Horizon (debate too)  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Jude Wolfshiem

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • http://nickciske.com/tools/binary.php Have fun!
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: brown light grey and red
  • Height: 5' 9''
  • Weight: 185
  • Build: curvy
Human-animal cloning is becoming reality! Cool! Well, except the huge moral dilemmas involved...Hmm, maybe not so cool. Maybe vatgrown genetically engineered human animal hybrid replacement parts would work. I know people have had lab-grown heart muscle and even ears...But this would have to be like growing just the parts you want, not a whole person and then killing them for parts. In other medical news, grow-it-yourself dental implants are in the works as replacement teeth, Stemcells from a removed human tooth, like a wisdom tooth, are grown on live pig jawbones, then implanted into the human jaw and the bone grows onto the human jaw resulting in brand new real teeth! Fangs, anyone?
"When you do a good deed, you're really serving your own needs, when you help others, you can't help helping yourself!"

"S-C-H-A-D-E-N-F-R-E-U-D-E!!!"

"No, I'll wear the purple shoes...Who painted the kitten?"

"I know, put my earmuffs on the cookie!"

Avenue Q

Thanks to my fellow cast and crew members of:
Once Upon A Mattress, Mame, Seussical, 42nd Street, Pizza A Love Story, Steak Night, Flowers for Algernon,  Stalag 17 and 45 Seconds from Broadway! I love you all!

ephemral

Re: Medical News! New Real-Fur Possibilities on Horizon (debate too)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 01:15:30 AM »
50 plus years maybe....Not that any of us will care for fangs by then even if we could afford it......

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Most Online Top 10 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 01:45:45 AM »
Sorry, I'm not exaclty up for fangs in real life because I had them due to something in my family. All males in my family line tend to get extra canine teeth in the corners of the mouth (front side only). As for fur, well... if you saw my arms, you'd see that I have quite a bit of light-colored hair on my arms naturally.

Offline Locke Wolf

• Avid Aardvark
  • Chance a draw?
    • Mypace? o.-
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf(Formerly Vampiric)
  • Coloring: Dark grey and black
  • Height: 6'3''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: Lanky
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 04:36:17 AM »
It would cross more boundaries than almost anything else to date, but it would be interesting.

And, I go with ephemral, 50+ years, and that's assuming intense refinements make it workable.

Offline ¿ Jesse Pawman ?

• SILENCE! I BAN YOU!
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Top 100 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Poster
  • purrrrrrr...... here, have a cowlick :3
    • My blog.
    • Awards
  • Species: human
  • Height: six foot one inch
  • Build: round
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 05:48:11 AM »
I'm pretty hairy myself, and I have big canine like teeth. (i can also purr and growl and howl)

Robin Williams is already a furry. LOOK AT HIS ARMS! HE'S A BEAR!!!
MySpace

"when life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have the whole world wonder how you did it."- unknown

I HAVE TO CONSTANTLY REMIND MYSELF I'M A GROWNUP AND IT'S JUST THE INTERNET.

Offline Fisk

• Internet Addict
  • Dancing Dragon
  • Ramma Lamma Ding Dong
    • My Myspace
    • Awards
  • Species: Canid
  • Coloring: Varies depending on mood, usually red and faded to black.
  • Height: 6' 1''
  • Weight: 135
  • Build: Slender, Atheletic
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 05:56:22 AM »
Agreed, for those of us who look like Robin Williams, we don't need the surgery  :snicker:

Offline Jude Wolfshiem

• Handsome Horse
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 06:00:03 AM »
Yeah, probably, but our Furry grandkids could have the surgeries. Who knows, medical advancements may or may not happen sooner. I just hope stemcell research as a whole takes off, so people like my Grandpa with MS can walk again. ^^
"When you do a good deed, you're really serving your own needs, when you help others, you can't help helping yourself!"

Avenue Q

Once Upon A Mattress, Mame, Seussical, 42nd Street, Pizza A Love Story, Steak Night, Flowers for Algernon,  Stalag 17 and 45 Seconds from Broadway! I love you all!

