The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What's Wrong With This Picture?  (Read 480 times)

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
What's Wrong With This Picture?
« on: April 01, 2016, 05:54:19 PM »
Ok, so this is gonna be a semi-long one.

I'm ticked. Not the word I would use but the one I would, is probably not tame enough for the rules.

So, some back story. My primary/first part-time job is serving lunch at a school. This involves basically just taking whatever food is handed to me, giving it to a kid, etc. Also involves prepping of alternative lunches, being PBJ's and cereal packs (which consist of a cereal, four crackers, peanut butter cup and either a yogurt or a cheese stick.) Also involves doing detailed milk counts and restocking of the milk.

Now, in January we lost our head-cook due to a tragedy that occurred with her husband. Because of this, the person who does Deli normally, got turned into being the second cook, and that person is now the head cook. Because of my awesome ability to work, I got picked to get to do Deli, which meant becoming a full time worker. Woo!

I was told, *by the boss*, at the start, that my job was going to be everything the Deli person would do. HOWEVER the exception to this was that I would still do all the work with the milk. Anyone who would take over my old position, on any given day, would do all that positions work, but because they didn't do milk, they would instead take over the cleaning of my deli line. I would still have to do breakfast prep, register, deli prep, deli serve, milk, and then cleaning, sweeping and mopping of the deli prep area and cooler/storage halls.

This worked for two months, with no problems. Yet now, conveniently that our boss is gone, and that the headcook is coming in occasionally, this is now apparently an issue. According to the head cook and second cook, I'm not "doing enough." I should apparently still be cleaning my deli line, *as well as* making sure all of the servers stuff is prepped as well. Which basically means making sure there are at least 32 cereal packs and 32 extra peanut butter cups available, as well as sweeping and mopping my old section as well. Essentially leaving the person standing in for me, nothing to do but serve.

While I would *love* to just do it all, because that means it would be done right, there isn't enough time for this. At all. During the work day, there's only two points where I actually have time that I'm not doing anything that my position currently has me do, which is my *guaranteed* 15 minute break, and half an hour at the end of the day, which is supposed to be my lunch time. So, according to them, I basically will have to give up one of those two times to do work that the boss even said I shouldn't be responsible for when it's not my day in that position.

To put it in perspective; whenever I end up doing my old job one day, I always make sure at the end that there's plenty of stuff done for whoever is coming in next. But then if that person doesn't leave anything for the next, then it's defaulted to my fault for it not being done.

I mean, am I wrong for doing what the boss told me, twice, was my only responsibility? I already had one sit down because a co-worker was verbally confronting me about not "doing my part" to make it easier for her, and was told that it was unacceptable for her to to be putting that on me.

Have I done something wrong, or are they just causing trouble for no reason?

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
  • Reference: [link]
Re: What's Wrong With This Picture?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 09:47:51 PM »
Typical workplace politics, nothing more.

You're there doing your job that the boss has asked you to do. You do not answer to your co-workers, you are there to help them to keep things running smoothly. If they feel their job is too much and you should help, they should ask you kindly if you are able to help, not complain to you or the boss that their work is too great to be done alone. You are not a slave but a good worker will take initiative where help is needed and management will reconize that. That does not mean you do her job for her.

Unless you've been disciplined by your superior, you have done nothing wrong. Let your co-worker complain all she wants, but keep communicating to your boss about whats going on. It's likely he will ask you to help her, or tell her to pick up the pace, or (if that fails) replace her.

I've worked with countless people like your co-worker. They never last.