The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Creative Writing  (Read 3203 times)

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
Creative Writing
« on: March 27, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »
Hello my favorite furs! I've been thinking about doing this for a while, so I thought I would go ahead and post it tonight and get a feel for how many people would be interested in pursuing a creative writing group. This is open to anyone and everyone! We all know how much I support new authors, aspiring writers, and any creative talent at all. I personally work at making my art better and take tips and ques from all of you; don't limit yourself. Your potential to create is far more vast than you might even realize.

So I have a few topics I want to start, but as I said, this is just a preliminary testing of the waters, as it were. We can make it a game - I know we all love games here! So the idea of this exercise is to list three things. It doesn't matter what they are, they can be anything at all. A color, an item, an idea, a location. Anything that comes to mind. The goal is to take the three things of the user above you, and incorporate it into a short story. And it doesn't have to be item for item. If a tea kettle makes you think of a day in Japan with cherry blossoms falling all around, write that into the story! It doesn't matter where you put it, the order, or anything. Just make sure to include the three items listed in some way.

The story you write doesn't have to be pages long. You can write three sentences, one paragraph, five pages. Just go crazy and have fun. I'm reminded of the most famous short story ever written.

"For sale - One pair of baby shoes, used only once."

I'll kick off the items, and I promise I'll get a story posted up right along with you all. But I'm more interested in if -you're- interested. I hope to hear all sorts of fun, creative ideas!

Wheel, Diamond, Waterfall
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 01:02:11 PM by Proto Triose »
  • Signature art by: Lucky978 on Deviantart.com
Sorry for the absence; I had to get my life and my mind together. I missed you all.

Offline Pegu

• Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Poster
  • Purloining Pegu
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Ori / Guardian Spirit
  • Coloring: White fur, light purple eyes.
  • Height: 107cm at the top of my head! Ears add a bit more =p
  • Build: Lithe
  • Currently: Curious
Re: Creative Writing
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 01:22:18 PM »
Running, running, yet more running. It had been days, but the passage of time had become lost to the small white creature, existence measured now only in each and every step, now forcibly given pause as the creature tripped and tumbled to the dry grass below. Perhaps relieved at the break it can now take, panting for air before it's ears perk up and scan around for any potential predators. Finding nothing the creature relaxes with a large sigh on the ground, "Free at last" it speaks softly to itself. Still gasping for air, it recounts some mental notes to itself, "Beyond the Althari waterfall, past the briar and stay east... The way out."

The creature takes but only a few more moments rest before pushing himself up with his hands, dirtied by the dry ground, his fur stained in many places and the occasional twig poking out of it. Unable to run anymore, but it doesn't matter, the creature sees it's goal, the edge of the forest, the blue haze of the woods coming to an end to be replaced by the golden sunlight of the outside. The sight of it sparkling in the creatures eyes like a diamond, it weakly limps towards the opening and soon finds itself on the threshold. "No going back now..." the creature resolves as it takes it's first step outside the forest that had been it's home for so long.

The creature shields it's eyes as they adjust to the bright light, and upon lowering it's hand it is in awe of the view; a huge verdant green field, shimmering in the sun, dotted with patches of large yellow flowers the creature had never seen before. It's eyes scan all of it, taking all of it in with a smile before he spots a strange flat stone surface, that stretches into the distance for miles. The creature limps towards it a way before it's ears hear a peculiar sound it's never heard in it's life - Not taking any chances it lays low to the ground to watch, as a wooden cart trundles over the horizon, pulled by a mighty taur-like creature, it's wheels rickety and emitting screeching sounds periodically.

The creature lets it pass before watching where it was heading. It realised the stone surface led somewhere; in the distance soft white smoke could be seen rising from grey stone structures. "That's where I'll start..." the creature says to itself before starting to follow the stone slabs towards the town.
"Shine once more - Before the end."

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 02:37:12 PM »
I don't mean to break up the game, but Peg, that was really fantastic! I hope it was fun, too! I had a great time reading it. A settlement from the animal's perspective, so much fun! Don't forget to add three items at the bottom for the next person. ;)

I really hope you write more, you have a real talent, and I would love to see it keep going. You ever write a book, I'll be first in line to buy it. :D
Sorry for the absence; I had to get my life and my mind together. I missed you all.

