The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Don't you think its terrible that we have to keep being a furry a secret?  (Read 5755 times)

Offline blackrosepanther

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: 2/3 HUMAN 1/3 PANTHER
  • Coloring: BLACK AND RED FUR
  • Height: 1m 22cm
  • Weight: 50kg
  • Build: skinny
Yeah i think its rly bad but hey why should we care what they think i wear my cat ears and tail out wherever i go and if anyone calls me a *** or anything i just reply with ...and proud we dont have to be secret we should walk around in all our furry glory and when we see another proud furry glomp them and tell them good job and besides we dont even know how many of us there are secretly as most of us are too scared of the 12 year old trolls who will persecute them for who they are so say it loud and proud put your paws in the air and shout IM A FURRY ...GET OVER IT

woot inspirational speech FTW

=3 if u see any furries in the street make shure u glomp them for me

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 02:48:16 PM by WingedZephyr, Reason: Inappropriate language »

Offline Dr. Strange

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 10 Poster
  • "Break free of your chains and quell in fear"
    • Q @ FurAffinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Feline-lupine hybrid with wings
  • Coloring: red and black
  • Height: 5'4
  • Weight: 126
  • Build: average
I don't hide what I am anymore. I have found a few furries at school that I hang out with. Beside,s I'm in the process of getting a few of my closest friends to join the forums with me because we're all the same to each other.
I go by many names; Mistress of the Abandoned; King of the Shattered; Duchess of the Damned; Nightcatcher; and Dreamwatcher.
but I am untamed and therefor
Your Worst Nightmare
~~Dr. Stitches "Sahara" Strange~~ experiment from D13 -------->
Pet's name: A734RF50G
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!

Offline Jacen the Folf

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox-Wolf
  • Coloring: Orange-Brown Fur, Cream chest and jaw, black paws and forearms
  • Height: 5"11
  • Weight: 130
  • Build: Lean, thin, and slightly muscular
I hate it....I feel like i'm lying to everyone

I don't tell my parents because they might think that i'm homosexual (everytime i try to tell them something personal it starts off with "Are you telling us your gay?" T.T)

I don't tell my friends because I really don't need them to stop talking to me. After High School I wouldn't care much, but in High School where you either join a group or die, I need to keep it a secret....

So, ya. I do think it's terrible.

Pet's name: Jacen
Adopt your own!

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
When I was in school, I was in the "group for people who dont have a group" group. Plus if they dont talk to you just cus you're a furry, not only are they a bad friend, but really really childish.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Gáire

• Eager Elephant
  • Saver of the Humens
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Reddish-brown
  • Height: 5'5
  • Weight: 119
  • Build: Lean
Two people know that I'm a furry; one of them is a fellow furry.

The first one was okay with it, but I think she feels a bit uncomfortable talking about it.

The second one just said "I don't understand why people hide things like that. It's not a big deal."

The latter one was a furry so...YEAH. No one else knows.

Pet's name: Xeintal
Adopt your own!

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
I just finished listening to an old Rock Paper Shotgun podcast involving a journalist who made her name reviewing Japanese Hentai Dating Simulators. Now she vehemently defended them, and rightly so, some of them have the best stories I've heard in a long time, especially in the video game world. So she was saying that all the fetishes and the bizarreness that westerners attribute to these games is justifiable, and in the good ones, they're handled very maturely and very intelligently. It's a major genre in Japan for a reason. She seemed very agreeable and very open-minded.

However, she eventually rambled her way into talking about furries and basically boiled it down to people dressing as mascots and rubbing against eachother and that if she ever met one she would beat them up. Obviously I dont have to explain how narrow and absurd that mentality is, but this is someone that many would consider to be open minded.

Maybe this shows how seperate from normality this whole culture is, or perhaps it shows how open minded we are. Personally I think it's both.

I mean I consider myself to be as open minded as you can possibly be. I would defend a person with poedophilic desires if he or she didn't act on it and wouldn't do anything that could possibly hurt someone. I don't understand it but I recognize the fact that they still have the right to a normal life since they're not doing anything harmful to anyone.

