The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Stop Yulin 2015  (Read 817 times)

Offline Teiko

• Handsome wouf!
  • Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Species: Wolf Angel
  • Coloring: Dirty Purple / Grey
  • Height: 5' 9"
  • Weight: 145lbs
  • Build: Lean
  • Currently: AT FIELD MAX POWER
Stop Yulin 2015
« on: June 16, 2015, 07:23:58 AM »
SIGN BAN YULIN PETITION

https://www.change.org/p/president-of-the-people-s-republic-of-china-stop-the-yulin-dog-meat-eating-festival

I'm just trying to spread awareness of a horrible festival that takes place in China... The image explains it. I once saw videos of it happening (i figured it was just a couple sick people) and contemplated ending my life afterward because it was so awful. It would be too extreme to describe what i saw (hint: a flame-thrower and a blow torch were involved). But i just found out that it's actually a large-scale festival and am having an anxiety attack right now and want this to get spread around as much as possible. I have witnessed footage of everything described in the picture happening and worse.

https://www.change.org/p/president-of-the-people-s-republic-of-china-stop-the-yulin-dog-meat-eating-festival

^sign to ban Yulin

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:22:15 PM by Teiko »
  • Signature art by: Teiko

Offline HollowOfHaze

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I see no way in which this could go horribly wrong
    • Awards
  • Species: Heraldic Winged Lion
  • Coloring: Tan fur/feathers, brown hair, brown eyes veined with a golden yellow.
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 128 Lbs
  • Build: Not exceedingly muscular, but definitely not fat.
  • Currently: Forgotten.
Re: Stop Yulan 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 07:40:21 AM »
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will be sure to spread the word.
  • Avatar by: My personal friend SpunkyRaccoon on DeviantArt

Offline Midnight Madness

• Lucifer 2.0 (Doggo Edition)
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • Absolutely adorable.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lycanroc
  • Weight: 175 lbs.
  • Build: Very well toned, intimidating despite his average height.
  • Currently: Guess who.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 07:44:45 AM »
I find a moth in my home that is struggling to take off because it seems injured. I give it water and try to help it fly again out of pure goodwill for the little thing, even letting it rest in my hand where it seemed to feel safest.

Such barbarism as this event really makes me feel as disgusted as you, Teiko. I can understand how it would upset you as much as it did, and especially after helping that moth today, something like this tugs at my heartstrings that much more. No creature should be subjected to such sickening torture under any circumstance,  and I'm sure quite a few people in China do have an issue with this among the few billion living there. Here's hoping they step away from such primitive actions or take steps to cease this 'tradition.' As with anything, it can't last forever.

Offline Teiko

• Handsome wouf!
  • Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 07:54:11 AM »
I will add that there are no laws against animal cruelty whatsoever there. And protests against it are broken up by police. I feel so helpless and i have so much rage right now. I read that the actual numbers approach 40,000 each year.

Why am i so privileged in this world to be a human living a good life free of pain, instead of being an animal that is brutally tortured with nobody to hear or help me. How is that fair. Why am I the lucky one...

The fullest extent to which i can help them is to just hope their deaths are quick.

Post Merge: June 16, 2015, 08:09:42 AM
Thanks for sharing. And also Nick, it's people like you who make this world barely worth living in. It gives me a sliver of hope. I just hate the fact that not everyone will encounter someone like you. Some animals will never even experience someone who cares about them. Someone will only know those who want to harm them. That makes me furious. It just as easily could be those festival partakers in the animals' positions. I thank you for doing your part. To get by in life i have to cover my peripheral vision sometimes and just focus on the few good people.

Post Merge: June 16, 2015, 08:37:54 AM
Please sign this petition to ban the festival. It's supposedly happening in 6 days (meaning in reality it's happening as we speak).

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:37:54 AM by Teiko, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline EchoesAbove

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Noodle
  • Coloring: White/Green
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 10:29:54 AM »
Congrats, you've managed to fall into something that's a mix of exageration and staged videos.

Before anyone says something: Been there with extended family, had dog, tasted good. Yes, I'm half Chinese.

Thing is, there are some weirdoes who decide that they need to torture animals alive. Not just in China but everywhere. I remember the video where some US girls thought it was funny to set fire to an endangered turtle, or all the people worldwide taping explosives into dogs and cats muzzles. The list is long, I won't continue. Liveleak is your friend.

The animals slaughtered at the festival aren't pets, as the really horribly made image I can barely decipher says, but animals raised for exactly one purpose: Human consumption. Just like westerners have chicken/cow/pig farms, in eastern Asia you'll find meat farms for more "exotic" meat, such as dog or snake, in order to name some. Things are just as bad as in farms all over the world, so I don't really see why it's an issue in China but not in the States. Germany managed to pass some laws which at least make animal life in those farms kinda decent.