Offline Pegu

• Yellow Yak
  • Purloining Pegu
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 02:40:21 PM »
Oh, knew I was forgetting something. Three thingies for the next person : Light, Tree aaand Sky?

Yeah, I'll go with those  ^_^

Offline Pegu

• Yellow Yak
  • Purloining Pegu
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 04:37:59 PM »
Hmmm - with what I wrote up there, I feel I've told the end of a much greater story.

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 12:31:45 AM »
Aaron walked through the fog, hands stuffed in his pockets, ears flat to his head. He hated this kind of weather. It always put him in a sour mood; if, indeed, a mood could be sour. He kicked a rock on the side of the road, sending it skittering off into the bushes. It thumped against something that squeaked, startling him and making his ears perk up. "Hello?" He called timidly. Nothing greeted him but the oppressive fog. He must have just been hearing things. But no, there was the sound again. Looking around, he carefully made his way out into the trees and bushes, turning his ears to lead him in the right direction.

He couldn't smell much more than sodden wood and the vague stench of decay, but there was definitely something else out there. A tree branch cracked under his foot, alerting whatever it was. He heard the rattle of metal and took a few more cautious steps until a small voice came to his ears. "Help me, please!" Aaron ran to the voice. Pushing aside some foliage, he saw a little creature trapped in a cage, its paws wrapped around the bars. It wasn't like anything he had seen before - it looked to be a cross between a mouse, and a magpie.

Crouching down, he looked over the trap. "Please help me out of here, sir, and this is yours." It held up a little blue bowtie in its paw to him, and he reached for it, but stopped. Magpies were notorious for stealing, but would he be much better if he stole from this little one?

Aaron sighed, reaching for the pin that opened the gate. "What is it?" He asked, as the door swung open and the little Magouse stepped out, stretching its tiny wings. It held the bow tie to him, which Aaron picked up and turned over in his hands.

The Magouse's eyes began to glow a soft white, and the bowtie snapped forward, making Aaron scream and put his paw up to cover his eyes even as the thing wrapped itself around his neck and retied. Slowly, he brought his paw down. The bowtie was around his neck. Tugging at it, he discovered quickly that it wouldn't come off.

The little creature was floating before him, wings outspread like a miniature take on an angel of fate. "The bowtie will give you powers, noble one. But be aware - with the powers come great consequences. You will be cursed forever to be alone. I am sorry that your act of kindness is met with such cruel fate, but after thousands of years one gets tired of protecting."

Aaron didn't like the sound of this, pulling again at the bowtie. "What do you mean protecting? Protecting what?"

"All around you, kind one. The world itself, and the people in it. Against a destruction most severe. You will save them all, and they will resent you for it. Always." In the span of an eye blink, the little mouse disappeared.

Aaron felt energy in his paws, thrumming through his veins. He realized his mistake only too late. A magouse. The little creature wasn't a magouse, it was a magus; he'd only heard of them in children's tales before. The protectors of the planet. And now he was one of those elite few.

A terrifying roar filled the air around him, and Aaron turned. A ball of fire flew from his paw, which he looked down at with wide eyes. Looks like his new job had already found him.

Slipper, Cake, Backpack

Offline Pegu

• Yellow Yak
  • Purloining Pegu
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 12:38:52 AM »
Cursed to be alone forever? I wouldn't take it.  :'(
Bravo.

Offline Rainbowbulldog

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Bear
  • Coloring: Brown fur with darker arms and legs
  • Height: 5'11
  • Weight: 220 lbs
  • Build: Chubby
  • Currently: Thinking about food
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 04:42:25 AM »
*raises paw* ooh uh can I write the next one?  :$
This would have been better if there was punch and pie

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 04:49:36 AM »
Please do! :D I left three things at the bottom of mine. I can't wait to see it!