That said, the bizarreness of our own culture in comparison to what many people would recognise as normal (though I see normal people as people who dont realize how messed up they are,) is really quite substantial and I see no reason why other people wouldnt find it weird and wrong, simply because it's different. I'm not saying we're just like poedophiles since there's really no chance at all that we would hurt someone. I just think we're part of a strange culture that people dont understand, and it's never going to be understood simply because it's too detached from any sort of normality that has ever been constructed.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
  • Species: A mythical creature called an Almiraj.
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: Not good with height.
  • Weight: Not good with weight, either.
  • Build: Since I made this guy in a program that didn't allow me to change the bulk or build of a furry, I would say about Average.
I for one find most furry haters to be huge jerks. That's why I am only a furry on furry forums. And personally, in my opinion, furries aren't bad people. I mean sure, there are Super Furries that are so proud of furries and being one that they pretty much think anyone who's not a furry is scum. People like TwitchyTheFoxBat on Youtube. Granted he has some pretty good videos, but seriously, "Humafag?" Is that what you resort to? Get real! Plus, the guy blocked me just for telling him to ignore those guys.

Other than him, most furries I know are pretty nice people.

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline TailzWolf

• Boisterous Bear
  • Thanks goes to Joe Racoon for this nice Avi!
    • Awards
Why is it kept secret?:

*Little to no knowledge of/hatred of Furries
*Fear of difference
*A conflict with the other person's interests, beliefs, etc.
*People who think everything is a joke or who exploit it for their amusement
*Culture, Parental Expectations, and possibly Religion; And the fear of failing to meet them by letting it out

The response of  "Furry? *Watches whatever random video he/she finds on YouTube* OMG, you sick..." probably doesn't help either.

These are the conclusions I've come up with.

Feel fre to take the quiz here

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
I'm able to tell anyone that I am a furry. Why? The simple answer is this. If they hate furries, too bad, they can go **** themselves. I find nothing wrong in being different because everyone is (don't kindergarten teachers tell you this?). If there is a conflict with someone between moral/religious beliefs, so what? Fight but do not make a fool of yourself. If they take it as a joke, take them as a joke. Parental expectation, region, and culture should have very little effect. I don't care what my parents think of me. I stopped caring a LONG time ago. Religion is a bond between you and God, no one else. You choose to believe if you want to, not because someone says you should or shouldn't. Culture? What is that? Isn't it human behavior? Behave how you want because things change, this includes cultures. Whats the difference between regular XXX and furry XXX? Tell me because I have no idea. XXX is XXX. so?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 04:53:47 AM by Spike_Vicious »

Offline Jad'Thor

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • Jaddius F.X. Thor
    • Awards
  • Species: Tri-tailed Folf
  • Coloring: Blue, light blue,Black
  • Height: 1.88m
  • Weight: 67Kg
  • Build: athletic
YAY, one of my better friends is also a fur, but hes only told me. cause most people at school know im a fur (even if they don't completely know what that means). another reason aussie is cool, most people are really laid back and so far at school i haven't seen any real fur-haters, just some jokes and some weak insults but thats a normal way of greeting someone here "hi Bob".."go *&$^ yourself Jim [:". anyway he keeps it a secret cause he thinks that his friends will think less of him, i'd tell people (or randomly shout it in class or around the school :bubbles:) that he was a fur, but then again hes a friend and i respect what he wants to do.
dont click my pet!!!!

i was here FIRSTer...ish!,and will throw cookies at your face at will :3

i dunno how i got him....but i do, and ill always be grateful for him...

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
get him to make an account!

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
nobody wants to lose friends and alienate people

Offline Ricco92

• Avid Aardvark
  • Success is never enough, everyone must fail
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Pure White with red highlights on the tips
  • Height: 6ft 5inches
  • Weight: 79 kg
  • Build: athletic
yer, i keep bein a fur secret from my friends. This is because i once isolated myself from everyone and had no friends to help me out of it, so im worried if i tell them thy will reject me and i'll be in the same spot as i was.

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
well if they're proper friends, they wont isolate you, they'll just think you're really weird, which is fine.

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
Yea my friends don't isolate me but they do question why I like furries. They called me cancer once when I told them I spammed 4chan with furs. I lol'd.