The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Creative Writing  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
Re: Creative Writing
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 04:42:09 AM »
I haven't had much of a chance to respond here, so I'm going to address both in this one, and as a bonus write a little one of my own. Sandor - I'm going to be completely honest. That was amazing. That has to be one of my favorite short stories I've read. In such a short span you gave history, created a character with depth, had a tragedy happen, and hope for the future. Simply outstanding. Have you ever thought of writing a full novel, or even a novella? I would jump at the chance to pick that up.

Paradox - Don't be shy of your writing skills! You can't fail miserably here, in any way. Everything posted is unqualified success. Your story is a great example. Even just a paragraph let my mind wander. I don't know if anyone else has played the game Myst from way back, but it's one of my favorite games. The description of the island, the book he found, all called back to those days of solving puzzles on an abandoned island with my best friend. The music turned up loud, lights off, so we felt isolated and alone. It makes me shiver still thinking about the unreal feeling it gave. And it was a very wonderful and welcome memory to have. Words are an extremely powerful thing in many ways. I'm glad you came and posted one, and I hope you keep doing so!

Now it's my long-winded turn.

Nothing ever happens that's exciting in my life. Everyone loves all of these "Day in the life of" books, but I just can't understand why. My life is mundane enough without having to read "Today, I took my dog to the park." I mean, woo-hoo, good for you random guy that published his journal. I picked up my dogs duke and cleaned my cat's litter box today. You don't see me trying to sell a thousand copies of me going to work. Here, let's see how you enjoy it.

I checked in to a hotel today. Exciting, I know. You can't imagine how rare it is to travel for business when you're a pilot. The front desk staff was nice, I suppose. This guy Justin made me laugh. He cracked a joke about The Champ. You know him, wrestling guy, in a lot of movies? Not Justin, I mean The Champ. Anyway, I got my keys to my room, was told about breakfast and a bunch of other amenities I'm not going to use. I'm here for about eight hours to sleep. Why would I use the pool that closes in fifteen minutes? The internet password was good to know. I absolutely would use that to play a movie or something.

As I got on the elevator that was conveniently placed in the middle of the establishment, I thought about taking a bath. That's how indelibly fascinating my days are. I spend time contemplating the nice hot bath water. I passed the door to my room while I was lost in thought, and had to back track. The first key didn't work. With a sigh, I tried the second one. The light turned green, and I pushed the handle down, but it didn't open. I tried again, but lifted the handle up. That did it. Funny how you don't have to call the desk immediately if you utilize common sense.

I turned on the bath water after getting situated. You guys wanted to be keyed in on that, right? Because it's all so horribly fascinating, following someone's basic activities from day to day with nothing unique happening. "Hey, this girl was a b**ch," is not something unique. That's life. And it's not creative in any way. The end of my day, I got into bed, propped up a pillow, and logged on to the internet. Here I am now.

See how frighteningly gripping that is? Why do these books sell? I just will never be able to figure it out. It's 11:00pm now. That's right, my story just kind of bled in to what I'm currently doing. Where is the border? There is none. Mind warp, I know. I'm just messing with people so hard right now. But I have to be up to fly a bunch of rich snobs to California, and be looked down on for literally keeping their day on schedule.

You know why? Because I didn't write a bloody book about bringing my dog to the race track. Goodnight, my furs.

Ice, happiness, fireplace
  • Signature art by: Lucky978 on Deviantart.com
Sorry for the absence; I had to get my life and my mind together. I missed you all.

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 08:52:29 AM »
O.o You learned the D'ni language too? I mean not that I'm a big enough nerd to have learned the language, read the books, and bought the strategy guide just so I could read the stories they wrote in them. One of my favorite villains is from that story. His dad, Gehn - the misunderstood god-complex type. And Sirrus and Achenar? Twisted brothers, though I loved the turn-around after they were stuck in the trap books. The entire idea that a book can open a physical link to another world really solidifies why I love writing so much. ^.^
Sorry for the absence; I had to get my life and my mind together. I missed you all.

Offline Grovygrunge

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
  • I am just some guy. That's 'bout it
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: White and blue
  • Height: 5'10
  • Currently: Being current.
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 07:13:06 PM »
I may take a shot at the next one as I am pretty sure a friend is planning to do a story for the current one.

Gotta admit I'm a little intimidated and uncertain I'll do well. Even though people say that I do write well. Eh, nerves.