About the skinning alive mythos: It's been proved that the most famous videos made my "animal rights activists" are all staged and people were paid for it. It's sickening, but hey, I guess for the people it was money. Skinning alive is too much of a hassle, since the animal is going to defend itself. A dead animal is just way easier to skin and take apart.
  • Avatar by: Photo by Nyro, Stock by ftourini-stock and venomxbaby, Edit by me
  • Signature art by: Kitsune_Nyx

Offline Teiko

• Handsome wouf!
  • Eager Elephant
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 11:36:57 AM »
I was not aware that this was staged propaganda... I would have to look into that but i'm not sure what my reaction should be to that. I certainley will not be fulfilling their agendas by spreading their propaganda anymore if that's the case.

Offline Midnight Madness

• Lucifer 2.0 (Doggo Edition)
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • Absolutely adorable.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lycanroc
  • Weight: 175 lbs.
  • Build: Very well toned, intimidating despite his average height.
  • Currently: Guess who.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 01:00:54 PM »
Regardless of circumstance, regardless of everything really, doing such horrendous things to another creature as that needs to be something to raise awareness of anyway. Not saying you're not saying that, but 'festival' aside, at least everyone can take such feelings and point it in the right direction. I'm always skeptical about these kinds of movements, but never about the creatures that suffer at the hands of why they even start.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up so quick, Echo. I would have found it out anyway, but I was off to bed after typing that up. So you made it so I have a bit less research to do with that.

And shit, Teiko, what you said to me is so kind. I really have no words, that just made me feel really great, dude. So, as the biggest understatement of my life probably, thank you, Teiko. If I can give hope with what I do, that's all the more wonderful mixed with the help itself.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 01:08:51 PM by Nick Sintari »

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Most Online
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 02:21:29 PM »
Can we try to keep the imagery of animal abuse to be a little less [graphic].

I feel this is bad but yes definitely check your sources before jumping to any conclusion, like you should always do for everything.

While they may be animals bred for consumption rather than pets, I do know that most rural regions within locations, particularly in Asia, have been known to not follow strict protocol like more western countries have it. In the US, Australia, England and other countries, animal slaughtering is a very careful phenomena, they have it so that the animal feels as little pain as possible (a simple bolt to the back of the head, it's over instantly). A lot of countries and animal farms do not follow this procedure, and whether intentional or not, can have the animal suffer significantly during the slaughter. This isn't even really helpful on their end either because when an animal suffers it tenses its muscles and releases stress hormones that have been known to make the meat less tender!

So there is a dog festival where they eat meat, I can't really judge about the dog thing, cause in India they would see slaughtering cows as pretty horrific. But I don't know if they would follow the same laws and regulations for animal ethics that western countries like the US do.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Teiko

• Handsome wouf!
  • Eager Elephant
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 03:16:49 PM »
Anoni, i'm not upset about the fact that they eat dogs or even have inhumane procedures, but there is literally footage of all the things described here happening, for only the purpose of inflicting extreme brutal torture, and Echoes mentioned that some of it may have been staged to fulfill an agenda, and that it's usually not like that. I'm going to take his word for now because i can't really handle looking more into it right now. But that is my concern.

Slaughterhouses in first-world countries are horrible too, but their goal is to slaughter as efficiently and quickly as possible. Not to keep the animal alive and make it suffer on purpose as long as possible. And that is my concern. If the torture is happening on a mass scale it needs to end, but im not going to spread propaganda for insane animal rights activists who want to distort the truth.

I wanna just walk away from it but then i feel horrible because i feel like i am abandoning them if it really is the case that spreading that petition could have helped them. I don't know what to do it's beyond messed up. I'm shaking with rage right now.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Most Online
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Re: Stop Yulin 2015
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 04:27:59 PM »
Act local, not global!

You don't know if this is propaganda or not, so you don't know how to help. If you wanted to you could help your community locally, maybe volunteer or donate to an animal shelter, or just (if you have a pet) make your pet feel like the best pet in the world. You can only do so much, so do what you can :)
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline EchoesAbove

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Noodle
  • Coloring: White/Green
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 05:33:27 PM »
I'm not even sure if the petition is staged propaganda. From the way it is written it simply sounds as if someone came across wrong information on the internet and decided ME MUST HELP! ME MAKE PETITION!

Unfortunately, Slaughterhouses are only humane in theory. While I am pretty sure a lot of houses do follow the law, we just recently had a case in Europe when a Slaughterhouse did not. As sad as it sounds, I'm pretty convinced that wasn't the only place abusing the animals before killing them in ways not allowed by law.
There is a store in my town (Germany), which imports its meat from the Netherlands. It's maybe a FIFTH of the price I'd pay for german meat (plus it's halal*). German halal butchers usually have higher prices than the discounters. You figure out the rest of the story.

