The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Forum size poll (kind of)  (Read 2849 times)

Offline aperson1

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I couldn't make any good usernames so I got this.
    • Awards
  • Species: Red fox (feral)
  • Coloring: Red
  • Height: 2.5 feet
  • Weight: 90 pounds
  • Currently: most likely doing something astronomy-related
Re: Forum size poll (kind of)
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 01:22:52 AM »
I personally like forums just a bit smaller than this one, but not as small as you describe. A forum that may get 10-20 posts a day.

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

rooby rooby [REDACTED]

Offline Bronies are cool

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 01:34:31 AM »
I personally like forums just a bit smaller than this one, but not as small as you describe. A forum that may get 10-20 posts a day.
The forum I described does get more than 10-20 a day overall. Just the largest thread gets a few.
I usually hang around that large thread because it's a general discussion thread and we can pretty much chat about whatever we want. It's where a lot of
Ideas are talked about that don't really deserve to have its own thread because it would only get a few replies.
I produce electronic music. I'm not amazing but i have fun doing it

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 11:55:01 AM »
There are two factors in every forum, size and activity. This gives 4 possible forums, not two

A Large active forum has the advantages of lots of posts and constant new content, but the downside is that it's hard to meet people and the community isn't as strong

A small inactive forum is good because you feel like you're part of an exclusive community and it's easy to get on, the downside is that the content is lacking and the users are generally disinterested

A large inactive forum isn't really good for anything, it's usually the sign of a dying forum.

The last category is my personal favourite and is a small active forum, that is a forum that doesn't have a HUGE community but has a very active one, you get new content and also a strong community so you get the best of both worlds.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Kozy

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox :3
  • Coloring: Milk chocolate w/ darker tips, spring green eyes, lighter creamish bib and belly
  • Build: Chibi / slim quadrupedal
  • Currently: Shy / Lonely
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »
@Bronies are cool: That's ok. I don't see why people should have to know about the fact I like the furry thing, too. I had furryesque characters before I was a fur and I would also be classed as therian/kin which goes beyond the whole furry thing really. It's fine to be into MLP, we're all into different things and it's variety that keeps us all interesting I guess. I might give MLP another try though I like to keep up with trends and I'm kind of behind on that one now, actually sometimes I am the one before my time on popular trends. Not into pop culture per se but I know some of it, popular culture is pretty diverse now and I kind of avoid it head-on as I focus mostly on my own goals.

By the way, @Kittie since roleplaying means taking up someone else's role and my characters are pretty much me, I don't consider it roleplaying but for my fursona it is more of an expression whether it fantastical or non. Actually, for me, just because it's fictional doesn't mean it's not real, everyone undergoes subconscious roleplaying and you could say society is one big organised fantasy act. My fursona is just another face to me, my inner ego should I say, the genuine me who doesn't have to explain themselves to be identified, they are just me. I enjoy the light RP section as catharsis, I am not much into mimesis.

Offline Kittie

• Boisterous Bear
  • I'm a daydreamer making dreams real
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Pegasus
  • Coloring: Silver dapple also known as Chocolate
  • Height: 14hh or 4 feet 8 inches
  • Weight: It's rude to ask a lady how much she weighs LOL
  • Build: Pony like, a little stocky
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 02:54:15 PM »
By the way, @Kittie since roleplaying means taking up someone else's role and my characters are pretty much me, I don't consider it roleplaying but for my fursona it is more of an expression whether it fantastical or non. Actually, for me, just because it's fictional doesn't mean it's not real, everyone undergoes subconscious roleplaying and you could say society is one big organised fantasy act. My fursona is just another face to me, my inner ego should I say, the genuine me who doesn't have to explain themselves to be identified, they are just me. I enjoy the light RP section as catharsis, I am not much into mimesis.

I guess I consider it role play still because even though I'm mostly being myself personality wise I still don't have the same forum as I would and I'm still pretending to be in a situation that is different than what my physical body is in or even capable. I'm also not sure what else you would call it though :p
  • Avatar by: Art by Greyflower on DA, me and Blossom on EV
The one, the only... chocolate colored Pegasus!

Offline Kozy

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox :3
  • Coloring: Milk chocolate w/ darker tips, spring green eyes, lighter creamish bib and belly
  • Build: Chibi / slim quadrupedal
  • Currently: Shy / Lonely
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 03:19:18 PM »
@Kittie:
Well I'm going off the definition of role. For me it's the human bit that is false, like being human is a disability and the Internet is my enabler. Similarly transgender do the same, I don't consider it playing as another role, it's just trying to be what I am inside, where I am capable. And e-hugs, etc, to me are no different than being a human than a foxish being, being that e-hugging is in itself an action and that virtual reality is as real as physical reality, being virtual reality is only another layer of physical reality. As the Matrix reference, reality is only electrical signals interpreted by your brain (and the brain itself is electrical anyway). So yeah, my fursona is just an avatar for me. Some furries are also transhumanists but I think this kind of defeats the object of being human and non, leading to ethical concerns I'd rather just not deal with, plus here reality is shaped how you want it and not the world per se. I consider the Internet more along the lines of the Matrix than Surrogates, basically.

Offline Kittie

• Boisterous Bear
  • I'm a daydreamer making dreams real
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Pegasus
  • Coloring: Silver dapple also known as Chocolate
  • Height: 14hh or 4 feet 8 inches
  • Weight: It's rude to ask a lady how much she weighs LOL
  • Build: Pony like, a little stocky
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 07:50:39 PM »
You are now in the matrix...  B)  cool ^.^
  • Avatar by: Art by Greyflower on DA, me and Blossom on EV
The one, the only... chocolate colored Pegasus!

Offline Snow Kittie

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 01:44:17 AM »
I like the size of this forum a lot, although it seems to have grown quite a bit since I left a few months back. Guess I don't really recognize everyone anymore D:

Offline Bronies are cool

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 03:42:26 AM »

I like the size of this forum a lot, although it seems to have grown quite a bit since I left a few months back. Guess I don't really recognize everyone anymore D:
I'm brand new here so that's definitely why you would not know me.
But yea the size here is quite nice and I do like it quite a bit as well
I produce electronic music. I'm not amazing but i have fun doing it

Offline Buna

• Foxy Fox
  • mreh
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat dood
  • Coloring: blue eyes, white/grey/black fur
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 142lbs
  • Build: muscles n stuff
  • Currently: investing in fake internet money
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 02:44:20 AM »
Slipknot djjsjjsjsjjsjjsjsjjsjskqlowokd

Hey hey hey Mr.Meowington is here *insane smile*
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline Ulfur

• Chatty Cheetah
  • I look nothing like Fred Durst
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolsky
  • Height: 6'3"
  • Weight: 187 or so
  • Build: Lean&Wiry
  • Currently: Breaking da rules....like usual
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2014, 01:08:02 AM »
*pats buna's head*
I do like the size of this forum a lot, its like a big small town. You know everyone, but maybe some just in passing, and others more in depth. However, I wouldn't mind having up to a dozen more people on at a regular basis.
  • Avatar by: The unruly pasta maker:Saoirse
*Warping through space* AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! *Sips soda* ah... AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
[img width=150 height=150]http://i48.tinypic.com/2nm18vt.png[/i.mg]
Captain Ulfur; Lingustics expert and certified medic at your service