Offline Rainbowbulldog

• Foxy Fox
    • Awards
  • Species: Bear
  • Coloring: Brown fur with darker arms and legs
  • Height: 5'11
  • Weight: 220 lbs
  • Build: Chubby
  • Currently: Thinking about food
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 04:53:21 AM »
Yay  :D I'll have it soon  ^_^
This would have been better if there was punch and pie

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 10:46:28 PM »
That was really good, and deep. I loved you got all that out of those three simple words. Things like that display the kind of power ordinary words can have. That was a lot fun to read, Sandor. Really makes you think about our place in this world, and the infinity of things we don't understand or don't know about. I'm gonna let my friend read that too, I think he'd like it a lot. -^.^-

Just a reminder for anyone that wants to join in, don't be shy! Create away! The next three were:

Slipper, Cake, Backpack

Offline HellEye

• The Elementalist
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Fox go boop
    • Awards
  • Species: Red fox
  • Coloring: Red and white, normal red fox coloring
  • Height: 5'8" Anthro / 1'4" Feral
  • Weight: 150lbs Anthro / 20lbs Feral
  • Build: Average, fluffy
  • Currently: *Happy fox*
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 07:34:54 PM »
Okay then, here's my commision :3 Really wanted to scribble something, was low on time though. This was half an hour roughly. Hope it's decent

After countless days of travel he was closing in on his goal.

The pilgrim decided to take a rest for the night just a couple of miles from the sanctuary. He walked for a long time already, he can wait one last night.

He dropped his backpack on the ground and went on to look for a dinner. Hearing the stream he followed the sound. Smile stepped on his face as he jumped into the water. Clean and refreshingly cold current gave him his strength back quickly. He drank like he never did since at least a month. Near the stream grew countless edible forest fruits. Pilgrim’s eyes shined like stars. This was heaven after the eternity of hellish travel.

Filling his mouth with berries he recalled his home. Loving mother baking him a cake out of forest fruits.

He jumped out of the water and shook the water out of his fur. Putting his clothes back on he panicked a little, thinking he lost his slippers somewhere. He slowly came to realize his paws hurt a lot. The custom made footwear broke in the middle of his journey, he walked barepaw since then. Feeling the stones on the road all the time was not a pleasant feeling, he came to realize it helped him reach some level of peace with nature. Dropping the clothes would help with that further, still it was too much for him yet.

He went back to the road, opened the backpack and pulled out two dirty blankets. He laid down on one, covered himself with the second one and fell asleep quickly, dreaming about tomorrow.

About reaching his goal after countless days of travel.

For some reason I didn't think of the traveler too much, i guess it's both good and bad. I kept repeating "he", I know it, no time to fix it though. On the other paw, I feel it makes the adventure more universal sorta say.
Fire, cloth, tower
Everyone seems to have it, so here's mine

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 06:38:11 AM »
I finally got off work and have a moment. A delight to read, as always! That was the last route I was expecting with those three words, how random they were. It's always a pleasant surprise to see where subtle ques can take your mind. If I have time tonight I'll write a short story for those three; if someone beats me to it, good! Can't wait to see what happens next. All of the stories so far have been amazing. I hope we start getting a lot more, and I hope I keep seeing all of your progress on your own personal story. :D

Just noticed this got moved to the next page, so just in case:

Fire, Cloth, Tower
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 07:40:51 AM by Proto Triose »

Offline Pegu

• Yellow Yak
  • Purloining Pegu
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 10:25:32 AM »
I might do another one when I get the chance  :P

Offline ..

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 03:59:27 PM »
(I'm going to try one and fail miserably  XD )

As I walked down the white slippery path into the thick forest I asked myself "how long has it been?" the answer to that question was simple, 1 year and 5 months. That's 1 year and 5 months I've been stuck on this island with no one to talk to or to converse with, I'm all alone. As I walk down the snowy path I must of misplaced my foot because before I knew it I was tumbling down into the forest. I kept on tumbling and tumbling until it all came to an halt with a uncomfortable object under my back. Quickly getting up to brush the snow off of myself I realize that the object was actually a book. The book looked worn out, the cover was faded green and the spine of it was on its last leg, I picked it up as if I was picking up a glass object that could break anytime. For the first time I felt hope, hope that someone else was on this island but as I opened the book my hope quickly turned into despair. It was empty...the blasted book was empty, not a single word was written in it, I scream in anger as I throw the book into the depths of the forest. It was all so hopeless.

3 things: pillow, door, the Internet
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:13:11 PM by ParadoxRefactor »