I assume the writing piece doesn't have to center around the three things, they just have to appear. Correct?

Offline HellEye

• The Elementalist
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Fox go boop
    • Awards
  • Species: Red fox
  • Coloring: Red and white, normal red fox coloring
  • Height: 5'8" Anthro / 1'4" Feral
  • Weight: 150lbs Anthro / 20lbs Feral
  • Build: Average, fluffy
  • Currently: *Happy fox*
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 07:15:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's about right. I didn't know I can even write and my story is at 11th page now and it keeps flowing(shameless add)
You'll do well if I did well for sure.
Everyone seems to have it, so here's mine

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 12:36:33 AM »
Just stopping here to clarify you're right. Nothing to be intimidated about, I'm sure it will be wonderful! But it absolutely doesn't have to center on the three things. Just incorporate them somehow. If you see pillow and it makes you think of clouds as soft as a pillow, that's all that needs to be there. Otherwise, go crazy! It's your story. :)

Offline Firox

• I is very friendly! No worries
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • (still reply to my other sonas, in signature)
    • Discord
    • DeviantArt
    • My YouTube
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox *Flareon*
  • Coloring: Main fur red, do have fluffy yellow fur on head tuft, mane, and tail, dark red inside ears
  • Height: 3ft / 91 cm, lenght: 3ft 6in / 106cm, tail: 3ft 6in / 105cm
  • Weight: 38 lbs / 17kg
  • Build: playful, caring, competitive
  • Currently: friendly and full of fun - love chocolate chip cookies!
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 07:00:10 PM »
Ice, happiness, fireplace
I'll give it a try.  ^_^

I start waking up, I take a look outside the window - snowing, a blizzard may be on the way, I look at the empty fire place decided to get a fire going. I put on a comfy sweater and a coat on, thick pair a pants, staying as warm as possible. I grab my backpack that contains water wrapped in gloves to keep from freezing, nylon ropes, and three extra pair of gloves and beanies, and I also carried an axe. The roof of my home has icicles forming, I take them down with a shovel before they become more dangerous.

I make my way down the the snow covered woods in search of some dry woods to add to the fireplace. My cats still waiting inside, cuddling next to each other. I do managed to find some large pieces to use as firewood. I tied them up with a rope from my backpack and start dragging them home, at least with the snow makes them easier to drag at times.

Upon reaching home, I look at the window my two cats are now sitting there watching me.  I brush off any snow on the wood, and start chopping them into medium sized pieces.  I make my way to the fireplace, open it up and start adding the various pieces of logs.

I take my gloves off, put them back in the backpack. I struggle a bit to get the fire going, but eventually do. I move the couch closer to the fire place, I lay comfortably, my two join up with me and one lays on my lap, the other between us. All 3 of us take a long and happy nap.

arrow, river, rope
Info on my sona
Vay, female, Vaporeon, New York CIty, New York
Joseph, male, Jolteon, Kansas City, Missouri
Aaron, male, Flareon, McMinnville, Oregon
Arval, male, Umbreon,  San Francisco, California
Jyo, male, Espeon, Seattle, Washington
Linette, female, Leafeon, Biloxi, Mississippi
Grace, female, Glaceon, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Sherrie, female, Sylveon, Las Vegas, Nevada

8 opposite gender mates:
Leonardo, male, Vaporeon, Venice, Italy
Robyn, female, Jolteon, Bridgetown, Barbados
Fleur, female, Flareon, Marseille, France
Aycan, female, Umbreon, Istanbul, turkey
Elise, female, Espeon, Basseterre, St. Kitts-Nevis
Zoran, male, Leafeon, Velez, North Macedonia
Florian, male, Glaceon, Craiova, Romania
Seth, male, Sylveon, Ashgabath, Turkmenistan

My other supporting sonas:
Charlene - Bobby - Marrie - Milo - Vanessa - Zoey - Jeremy -Yana - Kumar - Francine - Rorch - Marvinne - Darsha

Offline dvdog

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Hello you fabulous fluffy people!!! :3
    • Awards
  • Species: tiger and fox hybrid
  • Coloring: green light blue and purple fluff
  • Height: 5'4
  • Weight: 115lbs
  • Build: Average female build.
  • Currently: Feeling fabulous
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 02:20:09 PM »
Is it ok if I have a go at this?

