The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Should I Get More Sleep?  (Read 761 times)

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
  • Species: German Shepherd
Should I Get More Sleep?
« on: September 02, 2016, 05:45:14 PM »
So for the past week I've been averaging around 4 hours of sleep a night. Up to six, and as few as three. It's taking its toll. I don't have quite as much energy, can't concentrate or think as well, and other little stuff. However, I'm staying up so late because it's the only time I have to do what I love, be with my friends online. There's even a couple guys who I can only chat with by staying up so late.
So I am able to function. Not 100%, especially not today (and I have a long, later shift at work. Ugh), but I'm accomplishing everything I have to. I really, really want to spend that time with my friends, but I also should be getting more sleep. What do you think I should do? They all are telling me to go to bed earlier, but I don't wanna.

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
Re: Should I Get More Sleep?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 05:52:22 PM »
Hello again Rocco :)

Whether you want to or not, the fact is that too little (and even too much) sleep is not good for you, or for anyone for that matter. It will just get worse with the side-effects of not sleeping. And yes, you can die from sleeping too little, if you can even get that far. By then, your body will actually force you to sleep by just randomly making you fall asleep. Not a thing you would want to happen. Especially when you're at work, or driving, or whatever.

I would suggest you get sleep. Maybe stay up once a week or something to do those fun things with your friends. Kind of plan out the times you spend with them, while still getting enough sleep.

Hope this helps. Take care ;3

(PS, as a response to Michen's post: The amount of sleep needed is different for each person. Some need only 6, others need 9. I personally can only function properly if I get about 8 hours of sleep, each day.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 05:54:16 PM by Ventus Fall »
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 06:27:09 PM »
It is a thing that is often said that 6 hours is enough, or that 6 hours is the minimum, especially at schools, the media and whatnot else (in my experience), but in general 6 hours is the utmost bare minimum and not enough for most people.
It really depends from person to person, on various aspects.

Still, either way, I think I can simply state that me and Michen both thing you should get more sleep, Rocco ;)
Whatever the amount is you personally need, as long as it's enough for you to function properly and let your body and mind rest enough.

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 04:29:09 AM »

Sorry it took forever for me to respond, everything started happening, and I've been getting even less sleep. Literally passed out from exhaustion yesterday, I don't have any memory of getting to the top of the triple , yet that's where I came to.
I definitely plan on getting at least a little more sleep, 3 hours and then up until you pass out isn't fun. I'm officially worried about my health IRL, I just have so much work to catch up on and furs need me
Is there such a thing as caring about others too much?
But you know what's really crazy? Even though I'm exhausted and heading towards my physical breaking point, I want to keep on going, and actually push harder, maybe get to and past my breaking point and push more. How stupid is that?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 06:08:19 AM by Rocco »

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 07:29:58 AM »
It's ok you took your time to respond, don't worry about it :)

Is there such a thing as caring about others too much?

Yes, this is a problem a lot of people have. Caring for other people is good, but caring too much is not. You will eventually break down completely (seems like you are actually starting to get to that point) and then not be in the position any long to help the people you want to help.

But you know what's really crazy? Even though I'm exhausted and heading towards my physical breaking point, I want to keep on going, and actually push harder, maybe get to and past my breaking point and push more. How stupid is that?

I don't know where you exactly passed out this time, but I would highly suggest you stop what you're doing right now and get proper sleep. It's not only your physical health that is deteriorating from this. Your decision making skills, your response time, everything is going to 'go bad', if it hasn't already.
And sleep-deprivation not only can do that, but also cause emotional instability (easier irritated, sad, etc.), cause auditory and/or visual hallucinations, and damage you brain.
That, and more problems.
As said: You can die from too little (and too much) sleep from the effects little/no sleep can create. It's not so much staying up that kills, but the lack of any proper sleep.

I have had a friend from the other side of the world stay up constantly for me, because our timezones made it hard for us to talk with each other. I had to sit him down a couple of times and tell him:
1) He should get proper sleep.
2) There are times -even though our timezones differ- that we can still talk with each other. We just need to plan it all better perhaps when we can 'meet up'.
3) Because he was starting to suffer more and more from it, I simply refused to talk with him until he got proper sleep. When he wanted to help me sometimes, his help actually had gotten so worse, I couldn't even follow what his help actually was.

Case in point: You want to help other, but first help yourself. Whether you acknowledge it or not, whether you agree with it or not, you should get more and proper sleep.

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 07:58:11 AM »
I think I'm reaching my breaking point. Laughing, smiling, all for no reason. It's so rare I laugh or smile. This is fun!

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 08:13:27 AM »
Perhaps laughing and smiling is fun without any reason, but that is something you can do even when getting proper sleep. It's a good way to actually feel better and feel more happier. (I think it's called smile therapy.)

If you decide to ignore sleep, well... just read again what I wrote. I feel you're not really taking this seriously. There is a reason why human beings need sleep.

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 08:18:19 AM »
The probability of anything happening is extremely minute. And this feels great. Wonder just how far I can push this

Am I going nits? And TBH, I would re fead it, but I can't concentrate that well right now
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:21:22 AM by Rocco »

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 08:40:25 AM »
The probability of anything happening is extremely minute. And this feels great. Wonder just how far I can push this

Am I going nits? And TBH, I would re fead it, but I can't concentrate that well right now

You say first the probability of anything happening is minute. And then you actually respond straight afterwards you can't concentrate.
Your body is already at its limit with you passing out, you should not push it over.

(It wouldn't surprise me you feel great now, and then once the moment has passed you'll crash extra hard. Much like when people take energy drinks, coffee, or any other substance that gives more energy in the beginning, only to feel extra drained once the time has passed.)

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 08:44:28 AM »
Eh, gotta point on the crash possibility problem. I just wanna push because I'm already cracking and don't want to lose my progrs sbut don't want to risk too much.

Honest opinion, what do you think is going on and what do you think is a possible end result?

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 08:50:14 AM »
I already stated what I think is going on. You're exhausting your physical, mental, and emotional capacity.
End result: Your body wants and needs sleep, so you'll just start falling asleep. Randomly. But not before first experiencing damage. Your body and brain are suffering from this.
There are so many possibilities of problems to list (on a physical, mentally, and emotional plane), that I don't even want to delve in further than the things I've already stated. If you just look up what Sleep-Deprivation can do to you, then that would be just as good, I think, than me rambling on the same things I've been saying.

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 08:58:03 AM »
I'll try to start settling down and see if I can go to bed

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 09:02:01 AM »
Sounds like a good plan. Preparing your body to rest is actually a good way to get started :)

Feel free to keep this thread updated on how your sleep goes and the like, if you want.

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 09:03:44 AM »
probably will. Also look back at it tomorrow and if I wveg get properly rested