The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: I want to learn  (Read 1060 times)

Offline fantasy

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: human
I want to learn
« on: October 31, 2009, 05:51:03 AM »
Hello. I'm a high school student. I'm not a Furry. However, a girl at my school recently came out as one. Some people are not very accepting. I don't care about her identification though, and am glad she had the strength to tell others about herself. I really don't know anything about Furries though. I think ignorant is one of the worst things a person can be. So, I was hoping this site could help me learn.

How and when did you know you were a Furry?
Are you out? Who knows about you?
How do you express yourself?
Really, any information that can help me better understand.

Thank you.
"My hell is the closet I'm stuck inside"
Dave Matthews Band: So Much To Say

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
Re: I want to learn
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 06:48:10 AM »
Good places to learn about the furry fandom are This article on Wikipedia and This article on Wikifur.

How and when did you know you were a Furry?
Are you out? Who knows about you?
How do you express yourself?
Really, any information that can help me better understand.
1. I had found a big interest in the fandom but i didn't identify myself as a furry before only a couple of months ago.
2. Well, I'm not really going out in public or anything shouting "hello everyone, I'm a furry!" or something like that, though i do wear a dog collar almost all time (except for when I'm sleeping) and if i got the question i would answer truthfully, also most of my friends know, but not all, my mom does too, though she doesn't know so much about the fandom.
3. Hmm, i dunno really :S
4. The links above are pretty good for learning about the furry fandom.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 06:53:03 AM by Timmy the Royal Cutefox »
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Buddy

• The Culinary Kitsune
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Eldrivarian
  • Coloring: Purple
  • Height: 2 feet!
  • Weight: Rood, but he is pretty dense for a little guy
  • Build: Gooey
  • Currently: In awe seeing this old place still around after so long
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 06:50:38 AM »
i think its very noble of you to want to learn the truth about us furries. i thank you for your interest and understanding.

i cant really say when i found out i was a furry, because i have always kind of felt this way.
i am out, and my family accepys my choice. i feel extremely fortunate for this.
i like to come here on the forum and role play with my friends here. not all of them are furries, btw. anyone is free to join the forum.
i hope this helps. long days and pleasant nights.

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 12:42:36 PM »
You seem like a good girl. most people wouldnt take their time out to do this.

A good while ago, I started drawing more and more furries. I've always liked them, it just took some inward looking to figure that out.
I... guess I'm out to those who have seen my drawings, or heard me talk about furries.
I express myself both through my drawings, comics, the kinds of characters that I like and some animalistic behaviour.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Sareen

• Satan's pet
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I'm Not Insane, Just Mentally Hilarious.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Your Nightmare >:3
    • Awards
  • Species: Cabbit
  • Coloring: Black, White and Neon Green
  • Height: 5'10''
  • Weight: 121.8 lb
  • Build: Hourglass
  • Currently: Formally Known as Danta
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 02:38:55 PM »
I guess I found out I was a fur when my brother actually described what one was to me when I caught him on here once, so I an interest into it an had a look at general art and thought it would be really cool if furs were actually real. As for people knowing I'm a fur, about 3 or 4 of my friends at school know and a few in my college class know all seem accepting of it but I think that's because they don't really know what Furries are, But I express myself by drawing anthropomorphic art, and wearing my dog collar, there's probably more ways I show it but I really can't think at the moment :P.
  • Signature art by: Me (Danta)
~ Im The Finger Down Your Spine When The Lights Go Out, Im The Bad Taste You Cant Get Rid Of , Im The Nightmare You'll Never Wake Up from - Me (Danta Bloodrayn) ~
Add Me On Skype: TangoPhynix

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 02:43:58 PM »
1. I mostly just knew I was a furry after learning what a furry was and realizing I acted the same way/liked the same things, just without the term attached to it. That was about 3 years ago or so.

2. I don't normally tell people I'm a furry because, in general, people either 1) have the wrong idea about it, or 2) have no idea what a furry is. Unless "furry" comes up in conversation otherwise, it's hard to know how people think (or don't think) of it, so I don't like to be the one to bring it up. A couple people know I'm a furry, but most don't. Though if they came right out and asked me if I was, I'd most likely tell them yes.

3. I love drawing anthropomorphic characters. It has helped me a lot in improving with art and such.

4. The only way you can really define being "furry" is that you have an interest in animals and/or anthropomorphic characters. Beyond that, pretty much everyone has their own definition of what being furry means to them. There are several different aspects to the fandom, and not everyone is necessarily into the same parts of it as everyone else. The biggest problem we have is when people generalize the fandom and say "All furries are like [this] and they do [this, this, and this]. It's that simple." We've formed a community based on a common interest, and naturally there are different kinds of people within that community. We just ask not to be judged before you get to know us, just like any other person.

I would highly suggest reading Wikifur (which Timmy linked to above) for more information. Also, there is another thread here where our forum members have talked about how they became furry, which you can find here: http://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=5311.0

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.