The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Favourite retro arcade game(s)?  (Read 1026 times)

Online PotatoFur

• Avid Aardvark
  • Still figuring out my fursona.
    • Awards
  • Species: Good question.
  • Currently: Foruming + Minecraft
Re: Favourite retro aracde game(s)?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2024, 01:23:23 AM »
Wow! From what I'm seeing online, Dragon's Lair does look revolutionary for its time!  :o I think I might recognize it as well, it feels vaguely familiar...

There's got to be some kind of trick I'm missing...

You could just look up a guide online.
Just keep on trying! Maybe try taking physical notes on what does and doesn't work. That's actually helped me with some video game before.  :)

By the way, I've just realized that the word "arcade" is miss spelled and now I feel dumb... :(
« Last Edit: September 24, 2024, 01:25:48 AM by PotatoFur »
-`-_-`-

Offline ZaraRaEchidna

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Get Equipped With Floof
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: WAKE UP, BIMMY!
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2024, 11:19:33 AM »
Oh, it was absolutely ground-breaking; and doesn't it just look fantastic!? It was so wonderful to find an original cabbie in person for that bad boy! It was tucked in the far corner of the top floor, as well - presumably to keep it further from the kids that would wander through and smack up the poor Simpsons cabinet  XD XD
I was like -- OH, I KNOW YOU GUYS KNOW THIS IS AWESOME TO HAVE, AND THAT'S WHY IT'S TUCKED IN THE BACK!
It's quite a trek for us, as it's rather far away from where we are - but Arcade Club Bury has a copy of Dragon's Lair, and well, I have to have a go every time we end up in the area!  ^_^

You could just look up a guide online.[/s] Just keep on trying! Maybe try taking physical notes on what does and doesn't work. That's actually helped me with some video game before.  :)
Unfortunately, it's not that kind of game! Or, moreso... I know exactly what has to be done, but executing that is ...  :? My partner and I have been calling it 'the ultimate timing check' every time we've attempted it  XD Well... To explain what I mean a little more.. Take a look at this bad boy!
https://www.dragons-lair-project.com/games/related/walkthru/lair/easy.asp

YUUUP - that walkthrough has specific frames! That's how quickly you have to act! It's one tough customer. But it seems so simple!  @.@ ONE DAY! One day, I will beat you, Dragon's Lair!

By the way, I've just realized that the word "arcade" is miss spelled and now I feel dumb... :(
I hadn't even realised! -shock- well, it's no biggie; plus, I think you can edit it if you edit the original post, perhaps?  ^_^

ZARA-RA!!

Online PotatoFur

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2024, 12:11:49 AM »
Whoa, that does seem difficult. :o Even at (30?) FPS, that many frame perfects is difficult and straining to attempt. It's definitely peeking my curiosity though, so I'll have to try and find a cabinet of it or at the very least play it on an emulator. Hopefully that guide you listed will help me out. ^_^

@.@ ONE DAY! One day, I will beat you, Dragon's Lair!

That's the spirit! You guys WILL beat it one day whenever you have the time to just grind it a bunch. XD I know from experience with those sorts of games.

I hadn't even realised! -shock- well, it's no biggie; plus, I think you can edit it if you edit the original post, perhaps?  ^_^

True, and that's a good idea! Unfortunately, I don't really know how to do that! :P 
-`-_-`-

Offline ZaraRaEchidna

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2024, 03:30:52 AM »
I believe there's been a few PC ports of Dragon's Lair! Perhaps I ought to practice with those? It's probably a lot different when you've got your hands on the joystick, though  XD a completely different tactile experience! Like when you play a recent port of a NES game, and suddenly you have SO.. MANY... BUTTONS...... Instead of A, B, start, select, and directionals  XD XD THE SWITCH HAS, LIKE, AT LEAST 8 EXTRA BUTTONS! Mercy, have mercy!

Humm, maybe if you go to the first post, and select 'modify', you'll get it?

ZARA-RA!!

Online PotatoFur

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
Re: Favourite retro arcade game(s)?
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2024, 12:28:23 AM »
I believe there's been a few PC ports of Dragon's Lair! Perhaps I ought to practice with those?

If it gives you more time to play, then you should if you ask me! The only thing you have to focus on is the game, while in an arcade you have to deal with all the noise and people in the room. It's better for practicing games in my humble opinion.  0:)

SO.. MANY... BUTTONS...... Instead of A, B, start, select, and directionals  XD XD THE SWITCH HAS, LIKE, AT LEAST 8 EXTRA BUTTONS! Mercy, have mercy!

Makes sense. On keyboards though, I haven't actually encountered that issue. But then again, playing on a keyboard has a different feel than with the actual intended controls, so maybe it's not the best way to play retro games (from a control stand point).  :)

It's probably a lot different when you've got your hands on the joystick, though  XD

That's a good point actually. Physical arcade buttons do not press or retract as fast as mouse or mechanical keyboard buttons do, so fast inputs are much harder or even impossible to preform in some cases.  :o

Humm, maybe if you go to the first post, and select 'modify', you'll get it?
That worked! Thanks.  ^_^
« Last Edit: September 26, 2024, 12:30:14 AM by PotatoFur »
-`-_-`-

