The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Garage sale finds, freaking awesome@  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Smitty the Airship Pirate

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • Prepare yourselves! Smitty is on deck!
    • My Formspring
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and Black
  • Height: 6'2 in. in fursona 2"11 in wolf form
  • Build: Slender but strong enough to clamber about on a ship.
Garage sale finds, freaking awesome@
« on: September 18, 2008, 10:14:53 PM »
   If you know me personally you will know I love history. Well today I went to a huge garage sale and they a whole sort of WWI and WWII memorabilia, I just bought an allied WWII gas mask and a German bayonet with sheath and frog   :sparkle: ( Best find...ever).  This place had everything from Iron crosses, old radio transmitters, to a flag actually flown on a sunken Nazi battleship.  They also had some awesome things there too, like an autographed Frank Sinatra album and picture (framed) and a whole bunch of cool stuff.  What was the coolest thing you found at a Garage sale, esate sale, auction, etc..?   *is happy and is a dork*
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:38:58 PM by Smitty the Pirate »
This forum's most notorious pirate since February 26, 2007.

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
Re: Garage sale finds! Freaking awesome@
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 11:41:25 PM »
I've seen some cool things at garage sale, particularly relating to the Civil war. (people in SC don't give that stuff up, we still have the Confed flag on our state house grounds)

I've found numorous Clothing items, Powder bags and stuff of that nature. Coolest was this Saber that was actually kept in good condition.

Other misc stuff Ive found was a M1 Garand and various pacific theater misc remnant like a japanese jewelry box that literally still had the japs tooth still in it.

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • My Formspring
    • Awards
Re: Garage sale finds, freaking awesome.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 11:49:17 PM »
I seen some pretty cool Civil War things, in fact there was a few confederate caps and a few union caps there as well.

Wulf064

Re: Garage sale finds, freaking awesome@
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 11:50:16 PM »
How much did you pay?

• Whalloping Walrus
    • My Formspring
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 11:53:17 PM »
$45 dollars for each, the gas mask came with its original case and instructions on how to use and maintain it, including how to repair one, and the German bayonet came with the scabbard and the frog (used to attach it to the body) along with it, so I believed it was a good deal.

Wulf064

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 12:05:30 AM »
$45 dollars for each, the gas mask came with its original case and instructions on how to use and maintain it, including how to repair one, and the German bayonet came with the scabbard and the frog (used to attach it to the body) along with it, so I believed it was a good deal.
Oh nice so do you have a collection?

• Whalloping Walrus
    • My Formspring
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 12:24:49 AM »
I will soon, I wanted to start it earlier but it was alack of good finds, I would occasionally find a good piece but extremely overpriced.  I will check some flea markets here soon.

Offline ¿ Jesse Pawman ?

• SILENCE! I BAN YOU!
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Top 100 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Poster
  • purrrrrrr...... here, have a cowlick :3
    • My blog.
    • Awards
  • Species: human
  • Height: six foot one inch
  • Build: round
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 01:00:21 AM »

Other misc stuff Ive found was a M1 Garand

My dad owns one. When he decides to kick the bucket, guess who's getting it?
MySpace

"when life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have the whole world wonder how you did it."- unknown

I HAVE TO CONSTANTLY REMIND MYSELF I'M A GROWNUP AND IT'S JUST THE INTERNET.

Offline Octavia

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • Octavia, at your service.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • xShadowx
    • Awards
  • Species: Suricata vulpes
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: 130lbs
  • Build: lean
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 05:56:19 AM »
Hmm..memorabilia wise? i've seen various WW I and WW II medals. at garage sales/actions...at one auction there was about 5 or so Nazi uniforms...I forget how much they went for...another was a box of letters ...from the soldiers to their families...I've seen gas masks as well..even old rations...and a decommissioned mine....at my dad's friend's place he has an original Army Jeep from WW II...it's far from road worthy but it's still cool he has one...I took a walk in a military Surplus shop in Florida called "G.I. Jeff's"  there was some pretty amazing stuff n there..grenades..uniforms...gillie suits...as well as various WW I & II memorabilia...I bought some Marine stickers and a POW*MIA sticker...if we didn't tkae a plane back home I would've bought some other things..

in my collection of war memorabilia...I have a few Korean War medals from my grandpa who fought in it..I also have his uniform and hat...I've also acquired 2 complete U.S. Army/ Air Force uniforms..pants shirt and a heavy jacket...I wear them  as regular clothes..

There was this other time..I went to Michigan with my boss and a co-worker...and my boss's friend has an original WW II M1- Garand...and he took us to his private shooting range and let us fire it off...it's got some wicked recoil o.o...

Offline ¿ Jesse Pawman ?

• SILENCE! I BAN YOU!
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Top 100 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Poster
  • purrrrrrr...... here, have a cowlick :3
    • My blog.
    • Awards
  • Species: human
  • Height: six foot one inch
  • Build: round
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 10:48:44 AM »
Yeah it bruises your shoulder huh?  :peace: grr
MySpace

"when life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have the whole world wonder how you did it."- unknown

I HAVE TO CONSTANTLY REMIND MYSELF I'M A GROWNUP AND IT'S JUST THE INTERNET.

Offline FoxyMcCloud

• Im watching you O.O
  • Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Just add water!
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxtaur
  • Coloring: The usual red fox colors.
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 160
  • Build: Sturdy, yet slim.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
:O LUCKY! I've got some things my great grandfather gave me from when he was in WWI. I've got a sword, bayonet, a helmet with a gas mask, but the mask is in a museum, and some frikkin' HUGE shells. Be sure to post some pictures of your memorabilia! I'm a big war-nerd. 8B
"i r guy who gon t33ch you less0n" ~ Master Chief - Arby 'n' The Chief

• Whalloping Walrus
    • My Formspring
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 12:53:35 AM »
   You and me both my friend, I inherited my grandfather's medals and photographs along with a box of micellaneous items such as shells ( including one that hit his airplane ) and a few things like pieces of jewelley and such.  My grandfather was in the air force and if my mother told me correctly he piloted a Mustang in the European theatre.  Unfortunately for me he was buried in his uniform.  As for Surplus stores there is a place near here called G.I. Joes ( ironic ) and it sells everything from bowie knives to all in one cup ( a pan, a pot and of course a cup ), to Ghillie suits.

Offline Octavia

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • Octavia, at your service.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • xShadowx
    • Awards
  • Species: Suricata vulpes
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: 130lbs
  • Build: lean
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 01:06:36 AM »
My grandfather was cremated...

right now..i'm in search for a pair of night vision goggles...

I wanna get my paws on an ammo box...I wanna store all my video games in it...they sell them at a warehouse store called Princess Auto...but I need one big enough for a DVD case...

My boss's friend is in search for a bayonet for his M1-Garand... the shorter 8" ones..i think...

• Whalloping Walrus
    • My Formspring
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 01:26:15 AM »
   They actually have a ton of them at this surplus store I was talking to ya about, my buddy got a few of them just to store his BB and nerf darts and bullets in, they seem large enough to fit a DVD case in.