Offline ambrelye1120

• Boisterous Bear
  • my latest imvu pic
    • my imvu page
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolfox
  • Coloring: white, gray, silver, black
  • Height: 5-11
  • Weight: 130
  • Build: Slender
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 06:17:38 AM »
yeah true...and you can grow your own fangs without that research. i have a friend who's dad is a dentist. the guy got a compound they use to fill in cavities into teeth that becomes normal teeth wall...its like stem cells but not quite..cant explain it...but long story short..my friend got this and put it on regularly for 3 years and grinded them on occasion and now he has real fangs that are his own teeth and actually 1.7 inches long from gum to razor sharp tips.  he loves cosplaying at anime conventions as Hellsing characters tehe but later folks!
For no one knows what might happen

Offline Jude Wolfshiem

• Handsome Horse
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 06:40:18 AM »
yeah true...and you can grow your own fangs without that research. i have a friend who's dad is a dentist. the guy got a compound they use to fill in cavities into teeth that becomes normal teeth wall...its like stem cells but not quite..cant explain it...but long story short..my friend got this and put it on regularly for 3 years and grinded them on occasion and now he has real fangs that are his own teeth and actually 1.7 inches long from gum to razor sharp tips.  he loves cosplaying at anime conventions as Hellsing characters tehe but later folks!

that's awesome. but dang, i bite my tongue and cheeks too often. that would suck for me.

Avenue Q

Offline Locke Wolf

• Avid Aardvark
  • Chance a draw?
    • Mypace? o.-
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf(Formerly Vampiric)
  • Coloring: Dark grey and black
  • Height: 6'3''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: Lanky
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 07:13:14 AM »

that's awesome. but dang, i bite my tongue and cheeks too often. that would suck for me.

Yeah, same. -.-

Offline Jude Wolfshiem

• Handsome Horse
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 12:54:22 PM »
I wish more people would realize stem cells can be obtained from other sources besides embryos. Although, if they're embryos that are going to be destroyed anyways, I wonder if it's better to have a short life better mankind or be left to die in vain? Hmmm.

Avenue Q

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Most Online Top 10 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 01:06:10 PM »
Well, the stemcell research could be used for more medical procedures to improve the quality of life, but the problem is that the most of the stem cells come from unborn children. If they managed to get them from the patient themselves a bit more easily, then that medical research would kick off because the 'moral issue' at hand would no longer apply.

There was a religious situation in which a woman giving birth was losing massive blood, but her religious beliefs wouldn't allow her to take blood from anyone. If she didn't receive a transfusion, she would have died, but still in a conscious state, she denied any transfusions. The doctors were in a fix until someone suggested to 'clean up and inject' the blood that they stored from her during the operation. When they did so, she did not have any reactions to her own blood and they monitored her health for several days after this and found nothing wrong with her.

As for how they currently go about in retrieving stem cells... there still has to be a better way.

Offline Jude Wolfshiem

• Handsome Horse
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 01:17:24 PM »
Human fat cells and umbilical cord blood contain stemcells. Also, teratomas (monster tumors that can and will begin to develop into a full human being if left long enough, I am not kidding!) are masses of stemcells from every part of the body which fuse together and begin to grow while the host is alive (Big Fat Greek Wedding aunt's tumor w/ spinal cord, if anyone remembers...)

Avenue Q

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 01:21:43 PM »
Tumors are damaged-DNA-containing cells... so those cannot be used (cancerous cells also classify along with this). Now, when you mentioned fat cells, that may be something to look into.

Offline Jude Wolfshiem

• Handsome Horse
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 01:25:37 PM »
Tumors are damaged-DNA-containing cells... so those cannot be used (cancerous cells also classify along with this). Now, when you mentioned fat cells, that may be something to look into.
Teratomas aren't cancerous, they're perfectly healthy cells growing where they shouldn't be. When they get too advanced they are actually classified as foetus in fetus, which means that the person carrying them is literally hosting their brother or sister inside them. They aren't technically alive, but close enough. I hope the Total Recall version never actually happens. Human teeth also contain stemcells.

Avenue Q