The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Asia Kali can DO IT!  (Read 30334 times)

Offline KittKat chunky~

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • 100% chocolate-wafer feline!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lynx / Wildcat
  • Coloring: Dappled brown-grey and white
  • Height: 5' 7" ish
  • Build: Chunkeh
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Nom!
Re: AsiaBunny can DO IT!
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2010, 07:59:16 PM »
I like both of 'em Asia, great work buddy... hope to see more!  :P
  • Avatar by: Avatar art drawn by me
100% chocolate-wafer feline!

"The Slovak optimist is learning English, the Slovak pesimist is learning Russian and the Slovak realist is learning to shoot an AK-47"

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2010, 10:00:11 PM »
I really should be working, but instead I did this... well actually I did bits of this over time. When I realised what I was drawing, I became daunted by the task, because it's really rather delicate. It requires a gentle touch, and I am not a gentle touch.

I'm really quite proud of what I made though. It's got my style, but it also has a certain poetry to it...

Enjoy

"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2010, 03:09:25 AM »
Ooooh, awesome!
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline KittKat chunky~

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2010, 01:54:05 PM »
Oh my god, Asia.... that is wonderfull  :P

I'm glad you feel proud of it, because you should... it really reflects your style and i love it  :3

As always, cant wait to see what else you draw in the future  ;)

"The Slovak optimist is learning English, the Slovak pesimist is learning Russian and the Slovak realist is learning to shoot an AK-47"

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2010, 02:08:49 PM »
Abstract powers! I like those jeans :P. I also love the stars below the person, rawr I think that's a paintbrush in Photoshop :?
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »
I also love the stars below the person, rawr I think that's a paintbrush in Photoshop :?
Yes, and it's the only time I've ever used it, and I'll probably not use it for a long time after as well. To me, it's always seemed very childish and simplistic in a bad way. I guess that's why it works in that picture.

But anyway, Finally, with privacy on my side, I can get to drawing again. It's the end of the academic year, I can do anything, so what do i do? Bad concept art. :P

I'm gonna try to do a webcomic soon, and I want things to be ready for it, particularly characters. So here's an early concept for one of the main characters.

There's so much wrong with this picture, but it's a lot better than he used to look.
He used to be called Kaiser, but I think I might called him Faizal, or Fletcher... one of the two.

other characters will look a lot better, trust me. They're much more visually interesting.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Offline KittKat chunky~

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2010, 05:20:18 PM »
Asia... there is somthing about your style of artwork that is really interesting  :P

Cant wait to see the other character concepts  :3

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2010, 07:22:27 PM »
Yeah that looks pretty good actually, you do nice brush effects together and makes me think of some sort of hybrid Vincent Van Gogh with modern techniques in the power of bunny paws :D

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2010, 01:17:04 AM »
Cool, i like comics :3
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2010, 10:15:09 PM »
Guess who's started posting on his FA account?

Haha, also just did the latest concept for another of my characters. this one is called Marylin due to her dyed blonde hair.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/3881160/

Oh yeah and my first paid commission was completed. Thankyou White, you're a great customer.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/3880520/

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2010, 11:27:54 PM »
No problem! I love that green glow in the floor, reminds me of a chaos emerald <3.

Offline KittKat chunky~

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2010, 08:44:19 AM »
The character concept looks real good Asia, as does mr.Wolgon  :P

Good work  :3

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2010, 07:14:25 PM »
I really love gender stereotypes taken to extremes, like the Tank and Witch from Left4Dead, or the brothers and sisters from The Void

So here's my concepts for the third main character of my webcomic.

Oh yeah and I love robots.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/3885265

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/3885274/

There is one comment on this thread that I forgot to address, and I really wanted to because it allows me to talk about my favourite artists.

Yeah that looks pretty good actually, you do nice brush effects together and makes me think of some sort of hybrid Vincent Van Gogh with modern techniques in the power of bunny paws :D

I can see where the Van Gogh similarity appears, but I certainly didn't try to move with the old master. Primarily my style arises from my own erraticness, my energy, my hyperactivity. I don't stay on things for too long, and I like it when there is a lot of movement to a picture. When I first really started experimenting in this direction, I pushed the movement as far as I could and one of my graphic design teachers loved it, while the other realised that nobody else could see what on earth was going on. I toned it down and ended up with a comic book, of which the last page was this:

Now think about it. That's what it looked like when toned down. Imagine how it used to be, with about twice or maybe three times the confusion.

I still toy with the extremes from time to time, but... well you've seen what I normally produce. As you all well know, initially I would draw something out in pencil, then pen, then colour it in. I used to use real paints which would sometimes run away with me and my erraticness. It ends up creating an unintelligible mess, often with only one or two overriding colours. There's a certain lack of control that I don't like. Also, it was big, expensive and messy. So instead, I went with painting on photoshop, which only required lots of scanning in of drawings. I didn't like doing that either because once it's on the computer, I can't change the original linework particularly easily. It always comes off as an unconvincing patch job. As well as that, the linework in pen was always quite rigid and smooth, leaving very little movement and life that the original pencil sketch had.

One quote that always comes to mind is from Ralph Steadman, artist of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I think he said something like
I don't like going over things in pen, because the drawing loses its life.

(the White Rabbit, by Ralph Steadman)

I definitely got inspired by him to do things strangely. I started drawing straight off in pen, but then found mistakes utterly irreperable, though some were rather pleasing. Eventually a picture gets filled with so many mistakes that I end up back where I started, not knowing where anything is anymore. I found this method of artwork unsustainable though it did bring forth some of my longest lasting characters.

(I should say now that I'm not doing things chronologically, but more thematically, however, that said, this is a good place to point out my other inspiration at that time was the sculptures of Nicolas Caesar. They're strange, twisted, dark and very imaginative. I also toyed briefly with the style of Dave McKean, illustrator of the Sandman comics. In fact, here's what I came up with:

Yes it's... odd, but it was an experiment after all. Anyway, moving on:)

I found this strange, twisted and permanent world of art to not fit right with my "style," even though I didn't know what that style was. I went back to pencil and paper drawings of very neat, very static characters, and felt as though I was going backwards, betraying my artistic sensibility.

All this changed after watching an episode of Friday Night with Johnathon Ross. They were interviewing the Gorillaz, Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett. Being the comic book fan that he is, Johnathon Ross focused on Jamie Hewlett's past as one of the creators of Tank Girl. Since I absolutely loved the art for the Gorillaz, I decided to check it out. One of the first things I found was a news story about how Tank Girl was being revived, and the first new volume, called Tank Girl: The Gifting was to be illustrated by a man called Ashley Wood. This was the front cover:

I was intrigued, so i went to his blog, and stayed there for the next 6 hours, just looking through his art. It was beautiful.

This is one of his more expressive yet simplistic pictures, and he has plenty of detailed and realistic ones... but just look at that. It's stupid and awesome in equal measure. That's what I want.
So right now, he's my main influence. He's where I want to be. I want that impact, I want that skill, I want that movement.

I've a long way to go from here, but then I've only just started.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:05:07 AM by AsiaBunny »

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »
That rabbit at first glance to me looked like it held a revolver lol, weird but I guess if we were to get psychological here it would be because I prefer to imagine a gun before a pocketwatch :P

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2010, 04:07:20 PM »
Redesigned that cat dude as a rat. He was bland before, but now he's oozing character... dunno about the fur colouring though, and the expression could certainly use a bit of perking up, this rather quick and rushed really, oh well. here he is. Faizl... I spelt faizal wrong... but I like this spelling, it's cool... Faizl it is then... for now.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/3889767/