The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Something my mom told me today which makes me mad & sad...  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
Something my mom told me today which makes me mad & sad...
« on: November 22, 2008, 10:00:59 PM »
Ok, my mom told me a story today that she heard from a woman who works as a warden.
apparently this guy from Virginia was hunting up here in Maine three years ago and he shot a black lab...
he actually gutted it and everything and took it to the tagging station to be tagged. :sick:
I guess for some reason he can't tell the difference between a BLACK LAB and a WHITE-TAIL DEER, even up close. :umm:
so yeah...the wardens were called and all that.
it shouldn't have even had a hunting license if he can't tell the difference between a dog and a deer, especially when there's a big color difference too. :twitch:

but, needless to say, I was mad and still am...and sad too.
poor dog. =[

EDIT: my mom actually did correct me and say it was a warden telling the story.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 10:42:20 PM by VeeSmith: The Weak »

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline Sareen

• Satan's pet
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Poster
  • I'm Not Insane, Just Mentally Hilarious.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Your Nightmare >:3
    • Awards
  • Species: Cabbit
  • Coloring: Black, White and Neon Green
  • Height: 5'10''
  • Weight: 121.8 lb
  • Build: Hourglass
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Formally Known as Danta
Re: Something my mom told me today which makes me mad & sad...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 10:10:37 PM »
Omg! I now hate that guy,
I reckon they should take his hunting license away
and do something to punish him for shooting something so cute...
  • Signature art by: Me (Danta)
~ Im The Finger Down Your Spine When The Lights Go Out, Im The Bad Taste You Cant Get Rid Of , Im The Nightmare You'll Never Wake Up from - Me (Danta Bloodrayn) ~
Add Me On Skype: TangoPhynix

Offline PhantomStone

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: brown bear
  • Coloring: dark brown colored fur.
  • Height: 7'1"
  • Weight: 480
  • Build: stocky
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 10:20:15 PM »
hey i don''t mean to be rude or evil or what ever you think of me but, if he accidently shot a dog it could be not his fault, like the safety on his gun failed as he triped or something

also if that happened, you wouldn't leave a dog in the woods, you'd take it back, you should gut it, other wise mabey a stray pellet hit the gut or intestines and that would be bad if it stayed in the carcass

anything that is killed should be tagged, he was doing the right thing taking responsibility by taking it to the officer, he could have left the dog in the woods and let it rot and get picked apart by scavengers but he didn't, he did the right thing

every one makes mistakes, but it matters that you own up to them, i aplaud him

Offline Nikolai

• Boisterous Bear
  • Smart Squirrel
    • Awards
  • Species: Squirrel
  • Coloring: Red, white
  • Build: Thin
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 10:31:01 PM »
It depends on your information source. He may have been senile and dumb, or he made a mistake and ended up a victim of circumstance. Like Megadeus said, it very well could have been a mistaken shot, and he tried to save the dog or put it out of pain, and didn't know where else to take it. It could be a combination of both.

However, I certain do to this deserves some kind of punishment in the way of a license suspension or something of those lines, and perhaps more severe if it was intentionally done, not mistakenly.

It reminds me how I wished that every 5 years citizens have to re-take a driving license test, after all the wrecks and traffic problems of older citizens end up in. People who can no longer drive, or hunt, safely should not be allowed to for the good of us all.

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 10:41:09 PM »
he thought the dog was a deer, that's why he shot it.
he didn't trip or anything.
he field dressed (gutted) it, thinking it was a deer.
he took it to the deer tagging station to be tagged as a deer.
the wardens actually had to tell the guy that it was a dog cuz he still didn't know that it was a dog after being so close to the animal to gut it and bring it to his vehicle.
he did say that he felt really bad and that he didn't know it was a dog when he shot it.
I'm pretty sure if he had known it was a dog when he went over to gut it, he wouldn't have gutted it.
he would've just called the warden service to tell them that he had shot a dog instead of taking it to the tagging station to be tagged where the person running the tagging station had to call it in to the wardens.

it was a warden telling the story, so I know that all of this happened in the way that I stated it.

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline [D.E.M] zetsumei

• Kuddly Kitten
  • CRAB BATTLE!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 01:09:44 AM »
that guy is either extremely daft, blind, or just an incredible idiot, thats all i can really say about it.

Offline ___

• Origami Guru
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 03:22:53 AM »
Hmm... It could have been a dog, but what next? What if there were a child out there (Don't know why it would be there in the first place...) and he mistaked it for a... I don't know what and shot it? That would have been 10x worse.....

Offline SeiRruf IS, FurryLAE.

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 04:03:28 AM »
._.   hunting's baaaaaaaaaaad

*sounds like a sheep*

Offline ___

• Origami Guru
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 04:10:15 AM »
Hunting isn't bad, its just the scale and methods humans use that make it bad. A wolf pack only has a 10-20% sucess rate of hunting because they are armed only with their teeth, running ability and wits, but a human has a death stick (AKA - Gun) that (almost) instantly kills anything you point it at. And there are so many humans, that when they want to hunt, it throws the whole system out of whack. So hunting... Mmmhh.... I guess it COULD be ok if done in the right way.

Offline Nikolai

• Boisterous Bear
  • Smart Squirrel
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 05:08:37 AM »
Hm. That does sound quite cruel. Well, the best you can do is acknowledge it, remember it, and move on. What's done is done, and dwelling on it won't help anyone. =\ It is quite sad, though.

Offline ___

• Origami Guru
  • Racious Racoon
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 05:22:29 AM »
So true, Nikolai...

Offline PhantomStone

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 05:44:32 AM »
hey lae hunting isn't bad i won't go into a rant here, but there are a heck of a lot of hunters who are responsible and are good ppl, it's guys like the one above who give the rest of us a bad name, ok lae, more dear are killed by cars in new devlopments than by hunters

Offline Nikolai

• Boisterous Bear
  • Smart Squirrel
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 06:08:07 AM »
hey lae hunting isn't bad i won't go into a rant here, but there are a heck of a lot of hunters who are responsible and are good ppl, it's guys like the one above who give the rest of us a bad name, ok lae, more dear are killed by cars in new devlopments than by hunters

He didn't say that Hunters are bad. He said that Hunting is bad. Two different concepts.

Offline PhantomStone

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 06:14:30 AM »
ya know what i could continue this fight, but that won't solve anything and that fight might turn into a flaming fights, so i'm stopping this here

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 03:48:17 PM »
yeah, please, no fighting in this thread.
all I wanted to do was post this story for people to read because it's sad and it's about an animal.
and I thought it'd be interesting for others to read/hear about.
it's not meant to make people fight with each other about whether hunting is bad or not.
it's just meant to show that this one guy couldn't tell that a black lab wasn't a white-tail deer even up close, until he was told.
which is just sad and that guy shouldn't have a license if he can't tell the difference.