Offline ZaraRaEchidna

• Eager Elephant
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2024, 03:27:21 PM »
If it gives you more time to play, then you should if you ask me! The only thing you have to focus on is the game, while in an arcade you have to deal with all the noise and people in the room. It's better for practicing games in my humble opinion.  0:)
True! But then my mind asks - "why not just go to the Arcade and practice with the cabbie itself?" -- and then I get locked in a tussle between "The point of playing the game isn't to win, it's to play the game!" and "But if you can't progress without doing the easier method, how will you learn the rest of it!?" -- I accidentally gave my partner a complex about using QoL measures in newer ports of older games, because I didn't personally like using them - and they go "well, now I feel like I need to match your power!" -- I joke about it being a complex, we're joyfully co-operatively competitive when it comes to this kind of thing  :nerd: "You push me, I'll push you! We'll both get better!"  XP

Makes sense. On keyboards though, I haven't actually encountered that issue. But then again, playing on a keyboard has a different feel than with the actual intended controls, so maybe it's not the best way to play retro games (from a control stand point).  :)
The only problem I have, is that they keep trying to tie extra 'helpful' buttons into more recent ports, that you can't turn off  :S 'This one rewinds! This one pauses! This one opens a sub-menu! This one speeds it up!' -- For some reason, I'm having this problem playing the MegaMan Legacy Collection - I keep pausing MegaMan 5 at integral moments...  T_T Plz, sir, am trying to dish it to Star Man's bishie face! Though it seems to be a CAPCOM oddity mostly; I had no problems with any of the ports of my other favourites, like the Mother trilogy on the NSO service (or the prior ports on the WiiU and 3DS) ^_^

That's a good point actually. Physical arcade buttons do not press or retract as fast as mouse or mechanical keyboard buttons do, so fast inputs are much harder or even impossible to preform in some cases.  :o
Not to mention input lag, refresh rate, messing with Vsync, so on...  @.@ Sometimes just setting up MAME is a headache in of itself if you know exactly what you want. You can get a crash-course in the easier version of this by talking to any Smash Bros. Melee fans; it's not got exactly all of the same bells and whistles as emu'ing an arcade game, but you'll learn a lot of the jargon verrry quickly. Oh yeah, we're serious nerdarinos  :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:
Of course, a lot of ports will take that in their own hands, but...   T_T For better or for worse, sometimes.

ZARA-RA!!

Online PotatoFur

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2024, 12:25:36 AM »
I accidentally gave my partner a complex about using QoL measures in newer ports of older games, because I didn't personally like using them - and they go "well, now I feel like I need to match your power!" -- I joke about it being a complex, we're joyfully co-operatively competitive when it comes to this kind of thing  :nerd: "You push me, I'll push you! We'll both get better!"  XP
I don't know what a QoL measure is, but the whole "joyfully co-operativley competitive" thing sounds adorable!  X3

The only problem I have, is that they keep trying to tie extra 'helpful' buttons into more recent ports, that you can't turn off  :S
I understand them adding quality of life features to those older games, but not allowing them to be turned off kinda ruins the point. They're supposed to help you play the game, not hinder you because your hand slips a few centimeters off one of the buttons and onto another.  >:(

Not to mention input lag, refresh rate, messing with Vsync, so on...  @.@ Sometimes just setting up MAME is a headache in of itself if you know exactly what you want. You can get a crash-course in the easier version of this by talking to any Smash Bros. Melee fans; it's not got exactly all of the same bells and whistles as emu'ing an arcade game, but you'll learn a lot of the jargon verrry quickly. Oh yeah, we're serious nerdarinos  :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:
I don't know what half that jargon means, but it sounds really cool...  :o :o :o

-`-_-`-

Offline ZaraRaEchidna

• Eager Elephant
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2024, 07:45:39 AM »
QoL = Quality of Life, sorry  XP weird acronyms!

I don't know what half that jargon means, but it sounds really cool...  :o :o :o
-Chanting- ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! -- It's mostly to do with the speed of displaying your video that the monitor it was geared to run on, VS the speed your current monitor can do it.. A.K.A Refresh rate, the speed in which the screen displays new images. Believe it or not - CRT monitors (which a lot of - but not all - arcade games ran on) typically trounce LCD monitors on refresh rate. So you need to adjust your settings -- that's before getting into PAL and NTSC... Which I admit, all of this, I have a passing knowledge of explaining - I realise now that explaining it is a lot different from doing it  :nerd:

Also; speaking of CRT made me remember.. Pop'n Music! One of my favourites! Not 'retro' by any means - but oh, what a fantastic rhythm game with a gorgeous style! I love that game so very much. My E-Amusement pass might be worth it for this game alone~  <3

ZARA-RA!!

Online PotatoFur

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2024, 11:40:21 PM »
that's before getting into PAL and NTSC... Which I admit, all of this, I have a passing knowledge of explaining - I realise now that explaining it is a lot different from doing it  :nerd:
Is PAL and NTSC the different versions of games developed for areas with different outlet power standards or something like that? Also, don't worry about it! I couldn't explain a single thing about math, for example, even though I'm in a grade 12 math course lol. XP But yeah, doing and explaining are completely separate skills. 

Pop'n Music! One of my favourites! Not 'retro' by any means - but oh, what a fantastic rhythm game with a gorgeous style! I love that game so very much. My E-Amusement pass might be worth it for this game alone~  <3
1998 is close enough to retro from my perspective lol. It looks fun! It seems to have a neat art style from what I'm seeing online.  :)
-`-_-`-