Snap! The small fuzzy creature was dragged into the air in an instant by a cruel unforgiving snare trap that wraps tightly around its left hind leg. The creature gave a high pitched squeal in protest as it grabs the rope by its front paws and tries to get over the initial shock of getting captured. A huntress pulls an arrow from its holster and pulls it past the bow on to the bow string grasping the string and pulling hard, she closes one eye and aims for the white fluff ball of a creature. the captured animal spots the huntress and gives off another screech and attempts to chew its self out of the trap. The hunter spots a larger predator sneaking up on the creature she lets go of the bow it misses the smaller creature and does the same to the predator then the larger animals ears flinch as it runs away in the other direction. She stands up and pulls out her dagger and cuts the rope while untangling the small thing, it then looked at her in a way that was of disbelief and thanks then it scampers away. The huntress lets out a sigh and takes a path that she knows leads to the river that is frequently used by trades men in small boats she then follows the river. After walking about two hours she ends up near a small town and the first thing she sees is the creature rolling an apple towards her with its muzzle she picks up the apple and puts the creature on her shoulder. Her chest fills with pride and she takes a bite from the apple.

Is that okay? If it's bad I'm sorry.

Time, lost and welcome home

Pet's name: Xavier

Pet's name: Polka

Offline ..

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 06:32:49 PM »
(Couldn't help myself)
   Time is...not what you think it is. It's not a straight line, it's a just a jumbled mess of things that either did happen and things that never did. The troubling thing is as I'm writing this I'm lost. No not lost, trapped. I'm trapped between space and time and I can see everything, it's amazing yet terryfiying. I haven't eaten anything for God knows how long but yet I'm still alive...but that won't last long. My existence is slowly fading and I can feel death finally approching. I have seen everything and everyone I love die a thousand times while I am forced to sit here and watch. I can no longer see my arms as I fade away, but I'm still able to write...I do not know why. If anyone recipes this please know to cherish the time you have and appreciate the person who says welcome home to you everyday. Because it won't last.
Bricks, glass, trees
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 06:42:38 PM by ParadoxRefactor »

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2016, 10:15:26 PM »
Those were both fantastic! DV, there is no such thing as bad. You told a story about a huntress saving a helpless little animal from a predator, and I got that image in my head. I'd call that an unqualified success, unless you meant to confuse me and wonder what you were writing. If that's the case, then I'm sorry, but you failed miserably.

Paradox, that made me very happy to see "Couldn't help myself." I hope more people start to feel that way! There's never anything to be afraid of writing here. Great work with the lost time traveler; I'm a huge fan of time paradox and things like that. Now if we could just make a hoverboard (the REAL hoverboard, not this nonsense wheeled thing pretending to be one).

I'll take a go at the next one when I get to work tonight. Doesn't matter if someone beats me to these three, I'll take the three for the next if I need to! Keep dreaming up worlds everyone!

Offline dvdog

• Avid Aardvark
  • Hello you fabulous fluffy people!!! :3
    • Awards
  • Species: tiger and fox hybrid
  • Coloring: green light blue and purple fluff
  • Height: 5'4
  • Weight: 115lbs
  • Build: Average female build.
  • Currently: Feeling fabulous
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 10:50:18 PM »
Thanks for saying that I appreciate it and I hope I can write more when I have free time, thanks again. :)

Pet's name: Xavier

Pet's name: Polka

Offline Grovygrunge

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
  • I am just some guy. That's 'bout it
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: White and blue
  • Height: 5'10
  • Currently: Being current.
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 03:41:42 PM »
Bricks, glass, trees
(Must... Resist... urge to... Dwarf...)

Ah, that fresh mountain air. It was glorious, almost always a cold tinge to it, gave it a little bite. What better air for a dwarf to breathe? Not like those elves, who live far below, hugging their damned trees.