If you want to support humane slaughter, go find a farm near you. A lot of farms run small shops, where you can buy meat, eggs and milk directly from where they come. This supports the farmer AND makes sure you only get the freshest of the freshest. You all should try unprocessed milk. It just tastes SO different and gives you foodgasms every time you try it <3 Plus you get to pet super cute animals! Unless a cow tries to eat your glasses. (True story...)

*Halal= slaughtered according to muslim foodlaws
  • Avatar by: Photo by Nyro, Stock by ftourini-stock and venomxbaby, Edit by me
  • Signature art by: Kitsune_Nyx

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 05:34:07 PM »
Can we try to keep the imagery of animal abuse to be a little less [graphic].

I feel this is bad but yes definitely check your sources before jumping to any conclusion, like you should always do for everything.

While they may be animals bred for consumption rather than pets, I do know that most rural regions within locations, particularly in Asia, have been known to not follow strict protocol like more western countries have it. In the US, Australia, England and other countries, animal slaughtering is a very careful phenomena, they have it so that the animal feels as little pain as possible (a simple bolt to the back of the head, it's over instantly). A lot of countries and animal farms do not follow this procedure, and whether intentional or not, can have the animal suffer significantly during the slaughter. This isn't even really helpful on their end either because when an animal suffers it tenses its muscles and releases stress hormones that have been known to make the meat less tender!

So there is a dog festival where they eat meat, I can't really judge about the dog thing, cause in India they would see slaughtering cows as pretty horrific. But I don't know if they would follow the same laws and regulations for animal ethics that western countries like the US do.

Let's also not forget that the festival is privately held by each person individually and the animals are being stolen, people already know the risks involved. Stealing has been illegal since laws have existed, there is no amount of legislation that will ever stop the "Yulin Festival" from happening when people are stealing the animals. This social media movement reminds me of the "Click 'Like' to give African children water" picture that floated around for a long time. People believe that social media can completely control anything, but it can't and it never will.

Remember the KONY social media movement too? Almost always the real scheme is creating hype about some sort of event that will make people in 1st world countries get excited enough to "donate" to these groups that barely help in the actual region at all and are just using the donations to fund their new car and new houses.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:35:55 PM by Wyte »
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Teiko

• Handsome wouf!
  • Eager Elephant
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 06:04:27 PM »
I just wanna not be alive anymore. I really wish i had more information so i could be of more help but if i stumble actoss one more image, i'm going to have a heart attack. I'm legitimately panicking right now.

I do plan to adopt an abused animal and making him/her the happiest animal ever  :'(
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:16:23 PM by Teiko »

Offline kalan

• The immortal half blood
  • Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Awards
  • Species: Welf
  • Coloring: Blue and silver with a small light blue crescent scar under his left eyes from a magic attack
  • Height: 6' 2"
  • Weight: 189 lbs
  • Build: Tall and muscular with the strength and speed of an elf
  • Currently: Slowly coming back
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Yeah imknow the feeling teiko ecspecially the not wanting to be alive part. And wyte is right unfortunatley were not gonna stop this, I wish we could but its gonna happen. China doesnt care about a petition.

slaughterhouses are far from humane, ive grown up in the farm industry I know what happens at the them. They stun the animal with an air powered cylinder to the back of the head and put it on what is essentially an assembly line. The animal is alive for most of the processes of being skinned and cut up. Monsanto forces these places to run the lines at high speed because bleeding the cow out before they skin them doesnt make that super coporation or any of the evil low life pond scum on the board anymore money. But what really is the difference drive by a feed lot in america, you'll see cows standing up to there bellies in cow crap, most injured, and crammed into small pens. In that situation I would consider death a release.

That being said if you want humane slaughter and raised meats buy organic. Im certified organic we treat our animals humane, its a requirement.  Im also gap certified, dont ask me what gap stands for I cant remember, which means my cows are treating like 1400 lbs babies. I dont use cattle prods or cattle paddles. As echo said by from a farmer. Here in the US we have CSA, community supported agiculture, which essential is an organic small farm with members. I dont if they have them in other countries but I would imagine they would somewhere.

moral of the story stay away from anything related to monsanto. They've poisoned our food, they've poisoned our water, our soil, our air, and they more than likely have their filthy little money grubbers in this yulin festival, although that last part is just purely speculation.

Go organic for humane meat
^Is my bust fren

Spoiler for Hidden:
That made me feel so good. Oh my gosh. Thank you man and same to you  [hugs tight]

I'm the same without Makias and Kalan!
both are loved and fun to be around

"Atleast your stomach will stop your tears from hitting the ground" ~Tim (138)

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 04:48:35 PM »
As a child in Africa, please send me your likes so I can afford to eat tomorrow.

On the other hand. Looking at this, it's very easy to completely overlook the state of which the meat you already eat is treated.
Free Range has become a buzzword and so has Organic.
You're never going to stop animal torture so long as you're eating meat.

I recommend taking up vegetarianism if even only a quarter the images of this festival disturbs you.