I swear, I don't know why we tolerate them. Sure, they buy our metals, but they insist we 'refrain from harming the forests' in order to make the bed we sleep on. When we ask them how we are supposed to make beds without wood, they say that they can use some new age, elven hippy, magic to grow the wood out of the tree without killing it. We ask them to teach us that then. "No." They say. "You are too lowly and fierce to properly control such powers." So now we have to try and keep all woodcutting a secret, lest the tree-huggers get upset. "Eh, bugger 'em! What'll they do? Cry from up in their treetops, where they live like apes! Pathetic! Ridiculous! Bloody pes-"

In my anger, I shattered the rock mug of ale in my hands and a mournful sigh escaped me at the loss of my booze. I got up from the floor and dusted myself off, before heading back into the halls of Mountainhome to get some more of the sweet nectar. It would help my mood none, if I didn't go get a new full mug. The sound of my footsteps echoed as I made my way through the halls. That's what happens when everything is made huge and made of rock. Everything we dwarves make is strong. Our homes are made of the toughest bricks, good enough to toss at a goblin and knock the blighter's lights out, our chairs are made of rock, our doors are made of iron, our swords made of steel. Everything we make is strong! Perhaps the only thing that isn't, is our windows. You can only do so much with glass. We don't even use those all that much anyway. What use is a window when your house is built into a mountain?

I had reached the large iron door to the storage room. I pressed my calloused hands against it and pushed with all my strength, I was feeling more than a little thirsty after the walk, I could practically hear the keg calling out my name. The hinges cried out as the door swung open, and my it's cries were echoed by myself as a terrible sight revealed itself to me. It was horrible. Ghastly. Despicable. A pool of clashing colours was on the floor, with bits of soaked wood scattered amongst it. In red on the walls, there was but a single word. "Treekillers". What had they done? Why would they go this far? The heavy stench of alcohol had filled the room. They left nothing untouched. The rum, gone. The wine, destroyed. The ale, obliterated. I had to make sure this remained a secret, and was fixed ever so quietly. If anyone was to find out...

"MY GOD! THE BOOZE IS GONE!" The horrified howl came from right behind me, I don't know when he walked up, I hadn't heard his steps. Maybe I was in too much shock. Before I could even turn around, I felt something heavy smash over my head, and the world flashed before my eyes, my body fell to the floor, which greeted my with open arms.

I don't know how long it took for me to wake up. It could have been minutes, maybe hours, possibly days. All I know is what greeted me when my eyes opened and I picked myself up off the ground. There was nothing but bodies, countless bodies. They were strewn about all over the place. The floor ran with a deep red which was no longer just spilled wine. There was a cold, deathly chill to the air. I didn't know what to feel at that point. Sadness, I suppose. Confusion too. Not about what had happened, that was obvious. The same thing that always happens when a large amount of dwarves discover their precious ale had been taken from them. They rioted. I was confused as to why the elves would do something like this over trees... Do they really mean more than people to them, or are we just not people to them? It didn't really matter. It was done. I slowly trudged my way outside, hugging the walls as I walked. The world has a habit of refusing to stay still when you take a blow to the head.

Once I was outside, I was greeted by those who had also somehow survived. One of whom was our king. He stood out like a sore thumb. Dressed in the finest clothes, encrusted with precious gems and adorned with the finest jewelry, yet even he, in all his noble regality, looked like a mess. His face was bruised, his cheeks were cut, an arm was missing. Oddly, despite that, he still looked as proud as ever, like it didn't faze him at all. I approached him slowly and asked the one thing I could at such a time.
"How many did we lose?"
His reply had a strange coldness to it, not the dead, unfeeling kind. No, the kind which betrays a man trying to hide how he feels, because he needs to be strong for those around him[size=78%].[/size]
"Far too many... Yet we can recover from this. That's what we do."
I let out a long sigh, then breathed back in and steeled myself for the task ahead of us. Ah, that fresh mountain air.

(Sorry if this isn't particularly good. Those words made me want to write something DF inspired and I kept going with it until I found an ending I liked. Lemme know what ya think)

Dusk, Sun, and Shower

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:48:29 PM by Grovygrunge »

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 06:22:30 AM »
Ah! I just saw there was a post on here, I'm so sorry I didn't get back to it earlier!

Don't be ridiculous, that was remarkably good! I loved the idea of a dwarf and elf war, especially looking at the rocks and trees as resources. Genius. And you told it very well in such a short amount of time. I'm very glad the three words prompted you into creating a short story. This is why it's my favorite exercise; you never realize that just three words can spawn an entire story line and plot, complete with unique characters and economy.

Very well done! Never think your writing isn't good. It's that little bar that you have to jump over to get a result like this. I think that thought is what keeps anyfur from ever writing and posting it up for the world to see, and I'm happy to see it's helping everyfur with it! Thank you for sharing this with us. I had a fun time reading it, and hope to read more from you someday!